Complaint Review: Home Depot - Ridgid Power Tools

• Submitted: Fri, August 08, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, February 10, 2013

• Reported By:Mandeville Louisiana
Home Depot - Ridgid Power Tools
888 N Highway 190 Covington, Louisiana U.S.A.

Home Depot - Ridgid Power Tools lifetime warrany a joke Covington Louisiana

*Consumer Comment: RIDGID Batteries please, not Home Depot in general

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools? Advice from a former Special service / Returns associates.

I am an electrical contractor and I purchased three Ridgid drill and sawzall combination sets in April of 2008. Apporximately a month later, I gave one of the sets to an employee. Within four days, he called me and said the sawzall blade lever would go down or hold the blade. When I checked it out, the 1/16 of an inch think piece of cast aluminum holding the clip was cracked. No other damage to the drill and absolutely no signs of abuse. After all, it was used for four days.
It took until June for me to find time to deal with the repair but, after all, I had a lifetime right! I called Ridgid and thay told me to bring the saw in to the Home Depot where I bought it. They said I had to pay a $35 fee to send it in and that would be refunded after it was determined that it was covered under warranty. I reluctantly agreed but when they called a week later, they wanted an additional $90 to fix the saw. I called and asked why it was not covered and the man told me it was abused. I asked him how an internal component of the saw could crack and the outside housing be in perfect condition. Then he came back and said he sent all the information to Ridgid and they said that the drill could not be covered because it was "normal wear and tear." At this time, I got really mad and asked the guy how a saw could be worn out in four days. He said that was the word from Ridgid and there was nothing he could do. I told him to send it back to the store unrepaired.
I figured I would take it up with the store manager and they would make it right. The manager simply looked at me and said Ridgid does what Ridgid does. Take it up with them.
Upon calling Rigid, they told me that the service center has the ultimate say so and all I could do was bring it to another service center and try my luck with them, after paying another $35.

NEVER AGAIN!

Jason
Mandeville, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2008 06:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot-Ridgid-Power-Tools/Covington-Louisiana-70433/Home-Depot-Ridgid-Power-Tools-lifetime-warrany-a-joke-Covington-Louisiana-360660. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot - Ridgid Power Tools

RIDGID Batteries please, not Home Depot in general

AUTHOR: zackbass - (United States of America)

Excuse me, your expert opinion about Home Depot's policies may be absolutely correct, but the topic here is the extraordinary (and often violated) "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on Ridgid BATTERIES.  Do you have any informative knowledge about THAT?

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on manufacturers defects and design flaws etc.

It definitly does not cover abuse (subjective to many criteria), or normal wear and tear. I am not defending THD but if you are an honest person... which I tended to believe most people are... You would be blown away at what people try to return. AND what THD takes back and wastes.

They have a lot of internal issues that affect returns. The returns people are not trained. I just happened to have what equals a degree in both vendor returns and customer returns when I started working there. I saw one guy take back a wet wax seal ring for the toilet, it was "broke" when the customer missed placing the toilet on top. LOL , I asked him. "Ah, dude, do you know what your holding?"

That being said. You can return just about anything for a refund withn the first 30 days. That I would insist on. I would ask for the MOD. Manager on duty. The kids at the returns desk are not trained at all on warranties abuse, THD warranty arrangements with the Manufacturer, they may not even know what a Authorized Sevice is. Returns is like the plumbing isle, associates avoid it like the plague.

What it comes down to is ... if it was a manufacturers defect or damaged in shipping, stick to your guns and elevate to the store manager to the regional manager and eventually you will find someone that can't be bothered with such petty things (to the mgr) , (not petty to you), and he/she will let the MOD take it back.

IF RIDGID tells you to return it to the store. ALWAYS Ask them for a reference number or RGA, RMA number or a letter you can bring into the store.

Unfortunately the small percentage that abuse the system... a lot of contractors... sorry dude, ruin it for others. First of all each department has a budget each month and if they are close to or exceeding this max, they are less likely to exchange.

If you have a Ridgid tool that is 4 days old that doesn't work. Just pack it up pretty, it makes a huge difference to just take a minute to wipe it down. Tell them you don't want it. You did state that it looked brand new right? That way there are no red flags.
HOWEVER, if you try to return something to several stores it will flag in the system. It will record all attempts to return. Especially if it is a high theft item such as tools or expensive thermostats.

After two , it will prompt to call a mgr. You also will be flagged every time after that for too many attempts or too many returns. UNLESS you have a Contractors Home Depot credit card. This card allows almost everything but John Deere to be returned, no questions.even stuff from other stores if they carry it. Using this card also prompts their software to circumvent the usual abuse iand flagging issues.

What it comes down to is the idiots that use, say a tile saw, finish their bathroom in their home and want to return it with a rusty blade Etc. stating they just didn't like it or they never used it, got it as a present. I happened to work at THD near a reservation that had lost of gambleaholics and drugies abusing the system and ruining it for the rest of us.

THD is well aware and tired of contractors using the equipment balls out and coming into the store, buying a new one and returning the old one on the new receipt. Hardware and the store have to eat the shrink which directly hits the Assistant managers bonus. They don't pay their ASM's enough and they are responsible for way too much. Some are happy with about $17 an hour. That was a joke to me for the work they did. I just worked there part time coming from the computer industry making what equates to 26 per hr. They are always there over 50 hrs.There is a high turnover and when you add issue with taking $500.00 off their bonus, it just doesn't work.

That is why I don't work there. That is why I didn't take any promotions positions that were offered. Because of my past experience I could not get a raise because it would exceed my supervisor. This is why you have young energetic, power hungry punks that are managers. They practically default into the department head and manager positions because the educated/experienced folks know better than to take a salary position and it ain't worth is to gettn' r done.

In closing of this inside info. I loved working there but they have so many problems with the HQ in Atlanta controls issues and resentment, they need to have a serious overhaul. They have no incentives for the employees. They still run on the idea that to correct a problem involves screaming at the employee and humiliation. They took away most of the chachkis. No discount. You needed to supply your own pens and buy any home depot hats etc. It's laughable.

Unfortunately the good managers that actually "Get It" are abuse by making their schedule and tasks impossible to achieve. So they leave.

Good Luck, I hope I gave you some insight. I know lots and lots more and would love to tell you the crap that they do. Suprisingly they didn't make me sign a Non Disclosure Agreement and all that I say is true anyway.

Take care.