Complaint Review: Home Depot

*General Comment: Really....

*Author of original report: Example

*Consumer Comment: Interesting

*Consumer Comment: All that education..yet

*Author of original report: Educated still.

I am a 32 year old psychiatrist who just moved to Keene New Hampshire. I own a medical company and have been opening a new facility in Keene for the last month. I was required to attain a building permit to replace some outdated fixtures at my property.

My contractor gave me a list of items I needed. The closest hardware store with the items I required was Home Depot #3488, about a mile from my business. I have purchased roughly $9,800.00 worth of materials from this store in the last three weeks. All the way from paint to auxiliary emergency lights.

Today my electrical contractor informed me that he had read the wrong code requirement in his code book and that 6 items I had purchased weren't required for my business classification.

I took back the items, 6 total, packaged new, non-opened. I didn't bother finding my reciept since I knew that the normal method of a return transaction is store credit. I didn't mind that option since I knew I would be immediately turning around and buying a lawn mower. I didn't think that the transaction would be a big deal.

I arrived, items in hand and was amazed when I was told that my return was "Rejected." I asked "How is it rejected?" She replied, "I don't know, call this number." She then mentioned that I had probably made too many returns without a reciept. Now. I have never returned anything to Home Depot. Ever. So I asked to speak to the General Manager, Charles Sailisberry.

I get not having a reciept, but telling me that I was "Rejected" peaked my curiosity. I waited eagerly for the manager, and knew that he would fix this problem immediately.

The manager arrived. He began by asking for my ID, which I gave. He then told me after running it in his computer that I wasn't able to make any returns at the store and that I would have to call a number he printed out. He even went as far to say that an item I had to return wasn't purchased at the store. When I mentioned how much I had spent there, he shook his head as if he didn't care.

Once I arrived back at home, I told my spouse about this issue. Naturally shocked by the situation, she looked the number up on the internet and found out that even people with reciepts are being turned away from being able to return their items. Something about a third party company running a check on your drivers license. Now. I know that this third party system is broken.

My drivers license is brand new. Less than 3 days old. I just moved from Tennessee to New Hampshire. New license number, new everything. I even had my middle name changed last year and now this company is saying that they've reviewed my license number and I have made too many returns at stores? Impossible.

I never return anything and my identity is practically new. A computer running a scan on a new license number and a name that has never been involved in a single return transaction.

After having read other accounts of horror with individuals who had reciepts being rejected, I'm afraid that when I try to return these items tomorrow, it is going to become a hassle. I have almost $400.00 of items brand new in package with reciept.

If Home Depot wants to claim that they make the return policy known to customers, it is a false claim. Yes the claim is on the reciept. It states that they can limit or reject your returns. I know this now, after it has become an issue. However, you have to buy the items first to even get a reciept. If it is posted anywhere else, it isn't obvious where consumers can see it without making an effort to go read information boards. Nobody does that.

After today, regardless if I get an exchange tomorrow, in the future I will choose to drive over an hour away to visit Lowes for my purchases. From what I've read Lowes doesn't use a broken third party company to choose whether or not my business is good business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2013 06:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot/Keene-New-Hampshire-03431/Home-Depot-Valid-return-wrongfully-rejected-Keene-New-Hampshire-1056113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot

#1 General Comment

Really....

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

You DID NOT have a receipt. Period. Its not about ethics. Its about you attempting to get your way. You think your entitled to have that refund simply because you spent money there. And youre supposedly the head doctor. Use some of your own "medicine" doc. Try and think about this without your emotional baggeage hanging you up. Use some LOGIC!!

You go in with no receipt. You expect that you will be getting your money back. They deny your return, you have a hissy fit. Think about it. Its obvious to anyone who posts here regularly. YOU HAVE SELF ENTITLMENT ISSUES!!Period. They are a business. And as such, they have corporate policies THEY MUST FOLLOW. Even the manager. If they do not they will be terminated. So since you couldnt be bothered to bring in a receipt how do you expect them to do the return. Its $400!! Most major corporations only give managers a $50.00 rule. You blew past that by 7x the amount.

Now given that you have been informed of what powers managment might have had. Lets address the computer system shall we?? YOUR ID is new. But the number on your ID IS NOT!!! Those numbers are circulated and recycled. Much like cellphone numbers. That being said, it is entirely possible that SOMEONE in the past two years has used that particular number in a fraud attempt at Home Depot. That is a very high possibility. The manager the employees hell even the janitorial staff have no clue as to who you are, or what you do. Even if you spent half of thier shift TELLING them, they wouldnt care after thier shift was over and would forget you the next day. So they dont know if your the person who commited the original fraud or not. They only have the information provided by the company and its system.

Since you apperently charge off a half million a year, how about thinking about someone other then yourself. That manager, the associate you dealt with, every person you have dealt with since the beginging of your issue would be fired if they did your return with no receipt. WOULD YOU PAY THIER BILLS? ARE YOU GOING TO HIRE THEM?? ARE YOU GOING TO PAY OUT OF YOUR POCKET??

No...I dont think you would. So try and find the reciept if you can. If not then lesson learned. Keep ALL your receipts in a secure location. Lord knows you need them for tax purposes anyways. And remember they are ppl too. They may not have had the benefits of a college level education, but that doesnt mean they are less because of it.

Try and approach the manager. As youre a shrink, and probably have great credit, then you probably paid with a credit card. They can do a search for any purchases on that card. You can get a receipt printout. Once you have that, if the manager still refuses to assist you, call the corporate customer service number. Explain the situation without resorting to snobbery or useing "big words". The CS ppl take a lot of shit off of ppl. They have to listen to all types of problems. Take pity on them and dont be one of those callers. Be nice and polite even if your frustrated. It gets you much further. Then again, you knew that already from 101.

Example

AUTHOR: Micah - ()

Since my issue is about business ethics, I should break it down for Robert who obviously doesn't own a business and probably works for Home Depot.

Example:

Robert brings his daughter in for a well child check up at one of my clinics.

After Robert's daughter has been seen by my physician, he walks up with his insurance card to pay.

I say "Oh I'm sorry Rob, I'm not accepting that insurance today,(which I can do) you will have to pay me in cash."

So you now owe me for a level three pediatric well child office visitation at a standard payout of $90.00, which is what Medicare would pay out for a basic level three first patient visit.

You now owe me $90.00 dollars instead of your low co-pay or no co pay since well child visits are typically considered preventitive care and are normally covered at 100% by insurance companies, now you owe me only because I didn't feel like treating a customer with respect.

So now, you get your feelings hurt, you go to RipOff Report and bash my business detailed out in horrid grammar for something I did that was totally legal.

I get that Home Depot reserves the right to deny a return with a reciept and that it is legal. Is it good business ethic? No, it isn't. If Lowes does it to me, they will lose that business. If Jack's Mom and Pop hardward does it to me, I leave that business.

Calling people stupid over a legitimate complaint only 20 minutes after I left it means that you have nothing better in your life to do but troll the internet.

The only reason I get upset enough to reply to these types of comments is that between threeof my clinics I charge off at least a half million a year in unpaid debt from people who can't afford health care. I don't hound them, or call them. I understand that we are in a recession and that some things like food come first for families. They pay me when they can, I'm not hurting.

Home Depot isn't hurting either, but the $400.00 that should be mine could be used to keep buying supplies for people who can't afford care.

Interesting

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

All that education yet you cannot spell receipt!!!  I have never had one problem returning items to Lowes or Home Depot.

All that education..yet

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

All that education..yet you still try to put the blame everywhere except where it truly belongs.  If you are not sure where that is..then just go ahead and look in the mirror.

The fact is that you are blaming Home Depot for holding to their policy because you didn't feel like locating the receipt and didn't feel like reading the terms..after all no one else does it.  As to being "rejected"..perhaps it wasn't past returns..perhaps it was trying to return over $400 worth of items without a receipt.  After all it isn't like you were returning a roll of masking tape...well unless the masking tape was coated in gold.

Oh and guess what..Lowes won't let you return things without a receipt either.  The one thing that Lowes does have is if you were to freekin' lazy to locate the receipt, if you paid by credit card or provided your phone number at time of purchase they can look it up for you.  Of course if they still can't find it..just like Home Depot they have the right to deny the refund.

Educated still.

AUTHOR: Micah - ()

My claim is of a third party company not having the correct information and Home Depot allowing this to continue. I do have a reciept. You only get a reciept after you purchase items. You sound angry.