Complaint Review: Home Depot

• Reported By: Cyd — Macomb Michigan United States of America
Home Depot
Van Dyke Sterling Hts., Michigan United States of America

Home Depot Problems with store merchandise credit Sterling Hts., Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Home depot Consolidate your systems.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Return Credit Refusal

*Consumer Comment: Then why did you lie?

*Consumer Comment: Cyd, you changed your story

*Consumer Comment: As Ken stated in a similar post..

*Consumer Comment: You are the ignoramus here

*Author of original report: Issued store credit even WITH a receipt

*Consumer Comment: What the hell is wrong with you?

*Consumer Comment: Here's a tip:

I'm having the same problem with HOME DEPOT store merchandise credit as the other person on here.  Funny part of it is that I got about 10 different stories from 10 different people.  NOBODY knows what they're talking about.  It wasn't until my last call to that 1-800 number on my receipt that the lady finally put it into perspective for me.

Just like the other guy on here, I made a return of an item that wasn't on the original receipt (first "ding").  They gave me store credit.  I spent it, then tried to return the item a couple months later (secong "ding").  Their computer wouldn't allow the return.  I spent another portion of the merchandise credit on several small items about a month later, including using my credit card for part of it.  Tried to return some of the items about two weeks later.  They again refused the return because of the usage of the store credit.  Mind you, the amount of the refund could have easily been put back on the credit card (was less than I charged on it to begin with), but because it had even a small amount of store credit attached to the receipt, their computers wouldn't allow ANY kind of a refund off that receipt.

As far as I'm concerned, they stole money from me.  There wasn't any reason why they couldn't have issued me credit back to my credit card.  I paid over $60 worth of the bill on my card, and the return was less than $50 worth of merchandise.  For the fact that $12 of the purchase was on store credit, they refused the entire return.

Basically, if you're having trouble getting a refund after spending in-store merchandise credit, you need to stop trying to make the return for at least 90 days, then try to make the return WITHOUT your receipt.  You will have to accept credit for the entire amount, even if the original receipt was paid with credit card or cash in addition to store credit.  The woman at that 1-800 number on my receipt then told me to make sure to use the store credit only for items that would NOT be returned, otherwise I would have the same problem again.

After all this crap, personally, I wouldn't want to ever enter one of their stores ever again, but because I'm going to be stuck with receiving even MORE store credit on a credit card receipted return (which should be illegal for them to force that), then I have no choice but to spend the entire amount of that purchase back in the store.

The lady at the 1-800 number that I called told me in no uncertain terms that even if my credit card payment portion was $700.00, and I tried to return just $5.00 worth of items on that receipt, that I would be stuck with a $700.00 store credit eventually that I would be forced to respend in the store.  She told me there is nothing they can do for me.  They can't reverse the computer's decision or push any buttons from their end to get the refund to go through.  They are merely there to computer control refunds of store credit purchases and tell customers why their return did not go through.  THERE IS NOTHING MORE THEY CAN DO FOR YOU!!!

I hope nobody gets screwed on a high ticket purchase, therefore this warning to consumers.  In the future, DO NOT GET/SPEND HOME DEPOT GIFT CARDS OR STORE CREDIT.  Sell them to someone else- a contractor perhaps-- that doesn't return items purchased there.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2012 07:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot/Sterling-Hts-Michigan-48314/Home-Depot-Problems-with-store-merchandise-credit-Sterling-Hts-Michigan-868870. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot

Home depot Consolidate your systems.

AUTHOR: Ulifestyles - ()

Sometimes customers have receipts but if it is a phone order or a pro desk order, you force clients to go out of their way to deal with the same store.  It's easier to accept store credit than spend and gas going to a store out of their way.  The fact customers aret willing to spend money in your store and accept store credit should not be a way to target them so if they did use a combination of store credit and other form of payment for your company to desperately hang on to those funds and force a client into a situation. If your company doesn't want to allow returns at all.  State so on your receipts as your policy, do not manipulate your clients.  If you understand the builiding industry, you would have a better understanding of the volume of purchases a client makes at your store and that on few occations ther will be returns. limiting returns on a client that does volume purchasing is poor business.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Return Credit Refusal

AUTHOR: Milt - ()

I too was victimized by the Home Depot Return Policy.

I admit I have returned a number of items without a receipt.  But my latest problem involved a purchase of over $300 using gift Cards, my Credit Card, and a $14 store credit.

The next day I attempted to return about $50 of the merchandise and was denied the return because of the Store Credit shown on the receipt.

I am a contractor who completes many jobs.  When I purchase material for a job, I usually purchase a little extra, to insure I have enough to complete the task at hand.  When the job is finished, I return the left over items.  I generally try to use Store Credits for items I do not plan to return, but this time I slipped up and had two items that I purchased that would not fit on the job being completed.  My attempt to return or even exchange the items for a better fitting size was refused, because of the small store credit on the receipt.

I was told by the Store Manager to retain the items for at least 90 days and then return them without a receipt.  Hopefully, the return would be allowed and I would then receive another store credit.

This is criminal behavior.  I am being denied the use of my funds for 90 days, even though I purchased the items with Gift Cards and a Credit Card, and must wait to see if the computer will allow me to return the items 90 days later.  The Store Manager stressed that I should return the items without a receipt, because the computer will track the receipt and see that a Store Credit was used and probably deny me again.  I must let 90 days lapse so the attempted return will go away from the system (maybe).

I realize they are trying to prevent fraud, but this is way out of line.

Then why did you lie?

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

You originally stated:

"Just like the other guy on here, I made a return of an item that wasn't on the original receipt (first "ding").  They gave me store credit "

You claimed that you made a return of an item that was not on the reciept you had. That means you did a return with no reciept. Why wasn't the item on the reciept you had? Where is the reciept for the item you purchased?

My advice still stands, return items with their proper reciepts and you will not have any issues. You are clearly a serial returner and home depot will likely be happy to get rid of you as a customer. Every time someone returns an item to a store it costs them money. The more returns, the more money, they need to cut down on this.

Cyd, you changed your story

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"I made a return of an item that wasn't on the original receipt"

"the original return WAS made with a receipt"

That's two versions of the story.

"if my credit card payment portion was $700.00, and I tried to return just $5.00 worth of items on that receipt, that I would be stuck with a $700.00 store credit"

You stated that you would receive a $700 credit for a $5 return. Now that's a great deal!

As Ken stated in a similar post..

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

The merchants are better off without your business.

You are the ignoramus here

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

You clearly said the original return (the one you got the store credit for) was done without a receipt. Besides, what difference does it make whether or not you have the receipt?  Most return fraud occurs with a receipt.  It sounds like you are making way too many returns, and their system is clamping down on it, just like it's designed to do.  Returns cost retailers money, and they are now using these systems to detect wardrobing/renting/other return fraud (which sounds exactly like what you are doing).  Perhaps stop making so many impulsive purchases, and you won't have so many problems with their return policy.

Issued store credit even WITH a receipt

AUTHOR: Cyd - (United States of America)

I'm not sure who you are exactly, but I can tell you this-- the original return WAS made with a receipt you ignoramous.  It happened to have been a purchase originally made with one of THEIR gift cards.   Don't go making grand assumptions about people unless you have all the facts moron.  I'm neither a thief, nor am I trying in any way shape or form to scam a store.  It was a purchase and return made a couple of times with store credit given back from returns on a gift card purchase.  They have NO REASON to not refund store credit on a store credit receipt.

Listen to what your mother always told you.  If you don't have anything constructive to say, then perhaps you should say nothing!

What the hell is wrong with you?

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

First you are apparently unable to save your receipts (this is not a difficult task) and then it seems like you want to return most of the things you buy.

It makes them (and me) wonder what kind of scam you're running.  I don't think I've returned more than 10 or 15 things in my entire life, probably not even that many.

Something goofy is going on here, what sneaky things are you doing?

Here's a tip:

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Stop trying to return things without reciepts. In both these stories on this site the trouble all started when an item was returned without a reciept. Of course stores are going to watch customers that return items without a reciept. That is the most common scam that retailers face. I guaruntee that if you had returned the original item with a reciept you wouldn't be having any of these issues in the first place.