Complaint Review: Home Depot

Home Depot
, Virginia USA

Home Depot Wood shrinkage after building deck Richmond Virginia

*Author of original report: Shrinkage

*Consumer Comment: What are you, new?

The first part of 2014 around March I bought deck boards from Home Depot to replace my aging deck boards that were split and popping up. The boards in question were advertised as 5/4 by 6 inch. I used the 12 foot lengths. I spent at least $725 including screws and sealer  for redoing the top surface. I bought the wood at different intervals usually 15 to 20 boards at a time.

I installed the boards (with 2 screws every 16 to 20 inches across more at joints) butted as close to each other as possible both from the side and end to end. After about 30 days I noticed some gaps showing up between the boards where there was none at first.  Next, I applied Thonpsons water seal after the designated time on the container had passed over 30 days in full sun. A few weeks later, the gaps continued to expand to about 3/8 inch in some places. I took some of my tickets ( what I could find)  to the Home Depot on Broad near Dickens Road and explained situation. [continued below]....

..... After considerable talk, the assistant manager allowed me a credit of $120 which I felt was really not enough considering all the labor involved.

Now, it is June and most of my deck boards have contiued to shrink to in some cases gaps of 1/2 inch and greater which along with the end to end gaps and warping leave a trip hazard at best, not to mention an unsightly mess of all my hard work. I trusted Home Depot to give me a reasonable quality product for my money and all I got was a big mess that I don't know what to do with. Some boards measure 5 1/4 inch which is in my opinion false advertising for a so called 6 inch which I realize will be some less for finishing the edges approx 5 3/4.

My deck is now a mess and safety hazard and I don't even want to look at it depressing to say the least.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/09/2014 09:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot/Virginia-23228/Home-Depot-Wood-shrinkage-after-building-deck-Richmond-Virginia-1153234. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot

Shrinkage

AUTHOR: deckbuilder - ()

I know a certain amount of shrinkage is allowable but 5 3/4 down to 5 1/4 is more than acceptable.

1/2 inch between boards is rediculous Maybe you are not very particular about your work but I expect more.  I have build decks before but never had this much change in the lumber.

If you like gaps between your deck boards I suggest you go and buy from the same place I did.

What are you, new?

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

Seriously? You're upset that lumber shrinks? This is nothing new, it's part of the process of the wood curing. The store didn't "rip you off" it sold you a product that react the way it ALWAYS reacts. If you wanted something that would never shrink you should have bought composite decking.