Complaint Review: Home Depot

Home Depot

Home Depot Shared SKU-a new way to bait and switch Internet

*Consumer Comment: Maybe so Maybe

*Consumer Comment: I agree basically

I searched on the internet for an outdoor storage cabinet and found one by Suncast model # BMS1500.  Home Depot was listed as the supplier.  I went to the Home Depot web site, found the item listed with a photo and reviews. I had the option to order it and pick it up in store.  I could even check to see that my local store had inventory--which it did, 3 of them.  I went to the store to pick it up and surprise -- it was a Rubbermaid model 3749.

When I contacted Suncast they said that Home Depot does not sell their item in the West and "shares" an SKU with the Rubbermaid product.

Home Depot does have a statement on the description for the BMS 1500 Note: Product may vary by store, but that is a poor hint that the picture and item number you see on the screen and on your order is NOT the item that will be provided. Not even the same manufacturer.

I think that once I checked inventory for my local Home Depot store I should have been advised at that time that the Suncast BMS1500 was not available.  I wasted a trip to pick it up.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2012 06:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot/internet/Home-Depot-Shared-SKU-a-new-way-to-bait-and-switch-Internet-896819. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot

Maybe so Maybe

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

Maybe we can go against Team Rebutt for fraud, luv you

I agree basically

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

While they didn't rip you off per se, it is bad form to replace one product with another. They should inform you of whats actually available. Where I disagree is you calling this bait and switch.

" Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are "switched" to a costlier product. "

Were you coming in on advertising on one product and then switched to a costlier product? If they were substituting one product for another at the same price, then its not bait and switch by the definition. If it were, you could go after them for fraud.