Complaint Review: Home Warranty Of America

• Submitted: Mon, December 18, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, December 26, 2007

• Reported By:poughkeepsie New York
Home Warranty Of America
P.O.Box 4050, Northbrook, IL 60065 Northbrook, Illinois U.S.A.

Home Warranty Of America HWA denies service request for no heat when called at 12 midnight saying that it must be at least 20 degrees or colder outside for a service request Northbrook Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: Kimberly, that sounds like a threat to me!

*Author of original report: Home Warranty of America....

*UPDATE Employee: glad you got your money back

*Author of original report: I won against Home Warranty of America......

*UPDATE Employee: learn how to read the contract

I came home at 12 midnight on Monday morning 12/18/2006 and saw that my house was freezing, 49 degrees. I called HWA immediately and requested service since I paid them $470 on 8/21/2006 for the 5-star gold coverage for one year.

The answering service said that it must be 20 degrees or colder outside before a service tech could be called off hours. Other wise it has to wait for normal business hours. I called back again at 2:30 am on 12/18/2006 since I am totally freezing and cannot sleep, reviewed the online HWA website and my paperwork and no where does it say that it must be 20 degrees or colder before a service tech is called or that only service during normal business hours is allowed. HWA's website says 24/7 coverage. I paid them $470 for 24/7 coverage and want heat during the winter. I want my natural gas furnace working and I want them to refund my money if they are not willing to fullfill their promise and commitment. I further want the attorney general for the state that they reside in to have this company put out of business. This company is a total rip off that has to be stopped.

Kimberly
Poughkeepsie, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2006 01:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Warranty-Of-America/Northbrook-Illinois-60065/Home-Warranty-Of-America-HWA-denies-service-request-for-no-heat-when-called-at-12-midnight-225974. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Warranty Of America

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Kimberly, that sounds like a threat to me!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Kimberly,

I would print out this entire topic here on ROR and fax and mail it to every corporate address and fax# you can find.

This jerk needs to be fired. That was surely a threat towards your credit report.

Home Warranty of America....

AUTHOR: Kimberly - (U.S.A.)

Mike E.

You sound like you are threatening me......You should be aware that the Illinios Attorney General has approx 50 complaints against Home Warranty of America for refusing to honor the warranty contracts.

Your company is a total scam and should be put out of business immediately. I told the credit card company the facts and also showed them the complaint that was filed with the Illinois Attorney General.

glad you got your money back

AUTHOR: Mik E - (U.S.A.)

I am glad you got your refund just be sure to check your credit report if you went to your credit card company did you say you did not make the charge? or what other excuse did you make? as to the contract you did not read it otherwise you would see where it clearly states that service will be during normal business hours unless determined by HWA to be a life threatening emergency OR THE HOMEOWNER WILL BE RESPOSIBLE FOR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REGULAR AND OVERTIME RATES. so it is not that you could not get service in the middle of the night you would have just had to pay the difference in cost

I won against Home Warranty of America......

AUTHOR: Kimberly - (U.S.A.)

I am Kimberly from Poughkeepsie who froze with no heat and paid $470 for a 24/7
contract with HOme Warranty of America. They provided no service, a total scam of a company. I filed with the Illinois attorney general's office and was told they had at least 35 complaints against Home Warranty of America that they were working to resolve.

Employee Mike should get his facts correct, I did read the contract and did not get the service I paid for. BUT....I did get 100% refund of my $470 by going to my credit card company. I should have done that from the
very start.

SO.....to all the people that have been scammed by Home Warranty of America and paid by credit card, don't fight or waste your breath, this company should be put out of business immediately, call your credit card companies immediately and get your refunds like I did. I now contracted with a heating company to service my natural gas heating and air conditioning system.

learn how to read the contract

AUTHOR: Mik E - (U.S.A.)

You would not have a problem like this if you bothered to read your contract in section III letter B youwould see thatit says if you wish service outside normal business hours you will be responsible for the additional cost. So it is not as you imply that they would not send anyone out it was that since it did not meet the guidelines for an emergency that you wouldhave to pay for the overtime. youshould at least give all the information.