instrument

Complaint Review: Horse sense training petting zoo

• Submitted: Sun, November 25, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, December 06, 2012

• Reported By: sam — sturgoen county Alberta Cape Verde
Horse sense training petting zoo
54410 range rd 255 sturgeon county ab t8t0t9 St Albert, Alberta United States of America

Horse sense training petting zoo sonya abused a young 14 year girl and hurt her bad St Albert, Alberta

*UPDATE Employee: Lies & False Allegations

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: look what did to this TB mare she hurt.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: she animal abuser to look what did to that TB Mare

*Consumer Comment: Riding Club

*Consumer Comment: K & G Equine

*Consumer Comment: Shocking false claims

*UPDATE Employee: Bets place to be!!

*UPDATE Employee: Great Barn, False Information

*UPDATE Employee: Just because you say it doen't make it true

*UPDATE Employee: False Information!!! Horse Sense is a Positive Environment

*Author of original report: Yes this is true

I am writting this report because I do not want any more kids or people and horses to get hurt from Horse sense training petting zoo Soyna Steiner. Sonya came out to my place and yeld at one of my girls till she started crying and trembling until we had to get someone to escort her off the property. I have met with many parents that have had the same experance with this lady and thier kids being abuse mentily and physically. She yells and screams at the kids during their riding lessons till they break down and start crying. She feels this type of learning and training is ok. She makes her students clean her barn and do chorse when they pay for their lessons and the boarding of their horses.. This is not what so ever condusive to a learning enviroment but a bulling concept that she feels is appropriate. And we all know how kids react to continuous bulling tactics. Yet from a trainer or an adult.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/25/2012 11:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Horse-sense-training-petting-zoo/St-Albert-Alberta-t8t0t9/Horse-sense-training-petting-zoo-sonya-abused-a-young-14-year-girl-and-hurt-her-bad-St-Al-973386. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Horse sense training petting zoo

Lies & False Allegations

AUTHOR: Christel C - ()

I'm a student that works for Sonya Steiner at Horse Sense Training & Petting Zoo. This is my fourth year working at this barn.

On Sunday May 12, 2013, I was at the barn when Kevin Peacock and Gary Anselmo picked up the horse: Sky Happy.

It was around 11:00 am, the time Sonya is normally at church, when I was in the office working on the Horse Sense website. The previous day, I was with Sonya when someone called her asking if Kevin could pick up the horse. Sonya very clearly stated that Kevin and Gary were not welcome on the property, but that they could send someone else to pick her up.

However, regardless of this, Kevin and Gary drove up on property at approximately 11:00am. At this time, Sonya told me to call the Morinville RCMP. While I was looking up the number, Sonya went outside and told Kevin and Gary they had to leave, because they're not welcome. They began calling her a "crazy lady", and drove back down the driveway. I called the RCMP, and Sonya asked what we could do about trespassing. They had to appear in court with Sonya because of this charge. Kevin and Gary NEVER charged Sonya for animal abuse. They tried calling the SPCA, and they did come to the barn. The officers that have come to Horse Sense since this event have not found anything wrong with the welfare of our animals. Call the SPCA, or an animal control cop in the area and ask them yourselves.

These guys came around the barn when Sonya is usually gone to church. If she hadn't been around the barn then it would have just been me, and I would've felt extremely threatened and uncomfortable by having these guys who KNOW they shouldn't be on property trying to take this horse. You would think that common sense would have told them not to come up the driveway. They could've called the barn and asked if we could bring the horse down to them off property like mature adults. Instead they decided to act like children, drive up to the barn and insult Sonya. It was extremely rude.

It was agreed upon that Kevin and Gary could pick up Sky Happy at the end of the driveway - off property - at 1:00, at the supervision of a constable. WE called the RCMP to arrange this. The RCMP officer was at the barn to supervise the hand off because WE called them. The horse was not "seized" from the property or from Sonya. This is a complete lie made by K&G so that they can make Sonya look bad. It's a sick joke.

To make the horse feel more comfortable walking away from her friends, we took her down the driveway with another horse. We did not have a chain on either one. I led Sky Happy, and Sonya led the other. On the way down, Sky Happy panicked when attempting to pass the emu, miniature cow, and goose. She pushed past me, nearly running me down, then reared and ripped the rope out of my hands. We were told that she is a kid broke horse. This horse could have seriously injured me.

After this, Sonya put a chain on Sky Happy, and was able to lead her down the driveway where the Constable, and Kevin and Gary were waiting. Sonya never once hit the horse or abused her with the chain. We took her down with 3 of the girls that were riding so that the horse would feel more comfortable. At this time, Kevin and Gary took the horse and loaded her into the trailer.

I was present at the barn for the duration of this horse's stay at Horse Sense. I personally brought food and water to the horse, under Sonya's instruction. This horse was NOT abused.

When being LED inside the arena at our barn she reared and flipped herself over - let me just note once again this was a "kid broke horse" that was being led around at a WALK inside the arena. Not being abused. What if a kid had been on her back when this happened? She could've killed a child!!! Regardless, she did hurt herself and the vet was called. Every time a horse gets hurt you can't accuse the trainer of abuse. That's an serious allegation and A FALSE accusation made by Kevin and Gary. She was NEVER hit by anyone at the barn or "ABUSED" with chains. That's just a bunch of lies and garbage.

This horse was treated with great care at Horse Sense. Everyone liked the mare very much, and helped out after she injured herself. I personally brought her food and water during her stay. So saying that she was neglected is an insult to everyone at the barn that worked hard to help her. She was drinking, and eating, and even when she arrived at the barn she had a slim-thoroughbred figure. She wasn't at Horse Sense for a long time, when you move a horse from barn to barn it can be stressful and this can result in weight loss. You can't expect her to put on 50 pounds in the span of 2-3 weeks, especially after she injured herself. Had the horse been at Horse Sense for a couple of months she would have been much healthier, as can be observed by how healthy all of the other horses are at the barn. Why would we neglect only one horse? This is clearly just a bunch of lies meant to ruin Sonya's reputation.

At horse sense we have 25+ boarder and leasers. And we have had many horses come through the training program this year. If Sonya abused horses none of us would be at this barn. I personally would've left a long time ago. But I have only ever seen Sonya treat horses with the utmost care. She knows her way around horses extremely well, and she cares about her animals immensely. It's ridiculous to read someone saying she would treat an animal in a poor way.

These statements made by K&G equine were made with malicious intentions, and are completely false accusations against Sonya Steiner. They are extremely serious and FALSE criminal accusations.

If you have read this false statement made by K&G/Spartacus Stables and are concerned, please remember to take the time to come out and visit us at Horse Sense. Please come and see the quality of care the animals receive, and see how healthy all of the animals are. Anyone can say things on the internet and spread all these lies like K&G but if you come and visit Horse Sense nothing can be hidden - you can see with your own eyes how we treat the animals.

Please feel free to email me as well if you have any concerns, and we can discuss the matter: volleyball.girlz@hotmail.com

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

look what did to this TB mare she hurt.

AUTHOR: anonymous - ()

Take look what did to that TB mare that sonya abused. She went crazy in the court house in mornville. This lady needs be stoped.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

she animal abuser to look what did to that TB Mare

AUTHOR: anonymous - ()

Look at yhe rest of the ripoff reports. How hurt that TB mare and how she went crazy in the court house.

People need be awareif this sonya lady.I

Riding Club

AUTHOR: Riding Club - (United States of America)

Horse Sense and Sonya have been very supportive and accomodating in starting a new Riding Club. She has welcomed us in for practices and play days at her riding areana.

We have invited her students/boarders/volunteers to come join in the fun. All of her students are very positve and willing to learn, her horses are well cared for and very well trained. Without Sonya and Horse Sense we would not be able to continue to have regular practices in the winter months. We enjoy trailering in and having fun with all her students and horses. We greatly appreciate Sonya and her efforts to helping our club grow. She is a very caring and supportive person and all of her students/volunteers are very positve and love being there to help out and ensure all the animals are well cared for.

Thank you Sonya and Horse Sense!

K & G Equine

AUTHOR: Monica Thomas - (United States of America)

I believe these reports were written by Kevin at "K & G Equine" - wanna-be competitors of Sonya at Horse Sense. "K & G Equine" are not competitors of Sonya's because Horse Sense is out of "K & G's" league. Sonya provides services far above "K & G Equine" - compare the facilities at both places and see for yourself; Horse Sense is by far a superior facility with knowledgeable, trained staff. "K & G Equine" has written false reports about Sonya at Horse Sense in attempts to deter Sonya's current clients and any prospective clients. I can attest to this first-hand because Kevin told me several lies about Sonya and Horse Sense in attempts to deter my decision to move my horse to Horse Sense. Horse Sense is truly a safe place to board your horse, take lessons or gain valuable equestrian insights. Check out Horse Sense; you won't be disappointed!

Shocking false claims

AUTHOR: Annoyed - (Canada)

We have been part of the Horse Sence Family for over 4 years, and I have to say that I am completely shocked to hear of this claim. We are at the barn so much that I'm sure some people think we live there. I have never seen or heard of any child being abused verbally and especially not physically. Sonya has always been there for us and helped us in any way she could weather it was an issue with our horses or something that we needed to work on with our riding or even when it's not barn related. I have full faith in Sonya and Horse Sence with the welfare of our animals. Its pretty sad when a person lowers themselves to these standards and feels the need to try and destroy someone's livelyhood and reputation. Learning how to look after a horse is the first thing you should learn along with the shoveling and sweeping .......it's called responsibility.

Bets place to be!!

AUTHOR: Horse Sense luver - (Canada)

I cant beileve some of you ppeople can say this about Sonya!! She is an amazing peson and has allowed me to do so much at the barn. I have volunteered for almost a year and took riding lessons, I have loved every minute of it. No time is wasted in the saddle and by you saying that she abuses kids in her lesson program is not true. Sonya helps you to conquer you're fears by making you go out of you're comfort zone. this is not a bad thing because if you stay in you're comfort zone you're whole life you will never get better. When I first cam to horse sense I did not know anything about horses since then I have learned so much about horses; like they can feel when you are nervous, that is why sonya always says to stay calm. Saying that she abuses her animals is the biggest false acquesation someone could make. she cares so much about her animals and never lets one go a day without love. You can tell that this information is not true or else there would be a whole bunch of people saying this. Even when boarders leave Sonya's barn  she is never mad at them she just hopes they will find another good barn. During the summer i spent almost everyday at horse sense that is because it is a great place to be!

- Payton Brown

Great Barn, False Information

AUTHOR: Veronica Seddon - (Canada)

I have volunteered, taken lessons, and leased from Sonya for a while now. I have to say, she is one of the kindest people I have ever met. She really cares about her customers and animals and I have NEVER seen her "abuse" a student. I always look forward to my lessons with her, and every time I come away even more impressed by Sonya's knowledge and patience. In my opinion, having to clean up after yourself is a life skill, not a hardship. Most kids don't even mind sweeping up after having a great ride on a beautiful horse. Sonya really makes Horse Sense a second home and I am glad I have the privilege of learning from her. So please don't post nasty things about people you barely know.

Just because you say it doen't make it true

AUTHOR: HL - (Canada)

I must first take a moment to thank the suspected author of this report: a "wannabe" competitor known for his atrocious spelling and hilarious grammatical composition.  Several of us have already benefited greatly from the belly-laughing we shared in reading this, and our abdominal muscles thank you!  And for those of you who wish to build extra muscles from laughing, please take the time to read a second report on this site, clearly written by the same person, as evidenced by the exact same poor writing skills. On the less humorous side, it is really sad to read of the terribly slandering lies and completely unfounded stories told in the so-called report.  It is unfortunate that the Internet, and especially a site like this, allows for anyone to say anything without providing any evidence.  Yes, companies that cheat customers or do harm should be reported, and such establishments usually go out of business in a matter of a few years.  Wise consumers usually figure out pretty quickly when an establishment is a great service provider, or if it is one to be avoided. The fact that Sonya has been in business many years, and has a large and loyal following, should speak volumes.  We are delighted to show any evidence to the contrary of the false accusations above, and are happy to have local veterinarians speak on our behalf with regards to the quality care we offer our animals.  It doesn't take long for very long for even a novice to see the excellent care our animals receive, and the love we have for them.

Additionally, we pride ourselves on the fact that hundreds of children and adults have successfully learned to ride and work with horses at our facility.  Our main trainer is like the teacher you may have hated in school at the beginning of the year, and then learned to love in a matter of weeks.  Why?  She's tough, but she's also fair, and has a lot of grace.  She knows what it takes to get you past your fears, and also knows how essential it is for you to learn how to wisely handle an animal that weighs a thousand pounds more than you! It's not a surprise that many children with special needs come here, learn to work with horses, and find strength and dignity they never had before. So please feel free to research us.  Visit us at our facility.  Watch us work with horses and animals, and then make your own decision.  Thanks for reading this!

False Information!!! Horse Sense is a Positive Environment

AUTHOR: christel chattargoon - (Canada)

As a person who has loved Horse Sense, as a home away from home, for 3 years, this report appalls and saddens me.

In my 3 years of experience at the barn as a volunteer, riding lesson student, and worker, I have never had any complaints about Horse Sense, in particular Sonya, or the way she coaches. At Horse Sense, riding lessons advocate coming over your fears, and pushing your boundaries. For a lot of kids THIS is scary. If there is one thing Sonya does not do, it is yell and scream at kids. To make herself heard, she may raise her voice. It's a big arena, you need your voice to carry. Many kids return for lessons, and have been in the lesson program for multiple sessions.

Personally, I used to be terrified of riding without a saddle. I would cry before getting on the horse, and for the first while after getting on. Sonya was nothing less than supportive. She doesn't beat around the bush. She will tell you straight, what you are doing right, and what you are doing wrong. This is not bullying.

A fact of life: Kids cry. Parents make kids cry, teachers make kids cry, stress makes kids cry. Children cry when they're frustrated, they cry when they don't get what they want, they cry when they fall down.

What people may not realize, is a horse is a frustrating animal. It has a mind of its own, and it will not always do exactly what you want it to do. Watching kids learn how to assert themselves and go through intense personal growth, through Sonya Steiner's riding lessons, is one of the main reasons I love this barn.

When I first started taking lessons, I was extremely timid. Anyone who has taken lessons at Horse Sense, knows Reno. Reno was the only horse I would ride, as he goes very slow is very easy going. Through Sonya's encouragement and coaching, she taught me to push my comfort zone, and I now ride Maverick, an ex endurance horse (a lesson horse favorited by many students for his willingness to work)

I started at Horse Sense with no experience, at a farm, or in riding. Today I am 100% confident cantering on a horse without a saddle, even without my hands. Riding without a saddle used to be my biggest fear and is now one of my favorite things to do on a horse.

Also, cleaning up after yourself is part of barn life. Kids have to learn responsibility, and accountability. Part of this is cleaning up after your horse. It's not hard work, and if you ever consider buying a horse, these are skills you need to learn!

I highly recommend this barn to anyone with a love for horses, and many other animals too! Sonya has created a positive environment, encouraging personal growth and achievement in all of her students.

Yes this is true

AUTHOR: sam - (Cape Verde)

This lady should not have horses or coach riding lessons. She all most made my daughter never ride again. she yelled at my daughter so much that cryed so hard and could not sleep all night. told my daught no good and dum. and ripped us off of are money.