Complaint Review: HotBookSale.com - SmartSavingsCenter.com

• Submitted: Tue, December 02, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, December 02, 2008

• Reported By:Bethesda Maryland
HotBookSale.com - SmartSavingsCenter.com
HotbookSale.com Boca Raton, Florida U.S.A.

HotBookSale.com - SmartSavingsCenter.com Enrolled me in an expensive monthy membership program, $29.95/month, without my knowledge. Charges started showing up on my credit card. Boca Raton Florida

I order a technical book from HotBookSale in September. I didn't see the fine print (it's well hidden) stating that I was enrolling in a membership program sponsored by SmartSavingsCenter.com, apparently the owner of HotBookSale. I didn't realize this until I saw a charge of $1.00 then a subsequent charge of $29.95. These charges showed up for two months running before we caught it. I called the 800 number for SmartSavingsCenter.com and after nearly a 15-minute wait I was connected to a customer service representative. She promised to cancel my member and I did get an email later confirming that. She also said she would credit me for the two montly charges. I'll have to see if the credits show up in our next statement.

This is, in my opinion, highly unethical behavior by this merchant. The automatic sign-up is well hidden during the ordering process. I don't believe that calling this a "scam" is overstating the behavior. I urge anyone reading this to avoid HotBookSale.com and SmartSavingsCenter.com. They are both rip-offs.

Larry
Bethesda, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2008 09:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HotBookSalecom-SmartSavingsCentercom/Boca-Raton-Florida-33481-0365/HotBookSalecom-SmartSavingsCentercom-Enrolled-me-in-an-expensive-monthy-membership-pro-396917. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HotBookSale.com - SmartSavingsCenter.com