Complaint Review: Hotbooksale.com

• Submitted: Thu, March 10, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, March 10, 2011

• Reported By: Ralph Evans — Warsaw New York United States of America
PO Box 180365 Boca Raton, Florida United States of America

Hotbooksale.com With book purchase I unknowingly signed up for buying service. Boca Raton, Florida

I purchased a book online from this company in Oct 09. When placing order there was a box to check if you wanted to get a discount and reduced shipping. I checked the box without reading the small print.(My Fault). I didn't realize I was signing up for some kind of buying service that authorized them to charge $9.95 to my credit card every month forever. I didn't pay too much attention to the monthly charge because I figured my wife was ordering books which she frequently does. In Jan, 2011 I noticed the charge on our credit card statement and asked her about it. She said it wasn't hers. I called this company and they said it was for the buying service I signed up for whith my book purchase. I explained I wasn't aware that I was paying for a buying service, I didn't know I had it, and I've never used it. They claimed they sent me an e-mail after the purchase explaining the whole thing. I told them I don't believe I ever received such an e-mail. It certainly would have alerted me to what was happening. Reviewing my credit card statements revealed I had been charged 15 times @ $9.95 for a total of $149.25. I made numerous frustrating phone calls and also used a chat line on their website 4 times. They finally refunded 4 months of charges, 4x$9.95 = $39.80 leaving a balance of $109.45. They said if I wanted to go further than that I had to send a written letter to their Boca Raton address. So I sent a letter with all these details. It was a registered letter sent Jan 31, 2011. Thet signed for it Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:07 pm. They responded with a large enevelope with numerous pages explaining what I had supposedly signed up for. They also refused to refund the rest of the charges, $109.45. The letter said that when I checked the box on their online order form I agreed to their terms. I sent a follow up letter 2 weeks ago stating that I never received their e-mail describing the buying service I supposedly signed up for, and that their records would clearly show that I never used this service as I didn't know I had it. They did not respond to the 2nd letter.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/10/2011 01:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hotbooksalecom/Boca-Raton-Florida-33481/Hotbooksalecom-With-book-purchase-I-unknowingly-signed-up-for-buying-service-Boca-Raton-704961. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hotbooksale.com