Complaint Review: Hotwire

• Category: Hotel

Hotwire Hotwire Low Price Guarantee is a scam Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Nothing but positive experiences with Hotwire

*Consumer Comment: Hotwire is great in my opinion

the hotwire low price guarantee scam (they only ripped me off from $3 or so but refused to budge on it)

They have a ridiculous low pre tax rate of say $40 then they add say $16 of 'tax' (what that consists of is anyones guess but it does involve their booking fee as they told me that) bringing it to $56

The actual hotel will have a pre tax rate of say $48 and actual real 'sales tax' of $6 bringing it to $54

So, when anyone says 'You charged me more than the actual hotel' they can say 'No. Our pre tax rate was $8 lower' because they've added a load of non existent made up 'tax' to the actual total price.

It's insane, and they're *still* mailing me stuff today like 'I can assure you, you were not overcharged' which is barking mad

Their TV ads make no distinction between pre tax and after tax prices, they just say you'll save money.

well here's the 'TV ad' version of what I was charged

Hotwire - $56.25

Actual hotel - $54

Not only did they charge $2.25 more than booking through the actual hotel, they then refused to pay the difference because of their absurd 'tax' scam

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2009 10:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hotwire/SPI-Texas-78597/Hotwire-Hotwire-Low-Price-Guarantee-is-a-scam-Nationwide-484220. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hotwire

Nothing but positive experiences with Hotwire

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I have no reason to dispute the original report and, if it is accurate, then I would concur that the OP was ripped off.

However, I have used Hotwire several times, for hotels and flights. I am consitently blown away by the deals I get with them. The first time I used Hotwire I got a room at the Venetian in Las Vegas (a five star hotel), on a Saturday night, for $129. As an added bonus, the hotel had given our room away due to our late arrival, and wound up upgrading us to what they call a "Presidential Suite," which was larger than our house!

I strongly reccommend Hotwire. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them.

Hotwire is great in my opinion

AUTHOR: Debbie - (U.S.A.)

I use hotwire all the time. I've gotten some screaming deals on rooms. Several times I got rooms for around $50 to $60 incl tax and recovery fees that I would have paid over $100 for if I would have went to the hotel directly.

I have never been disappointed with hotwire.