Complaint Review: Household Bank

• Submitted: Sat, December 06, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, December 07, 2008

• Reported By:Easton Illinois
Household Bank
Nationwide Nationwide, Illinois U.S.A.

Household Bank Threatend to put a lein against our bank accounts for an already court settled best buy debt. Nationwide Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Accounts, liens, Possible ID theft

*Consumer Suggestion: I think he was bluffing.

Dec. 5 my husband got calls from Mike at the Bank. we have a Mike in the fraud department at our bank. when he call he identifies himself as Mike from the bank and asks for our account number/gails bday etc. My 80 year old husband thought he was speaking with that Mike.

I interjected into the phone conversation and asked who was speaking and he said Mike and I said with what company and he said The Bank. I said what bank and he said Household bank. He stated we owed $5200 on an old Best Buy account (that was taken care of on a credit card court thing several years ago). When I explained that he said we had to provide them with the legal documentation.

I asked for an address and/or email and/or phone number. He said nevermind he would just place a lein against our bank accounts on Monday, December 8.

I have reported this to my bank. Also we had to drive 60 miles to our bank and withdraw everything except $5 and pay all of our bills with money orders. Now what??

Sylvia
Easton, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/06/2008 02:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Household-Bank/Nationwide-Illinois/Household-Bank-Threatend-to-put-a-lein-against-our-bank-accounts-for-an-already-court-sett-398612. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Household Bank

Accounts, liens, Possible ID theft

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

A bank would not have asked you for your account number since they already have it. If a company were to put a lien on anything it would be your home not a bank account.

If there was a defualted loan you would have been getting letters from Household Finance or an agency that would be doing collections for them.

You should have a fraud alert put on all 3 credit reporting agencies, Trans union,equifax, and experian. This way if someone is trying to obtain credit you should be contacted by the lender before any loan is actually given. When placing a fraud alert statement be sure to include an accurate phone number where you can be reached.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: J G Shrugged - (U.S.A.)

But you need to find your paperwork from the court case and proof of satisfaction, and then pull your credit report to see if they've let themselves be known. Then call a local attorney; they've probably violated the FCRA if they are collecting on a debt that has been adjudicated. They can't get a lien on a bank account without a judgment, and if they got a judgment on a debt that has been adjudicated, they will have some explaining to do in front of the judge.

#3 Consumer Suggestion