Complaint Review: Household Bank

• Submitted: Sat, March 31, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, April 02, 2007

• Reported By:Duncanville Texas
Household Bank
householdbank.com San Diego, California U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Household Bank HSBC - GM RIPOFF UNFAIR PRACTICES THE ONLY ONE NOT WILLING TO DELETE SECONDARY HOLDER FOR ANY REASON San Diego California

*Author of original report: THANK YOU

*Consumer Comment: Is there.....

I divorced my ex husband in 12/2003. We had been separated little over a year before that. We opened this credit card as a GM card. It must have been bought by Household Bank. We did not use this card for a while.

I asked my ex several times to remove my name from our joint accounts where he was the primary holder. I would do the same. All other credit card companies complied, except Household Bank. They sent him a questionaire - request denied. When he asked again - they sent an affidavit for me to fill out - denied again, stating that no matter what is in our divorce decree, I am still fully responsible. I don't understand why if they did not intend to delete me from the account, we had to go thru phone calls and paperwork in the first place. At that time my ex was still paying on time - there was no default.

Meanwhile my ex remarried, had no job, was ill, a child was born and he maxed out the credit card and the account was defaulted sometime in Spring of 2006. The Household Bank never contacted me but on October 2006 I was contacted by Davis Law Associates in San Diego and since that time I have been bombarded by this collecting agency/law firm non stop. I finally wanted to have a piece of mind and get rid of this monster, so I agreed to pay half of the owed amount ( even though I never charged a penny to this card ). The law firm's representative assured me after this I would be released from my obligation, they would get hold of my ex and demand the remaining payment from him. They promissed a letter confirming my payment and stating I would be released from the obligation - that did not happen either. No letter, only more phone calls. Because my ex is unable and/or unwilling to pay, they are harrasing me again asking me to pay the rest. I am tired of this. My credit was untarnished untill now, I always paid my debts on time. I even paid half of this debt $4,474.00 in good faith this would stop. But there is no end to it.

I had to retire from a major airline company because of bad times for the airlines. I went to school to better myself ( I am over 50 ) and start a new career. Now I have a school loan, I am in a free internship because for my new profession I need some experience before somebody hires me. I have no income due to no my fault, lost my savings to pay half of the debt I did not charge. Household Bank never bothered to contact me, send a letter advising me the case was sent to the collecting agency... The collecting law firm never sent me anything in writing either. Can anybody help?

Katie
Duncanville, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2007 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Household-Bank/San-Diego-California-92108/Household-Bank-HSBC-GM-RIPOFF-UNFAIR-PRACTICES-THE-ONLY-ONE-NOT-WILLING-TO-DELETE-SECOND-241690. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Household Bank

AUTHOR: Katie - (U.S.A.)

for the advise. This will help me for the start. I am very happy because this web site ir really working for the consumers. Thank all of you for helping.

Katie

Is there.....

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

Any reference to this account in your divorce decree? If there is, you might have a standing in the court that granted your divorce.

Otherwise.......

I think that you've already put yourself in a position of responsibility by making the first payment for half the balance. Don't have any further contact with this company. Check your divorce papers, and if this account is mentioned, check with the court as to how to file a motion to make your ex pay not only the remainder, but reimburse you for the cost you've already incurred.

There are a lot of others on this board that will probably be stepping forward to tell you where to go from here. I wish you the best, and look forward to updates. Good Luck.