Complaint Review: Household Bank

Household Bank
Nationwide U.S.A.

Household Bank ripoff They Are All Over The Country Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Credit limit increases with household

*Consumer Suggestion: Household card has served its purpose.

*Consumer Suggestion: To ze Christy

*Consumer Comment: No, Most card company DO NOT charge for increase

*Consumer Comment: "I smell a rat!" Could Tam be an Household insider?

*Consumer Suggestion: Why bother with it?

I have a Household Bank Credit card, my credit score is about 700, which I am told is above average, so not perfect, but far far far from bad. I think I was told the nations average is like 678.

Anyway, I was told when I first obtained my card that I would receive credit limit updates as the time went by, well after two years of PERFECT ONTIME PAYMENTS, I decided to contact household bank and ask them what was going on... They said, the ONLY WAY, I COULD OBTAIN a credit increase was to PAY THEM A FEE to do such. He claimed it was for administrative needs.

Now bare in mind... this is a actual credit card... NOT A SECURED or DEBIT or PREPAID type card, but a tradtional credit card and in order to receive a credit increase was to pay a fee!

What A RIP OFF! Shouldn't this be ILLEGAL?

And again, I have good credit, my card only had a 100 balance with a credit line of $500, which I might add, they are charging $59.00 per year... (which is okay, I knew about the fee from the start and established this non secure account, to help my credit rating, which it has, but to then be told I had to PAY for a credit line increase after making payment after payment for over two years.. its nothing more then a scam!!!)

Jon
THousand Oaks, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2004 03:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Household-Bank/nationwide/Household-Bank-ripoff-They-Are-All-Over-The-Country-Nationwide-110594. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Household Bank

Credit limit increases with household

AUTHOR: Margo - (U.S.A.)

I don't know why you are being charged for increases. I have had my card for almost two years and my credit limit has trippled in that time. The first time I called, after six months, they did inform me that they could increase it for a fee but I saw no reason to pay a fee when I was paying on time, almost in full every month. Within a month of that call, I got my first increase and have gotten regular increases since that time.

Hey maybe that's why they went up on my interest rate. They saw they would never get a fee for limit increases out of me.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Household card has served its purpose.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

With a 700 score, many banks will give you a card with no annual fee, a four-figure initial limit, and of course no charge for increases. Apply for a couple of better cards, you should get them. Then just before the annual fee is due, cancel Household. Do this only after you have the other cards, because your score will drop. But it may be worth it to save the $59.00. Household might offer to waive the fee if you keep it, which is good. They also have been reported to increase limits anyway for free a couple of months after the consumer politely says "no" to paying for an increase.

And to Tam, people should increase their credit limits as much as possible, but then NOT use it. Credit scores are based largely on the ratio of the balance to the limit. For best results the limit should be at least EIGHT OR TEN TIMES the highest expected balance. For someone who only uses a card for $500 a month, a $5000 limit is apropriate.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

To ze Christy

Dear Christy,

Well, if Jon wants to increase it, then he'll have to deal with the problem but I'm trying to play it smart to make sure people like Household don't screw me and other people over but if they do, knowing that they are not aware that I'm an extremist when it comes to explosives, I will make such extreme moves on them, illegaly. I'm monitoring Household bank as of now to see if they're going to make and stupid moves on me, and if they do, then I'll have to use such brutality to make them stop. Since those idiots exposed themselves to the public. Sometimes you have to be brutal just to get your point across. Anyways, once again, people should not use their credit cards to cash out...because like most people had told me...thats where they'll nail u the most.

No, Most card company DO NOT charge for increase

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I have never heard of Bank charging for a credit card credit line increase. In fact I have had a few cards for years and about once a year I get a notice in the mail that one of my cards has a credit line increase.

Yes is is good to get a credit line increase. Not
to go on a spending spree on, But for a couple of reasons.

1. emergency use. $500.00 Really is not enough of a credit line in case of a major emergency.

2. More importantly, when one applies for a major
loan (mortgauge etc.)The bank will look at your whole credit history, not just your score. This includes the amount of credit that has been extended to you and how well you use that credit line. I can tell you right now that a $500.00 credit limit means next to nothing to a bank that your asking to extend a $200,000 mortgauge.

If you have more than one card, I would call this credit card company up and tell them if they do not remove the charge for the credit line increase you will cancel the card. Make sure it has a zero balance on it when you do this. If they refuse, cancel the card. There are much better banks(Credit card companies) out there who would issue you a much higher limit with the credit score you claim to have.

"I smell a rat!" Could Tam be an Household insider?

AUTHOR: Christy - (U.S.A.)

Tam, I could not help but to comment on your post to Jon here. I have also read a couple of your responses to other posts preceding this one. My opion is that you talk like an Household employee. I could be wrong as I and most people can be from time to time, but it sure looks like comments only a Household employee would make.

Also I should point out that Jon just wanted to increase his credit limit and had always made each payment on time. You commented that Jon should stick to the credit limit he had been given to avoid anymore problems. I quote:

Sorry to say, but I don't understand why people want to increase their credit limit. I mean if you got what they give you, you should stick to it to avoid anymore problems. I don't think it matters what credit card company it is but every credit card company would charge you if you increase their credit line. If they give you an increase out of the blue then cool, if not then oh well. I used to have a military star card with 500 to start with and over the years, they give me an extra 2000...which is stupid because I have no more use for it anymore. Again Jon, just stick to what they give you.

I also point out this site is designed for those wishing to report what they consider to be a ripoff. They do not post here so that folks such as yourself can chastise them (see your last comment) or talk to them as if they were children. His post was not asking for your opinion on how he really didn't need a credit increase. From what I read of his post he seemed to be responsible enough to handle an increase and the extra payment that he would incur had he decided that was what he wanted.

Last, with all due respect Tam, please take the time to read more of these reports made against Household. After reading more of the 400+ posts see if you still have the same "opinions" or "free advice" you would like to share.

#6 Consumer Suggestion