Complaint Review: Houston Chronicle Job Fair

• Submitted: Tue, May 20, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, May 18, 2007

• Reported By:Spring Texas
Houston Chronicle Job Fair
801 Texas Ave. Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Houston Chronicle Job Fair ripoff waste of time, what jobs? not free admission still have to pay parking ripoff waste of time Houston Texas

*Consumer Comment: The Chronicle Is a Joke and So is the Reliant Company

Its a sad day when the unemployed have to pay to park just to get the chance to meet with potential employers. While I dont know who my $7.00 benefited it certainly wasnt me, especially when I didnt have much to spare in the first place.

Diversity Job Fair, it sounds great on paper, but once the spacious Reliant Center building has been entered you realize the faade. I was still optimistic at this point until I asked and was pointed towards a room that was probably violating the buildings fire hazard safety code.

All exhibitors were located in one room, which may have been fine except for the masses of applicants. I stand at 52 and nearly suffocated between the bodies of people while trying to navigate around various groups. I was still optimistic while I waited in line for 15 minutes to meet a company representative. I had arrived, I shook his hand and was ready to bedazzle my would be employer until he said We are not accepting any resumes, please go to our website and apply online.

A little downtrodden I nudged bodies until I was in front of another representative, we are hiring sales people only. Having to breath deeper since air seemed to be scarce where I was, I persevered towards the next exhibitor We have one position currently open, are you a Sr. (large technical word) Engineer?

Im a recent IT graduate and like many others who clutched their bachelors in one hand and their resumes in the other while knowing the job search would not be easy still considered the Houston Chronicle their friend and supporter through this abysmal time. I gathered up my strength and pushed through the mass of bodies to exit once again into the spacious main hall of Reliant, I wiped my sweaty, beet red face, took a deep breath of cool fresh air and desolately made my way back to my car prepping myself for the long hour drive back home. Thank you Houston Chronicle Job Fair for the free admission, which cost me $7.00 for parking. I wasted my time, my gas, and my money.

Anna
Spring, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/20/2003 05:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Houston-Chronicle-Job-Fair/Houston-Texas-77002/Houston-Chronicle-Job-Fair-ripoff-waste-of-time-what-jobs-not-free-admission-still-have-57723. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Houston Chronicle Job Fair

The Chronicle Is a Joke and So is the Reliant Company

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

I attended that same job fair in June 2006 following my lay off and it was exactly what you described, a big joke!!!
Reliant Arena is a scam also because they agree to supply the Chronicle with free space and then they (Reliant) charges to park so they still end up profiting from it.
I have never been back to any of the Chronicle's so called job fairs and I am happy to say that with the help of an attentive staffing firm (Not a big name one) in far Northwest Houston area, I am happily employed with a major company, and will be going on permanent soon with excellent salary and benefits.
I would advise all job applicants to stay away from these fairs. If more people would not go, then the Chronicle (assuming they actually want to help people) will find a more suitable venue, such as a large empty store front in a mall with plenty of free parking and a cheap place to grab a bite to eat after a long time stading around to hopefully get an interview.