Complaint Review: Hughes Net Direcway

• Updated: Fri, March 09, 2007

• Reported By:Boothbay Maine
Hughes Net Direcway
http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/ Nationwide U.S.A.

Hughes Net Direcway Contact FCC, FTC, BBB, State Attorney General ripoff Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Direcway is a scam operation and should be shut down!

*Consumer Comment: Promises?

*Author of original report: Response to rebuttal from Heather

*Consumer Comment: You want to keep the service but you don't want to pay?

*Author of original report: FTC Records and Files Complaint

Here is the text of an e-mail I sent to Hughes Net today:

I have run out of patience trying to resolve the unacceptable service (throughput speeds) with your company and tech support. They did in fact resolve my problem about 3 weeks ago but whatever change you made to the network (on your end) lasted only about a week or 2.

I am back to the same issues that I have documented with your company over the last 3-4 months (since I upgraded to the HN7000S). I spoke with your advanced tech support people yesterday (2/9/07) and they deny that they did anything a couple of weeks ago when my service suddenly (the day after I called and strongly complained) began giving me speed tests that actually met (for the first time) your advertised speed levels. It was strange that on the day my service began to run as advertised I received a call from your tech support asking me how the service was running.

I want to make it clear that I do not want to be charged for your service until you correct the problem permanently. I am completely dissatisfied with the service and your support.

I do not want to be disconnected from your service as Internet service is critical to my day to day functions. As bad as your service is, I still need it because there are no other options available in my area at this time (not to mention the money I invested in hardware and installation for your service).

I have filed complaints with Maine's State Attorney Generals office, the FCC, FTC and BBB. I'm sorry it has come down to this but your company is in a state of denial and you give me no choice.

Paul
Boothbay, Maine

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2007 07:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughes-Net-Direcway/nationwide/Hughes-Net-Direcway-Contact-FCC-FTC-BBB-State-Attorney-General-ripoff-Nationwide-235413. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes Net Direcway

Direcway is a scam operation and should be shut down!

AUTHOR: Jack - (U.S.A.)

when I first got direcway it was blazing fast then after a year service started to decay. It would have periods of quick service then no service. I spent many days talking to India with people whos grasp of english was deplorable. toward last I only got ten minutes of service in the morning and ten minutes in the evening. I feel they sold too many contracts for the satellite!! I finally hot carded and ripped the direcway abortion off the side of my house. My credit took a hit but its better than paying 205$ a month for a service thats nonfunctioning. If I had car that wouldnt run I definately would not continue to pay for it! We need a massive lawsuit against these jerks that prey on people that live in the rural areas!

Jack, Morrison IL

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Here's your first comment "There is no promise that a modem upgrade will indeed make the system work faster"
Your wrong go to this HighesNet link - go.gethughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/layoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity[OID[6F5CC7C7E01E194A977B92BD292FB803]]

Here's your second comment "however they do not promise any speeds in their contract"
You might technically be right about the contract but go to this HughesNet link to see what they say about speeds go.gethughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?pageid=03faqcon&Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity[OID[E1CA2C2E0D3C264ABAA6B094030E66D0]]

Here's your next comment "I suggest you seek more technical assistance instead of complaining"
Can I do both? And is 4+ months of dealing with HughesNet tech support (at all levels) not enough time? Any competent company would have solved the problem in days not months.

Here's another one of your comments I don't agree with "complaining is fine but it does not get the job done".
Complaining to the right agences by enough people will in fact get the job done. It will force unresponsive companies to respond to customer needs instead of reading (over the phone) to their customers a disclaimer about how they don't have to supply any speed.

Promises?

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

There is no promise that a modem upgrade will indeed make the system work faster. It is right there in black and white on the upgrade page. I do understand that you are not getting "advertised" speeds, however they do not promise any speeds in their contract.

I suggest you seek more technical assistance instead of complaining, complaining is fine but it does not get the job done, have you been up to the "tier 3 tech" i read other customers doing, has anyone come to your house to look at everything? Do you have norton? Remove it and switch to something else, it delays packet's being sent/received in most ALL internet services. Have you scanned for bandwidth-killing spyware/virus's? Have you tried another computer to see if it's something on your end? Theres 24/7 technical support, remember?

If it comes down to it, ask to be put on a different sat or something im sure they can do that at least to give it a try..

Heather,
First of all I am not asking for something for nothing. I am asking for something for something. This problem started over 4 months ago. I upgraded to the HN7000S system on their promise that it would provide better performance. I got just the opposite.
I have waisted so many hours of time dealing with this incompetent company that I have resorted to filing complaints with any agency/company I can find to try to get this resolved. I have continued to be charged for a service I am not getting and they continue in their state of denial. So what's wrong with asking that I not be charged until the problem is fixed? The State Attorney Generals office agrees with my request not to be charged until the problem is fixed.

Is 4+ months not enough time to solve the problem? How many services do you pay for that you DON'T receive? Where's the logic behind paying for a service that does not meet their own advertised throughput?

If they would agree to refund my $1,200+ for equipment and installation and refund my monthly charges for the past 4 months I would gladly dump them in a heart beat. But that's not how they work, they want it all plus early cancellation fee.

This company is simply the worst of the worst and can not be trusted to refund money sometime in the future for services not provided.

Heather,

You want to keep the service but you don't want to pay?

AUTHOR: Heather - (U.S.A.)

Paul-

I understand you are dissatisfied with this service, and rightfully so. However, in your first post you write something to the effect of "I am completely dissatisfied witht his service and I want to make it clear that I don't want to pay..." But in the next paragraph you write that you want to continue the service anyway since you don't have another choice. Sounds like you're asking for something for nothing. They should definitely fix your problem, but I can't see them providing service without payment. Maybe once the problem is fixed they can give you a credit?

FTC Records and Files Complaint

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

As I have stated in my original post I filed complaints with many consumer agencies including the FTC. If enough people complain to these organisations some action may eventually taken against this bad company.
Here is the reply I received today from the FTC:

Dear Paul

Thank you for recent correspondence. The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to stop business practices that violate the laws it enforces. Letters from consumers and businesses are very important to the work of the Commission. They are often the first indication of a problem in the marketplace and may provide the initial evidence to begin an investigation. The Commission does not resolve individual complaints. The Commission can, however, act when it sees a pattern of possible violations developing.

The information you have provided will be recorded in our complaint retention system. This computerized system enables us to identify questionable business practices that are generating numerous complaints and may be in violation of the law.

Thank you for providing information that may be used to develop or support Commission enforcement initiatives.

Sincerelyyours,
Consumer Response Center

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Call me paranoid but after the last consumer rage call I had with HughesNet Tech support and billing departments I think they have tweaked my account so it runs even slower. After I made the call I noticed that pages were taking minutes to load or they would time out. Now I can't do my banking or shopping because there are minutes that elapse before any data flows and it lets a little data go and then stops.

I wouldn't put it past these people to sabotage my account for revenge. I could be just paranoid but I don't think so. Also I received a reply to my complaint I sent them (see my post) Here is their reply, it speaks for its self (another run a round tactic): Welcome to DIRECWAY E-Support, it is our pleasure to assist you.

Hello Paul, Thank you for contacting HughesNet E-Support. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear of the issue you have experienced and I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience. I understand that you wish to file a complaint. I have included the contact information that is available for the Customer Service Department.

Letter: Hughes Network Systems 11717 Exploration Lane Germantown, MD 20876 Attention: Customer Service Mail Stop D3B If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us via email or by calling 1-866-347-3292. Thanks for using HughesNet E-Support.