Complaint Review: Hughes Net

• Submitted: Mon, May 25, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, May 25, 2009

• Reported By:Cleveland Tennessee
Hughes Net
111717 Exploration Lane Germantown, Maryland U.S.A.

Hughes Net Sattelite Internet Service Hughes Net is a complete rip-off. Stay with dial up. EXTREMELY POOR SERVICE. Misleading advertising. Germantown Maryland

This report is filed to caution anyone that is considering using HughesNet Internet service.....do not do it!!!! The service is so slow that I often confused it with dial up. They have a little thing called 'Fair Access Policy", that essentially shuts off the system any time you download anything. This was not revealed when I signed up for their 2 year binding contract. Long story short, if you download even updates for your computer, your service is terminated for 24 yours. Mine was out more than it was working, and we dont download hardly anything......just updates for Windows, virus checkers, etc. There were documented times, when I had the service unplugged from the wall (I bought a Sprint aircard to use instead of Hughesnet) and when I called Hughesnet, I was still told that I had exceeded the fair access policy. Go figure that one!!

So.....I bought the Sprint Aircard for $55/month as opposed to Hughesnet for $79/month. It is so much faster and more reliable. I tried to cancel Hughesnet because, as I mentioned earlier, I had unplugged to due to such poor service. They do not pro-rate the early termination fee as the cell phone companies are required to do by the FCC. Even though I have only 3 months left on my two year contract with Hughes net, I have to pay the full $300 early termination fee, or just keep paying for their service even though I am not using it.

This company sucks so bad!! I wish there was something that I could do to get my money back.

Steve
Cleveland, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/25/2009 09:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughes-Net/Germantown-Maryland-20876/Hughes-Net-Sattelite-Internet-Service-Hughes-Net-is-a-complete-rip-off-Stay-with-dial-up-455065. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes Net