Complaint Review: Hughes Satellite

• Updated: Sat, January 05, 2013

• Reported By: Sisyphus — Lakeport California United States of America
Hughes Satellite

Hughes Satellite They are all lies. Internet

Right from the beginning there were problems. Number one, not informing us that there was a cap on "downloads" that meant anytime we go online is classified as "downloads." Okay, so after bantering back and forth and their "Fair Access Policy," I changed my hours to "download" after 11pm and end before 4am. Aggravating, but okay, I'll deal with it.

Next came the speeds in which they claimed we were going to get. Yea right! And boy do they get you coming and going on this one.

Hughes uses their upload trunk (probably not the exact right word) to calculate what the up and download speeds are, in reference to how fast "their" home page loads on the speed check page, attached to the "myhughesnet" page. We were told we would get "up to" 1.5MB download. Please. I have [never] gotten that speed during normal hours. Nor can i download at those speeds from a download source, ie iTunes, or watching a movie online (obviously between 11 and 4).

I would go to three online speed test sources and all three would come back with kb down and upload speeds. Yet when checked with Hughes, they claimed I was getting 1.5MB. Now, they told me that outside sources were not an accurate speed test and that they only used their speed tests as accurate. Okay, I say, then why during peak hours, 8am-9pm, can I check online speed tests and they show my up/download speeds at kbps and Hughes shows Mbps, yet when I check online speed tests after midnight and Hughes speed tests after midnight all 4 register the same speeds up and down? Their answer, well high traffic online gives false reading on how fast the speeds actually are. Okay, let's just say for a sec that I buy that, which I do not, then explain to me why when I download from an ftp, which allows 1GB upload, it takes me over 24 hours to download a 2GB file? That means to download a 2 gig file, from 11-4 , it will take me nearly 5 [days!] to complete the download.

Their answer to this last scenario, my computer was not configured correctly, my router was the problem, my computer was outdated (I had just purchased a new iMac) the computer interfaces were incompatible, and then they had the nerve to tell me I had to purchase special software for the Mac to "work" properly.

They have an answer for everything. But the bottom line is, they lie through their teeth. For those of us who live in the country and have no other access to the internet but satellite, we are seriously screwed. There are now other satellite providers and I can guarantee you, I will be canceling Hughes. Unfortunately, I believe that all the other satellite companies are going to be about the same when it comes to "fair access" and up/download speeds.

These companies need to held accountable for being truthful and not be allowed to have work around to make things in their favor. Like the speed tests, and their "up to" with no guarantee on an "at least" minimum speeds. There also needs to be an outside source for speed testing that they are held to. Hughes has no one to hold them accountable, which leave all of us satellite users without any recourse.

If you have any other option besides satellite, especially Hughes, I would strongly suggest using it.

I also question what the gov said about having affordable internet available and accessible to [all] people. I do not consider 100 dollars a month for supposed MB download speeds affordable considering cable and fiber offer GB downloads for less than 40 dollars a month, or even DSL 50mbps for less than 20 a month. Where is the justice in this I ask?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2013 01:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughes-Satellite/internet/Hughes-Satellite-They-are-all-lies-Internet-991628. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes Satellite