Complaint Review: Hughes net

• Updated: Mon, July 29, 2013

• Reported By: Steamed customer — Piggott Arkansas
Hughes net
Internet USA

Hughes net Horrible service, over priced, and hard to get rid of! Internet

*Author of original report: Still not disconnected---trying to take money out of bank account

This Internet company has been a rip off from the beginning 22 months ago.  Started with the company not telling us we needed a modem during installation.  Had to run to the store in the middle of the installation.  Left installer sitting in the work van at his own insistence.  We went to store only to return and find that he answered my wife's cell phone in our bedroom while gone.  Did not want toI upset my wife, so I did not tell her for long time.  Nothing was taken, but he did tell me he went into the bedroom to answer the phone because thought I may have been calling.

Next, he installed the satellite next to a power line after telling him not to place it there.  The work man's ship was awful to boot.  Had to restart the thing frequently.  This stuff went on for 2 or months.  Called them back, told them Internet was not working correctly and that by now, we could not get the Internet turned on.  A part of theirs went out at this point.  They tried to charge us a service fee to come and repair the piece.  After haggling with them over this issue and it being new service, we finally got them to come out at no charge.  I am paying 86.00/month for this servicE mind you.  Most probably wonder why we didn't get a new provider?  Not even dial up is available and cell service we had was less than adequate.  We continued on just because they were the only option.  We have been shopping for other options since installation.  We just dealt with the crappy service because of this.  Now, we found the personal hotspots on cell phones work at faster better speeds than the Hughes Net.  We called to disconnect the service.  It was at this point,that we found out we had signed a 2 year service agreement and that we are 2 months short of the end of this "contract." this was the piece of paper we signed when the guy got done installing it the first time.  We were told it was for the installation agreement and nothing more.  No mention ever during the calls for installment that it was a 2 year contract.

We called once to get it discontinued.  It wasn't discontinued.  We called again today.  They are going to discontinue now, but we have to climb up on the house and obtain some small piece of equipment and send back some other stuff or be charged $300.  This is suppose to be done by me or my wife.  I am taking chemo and she just had surgery, not to mention the electrical risk due to poor installation in the first place.  Oh yea, they will send someone to get their equipment, but it won't be cheap.  This companies' practices are not consumer friendly.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2013 11:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughes-net/internet/Hughes-net-Horrible-service-over-priced-and-hard-to-get-rid-of-Internet-1070980. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes net

Still not disconnected---trying to take money out of bank account

AUTHOR: Ruth Ann - ()

This is a follow up report to the July 29th report.  Once agin, Hughes Internet has failed to disconnect the service and attempted to automatically withdraw money from our checking account without our consent.  After speaking to the "supervisor" in the last report, the service was disconnected as we were not able to access it any longer.  We even received a bill in the mail shortly thereafter in which we thought was the "final bill that was being generated" during the last phone conversation on the 29th.  We were told that we would received the return shipping labels to send the leased equipment back to them.  It never came in the mail.  Not our problem.  My husband (who is the account holder) and I refused to continue calling this company to make them do their jobs.

Well, today we received an emai in which they tried to remove approximately $87.00 from our checking account, and the bank rejected it.  We awoke this morning to an email in which they informed us our service had been interrupted and shut off.  Furthermore, we needed to contact them and pay the past due amount immediately to have service restored.  This prompted yet the 3rd and final phone call to this company at the number listed in the email.  We spoke to a Mr. Jaywright and explained once again, very heatedly, that we were tired of dealing with their company.  We further informed empathically that this should not even be a problem because we had suspended services with their company on July 29th.  He never could explain to my husband why we were still being billed.  My husband then gave me the phone in which I very rudely explained in no certain terms that this was the final phone call we would be making that they were not going to spend all day on the phone over this matter that we had already called twice before in which there was no record of the first phone call.  I explained to Mr. Jaywright that the next communication from our family to their company would be via lawyer if they did not get the problem resolved.  After haggling with Mr. Jaywright, it was established that the internet service had in fact been restored or remained in service even after last phone call.  He further explained that when we called on July 29th that the bill had already generated for the month of August and that service would not be stopped until the end of the bill date of August 26th.  I explained to this representative that I after dealing with many other companies over the years, that I knew full well that the bill was to be prorated and that in fact, this was exactly what the last supervisor had indicated to my husband was what was being done with the bill that was being generated.  He stated that he could not change it because the bill had been generated.  I then asked to speak with the representative that I spoke with on July 29th.  He stated that he could not do that.  I had by this point explained that I was giving the man 5 minutes more of my time to complete this transaction of fixing this problem with our disconnect date.  I placed my cell phone stopwatch at go and proceeded after telling him this. Mr. Jaywright was supposedly attempting to connect me to the Accounts Department when time ran out.  I proceeded to tell him that time was up and recapped exactly what was expected of their company regarding our service and bill.  Furthermore, told him we would have an attorney to contact them on our behalf and hung up.  I am tired of spending wasted time dealing with this company.  Their customer service is less than adequate, bill are overpriced, and not to mention the problem with invasion of privacy with the installation.  I recommend that to prevent headaches, you do not utilize their services.