Complaint Review: HughesNet Satellite Internet Service

• Submitted: Fri, February 25, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, February 25, 2011

• Reported By: satellitedslvictim — sand springs Oklahoma United States of America
HughesNet Satellite Internet Service

HughesNet Satellite Internet Service Blazingly Fast Download Speeds? Internet

I have been with HughesNet since 01/19/09 and regret it! First not being told of the "FAP" aka Fair Access Policy. Our entry level residential plan $76.72 came with a whopping 225mb/24 hr download limit. Before Hughes we tried WildBlue which was even worse so we decided to live with the limited service. All was well Hughes being almost always up with a consistent download speed of 1.0 megabytepersecond even getting a bad HN9000 modem replaced in just two days til approx. 2 months ago...now during the hrs of 5-10pm we are lucky to run barely above dialup speeds.(indictative of an overloaded network) After running several speed tests including one endorsed by my State Attorney General's office ALL indicating a blazing download speed of approx. 110kps from 5-10pm I decided to call Hughes' tech support during this time frame. Their tech required I perform Hughes' speed test, so I had to download Sun Java software first. The tech told me it would take only approx. 3 minutes, but took over 10 minutes to load. Things got really interesting...after running a few of Hughes' speed tests all indicating I was running @ 512 kbps aka 1/2 a megabytepersecond I informed Hughes' tech this was conflictive with how long it took the Sun Java software to load & all the independent speed tests I had performed throughout the last two months during this time frame. He replied, "Well you are downloading webpages in under 12 seconds..." I can download most webpages on dialup in under 12 seconds! I let their "tech" know I ran a pc service out of my home & he laughed ( I really do) & my respeonse was, "I think I will stop right here...hate to say it but I am going to start looking for another ISP!!" I discovered wireless cable broadband is now available in my area & had them come out to do a signal test...we can get it!! It is approx. $16.00 cheaper/month & no download limit along with a consistent speed too. After experiencing both WildBlue & HughesNet I wish I had just added a second LAN line & used dialup. We are paid up with Hughes til mid 3/2011 & already set an install date for the wireless cable broadband. I encourage all satellite Internet  users to check out your local cable company for another option....also research  the mobile broadband options like AT&T, Sprint/Virgin Mobile, etc. Goodbye HughesNet!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2011 01:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HughesNet-Satellite-Internet-Service/internet/HughesNet-Satellite-Internet-Service-Blazingly-Fast-Download-Speeds-Internet-699928. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HughesNet Satellite Internet Service