Complaint Review: HughesNet

• Updated: Tue, June 04, 2013

• Reported By: J Hall — Eloy Arizona
HughesNet
Internet USA

HughesNet Promised me exceptional internet access that I never got. Wants to charge $400 to cancel account and go to a comany that will follow through with by providing what they say.  Internet

*Consumer Comment: Contract

I signed up for HughesNet on the promise from the company that I would be getting exceptional internet service. I informed them that my son is doing on-line schooling and that I run a business, therefore reliable internet service was a MUST. One week after signup, I called letting them know that my internet was extremely slow and that I wanted someone to look into it. Nothing was done. I called again, this time to cancel, instead of letting me cancel, they had me try different trouble shooting to no avail. They then gave me the number to what they said was the HughesNet Repair Team for help. Turns out this was just a 3rd party company who wanted $150 to"fix" my slow internet. I called HughesNet again to cancel only to be told that I was 6 days past my 30 day trial period and it was going to cost me $400.00 to cancel my service. Had I not have followed their instructions and tried the troubleshooting and repair team, I would not have gone over the 30 days and it would not have cost me anything to cancel. I am now stuck paying twice what I was paying, for internet service that is useless. My son, who is doing online schooling, failed his math class due to loosing connectivety during his finals. When I told the Floor Supervisor that I felt it was unethitical to charge someone for a product they were not getting especially when the customer has done EVERYTHING that they told them to do to fix the problem, he just laughed. It is no laughing matter. I am stuck with useless internet. How can they keep me locked in on a product that they have not delivered????

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2013 12:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HughesNet/internet/HughesNet-Promised-me-exceptional-internet-access-that-I-never-got-Wants-to-charge-400-1056325. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HughesNet

Contract

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

Sorry you are having an issue with Hughes. Normally they provide excellent services for rural areas. A lot of times the fix for your problem is to ensure that they line of sight is clear for the dish. Make sure there is nothing interupting the signal. Trees are the biggest problem.

In this case, it might not be the actual service. It could be a router or modem issue. The equiptment can and does cause a slowdown. Your equiptment may not be able to support the service to its fullest extent. Even if the equiptment came from Hughes, it could be defective. You can try changing out either the modem or router and see if this solves your issue.

It is unfortunate that you are in this situation but you are in a contract. The ETF or early termination fee is VERY steep. As you had to go through Hughes Im guessing that you do not have a lot of internet options available to you. Your best bet is to try and work within Hughes system. If after doing everything in your power to resolve the issue and youre still not able to get reliable service, you can file a complaint to the FCC.

Hughes only has a coverage map that displays where their satillites cover, that is the information they have to work with. They cannot know EVERY single address and what the coverage is like in a specific way. try and have a bit of patience while working with them. Hope this information helps and good luck!!