Complaint Review: Hughes.net

• Submitted: Thu, February 28, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, February 28, 2008

• Reported By:Albuquerque New Mexico
Hughes.net
11717 Exploration Lane Germantown, Maryland U.S.A.

Hughes.net Hughes.net double billed me for service for 11 months; only refunded half the overcharge Germantown Maryland

My Hughes.net dish, which I had fully paid for, went bad, and when I tried to replace it, I was told it was obsolete, and I needed a new dish and receiver. OK. I had the new dish and receiver installed, and agree to have the price of the equipment charged to my credit card with payments spread over 15 months. I never recieved any kind of itemized bill from Hughes.

Periodically I would wonder why the monthly payment seemed so high, especially in relation to the service -- which seemed SO SLOW! The Hughes.net website was virtually impossible to navigate, and I could not figure out why I could not log on to see my account. I sent e-mails to the billing department e-mail address listed -- and got an automated response telling me that the mailbox was "not monitored" and nothing else!

I finally created a new user name and password for myself, and then made a startling discovery -- rather than replacing my old service with the new service to the new dish and receiver, Hughes.net had simply continued to bill me for service to the old dish and receiver -- and added the new dish and receiver to my bill, along with a duplicate "service", as though it was a separate, additional site. The overcharge was $59.99 + tax per month for 11 months -- nearly $700!!

Hughes' internal records at their billing department had the wrong site address and wrong billing address for my dish and account. They never bothered to update their records after they moved the old dish to my new house, 4 years before it went bad --which may explain why they thought there were two sites.

When I finally brought this to their attention by telephone, they tried to offer me two months of free service as a resolution. Beyond that, they advised that I had to make a formal demand by letter. I sent the letter, they did not respond.

After 4 more calls, each amounting to the customer service rep saying he didn't have authority to issue such a "big" refund, and simultaneously trying to persuade me it was my fault for not discovering this earlier, I finally got Hughes.net's top offer: they agreed to refund 1/2 the overcharge. It took yet another call to get them to actually process the credit. In goi

Needless to say, I cancelled my service and would not recommend these people to anybody. The most helpful thing they could do is go out of business; it seems like they are halfway there already.

Whitney
Albuquerque, New Mexico

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2008 05:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughesnet/Germantown-Maryland-20876/Hughesnet-Hughesnet-double-billed-me-for-service-for-11-months-only-refunded-half-the-o-313101. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughes.net