Complaint Review: Hughesnet

• Submitted: Thu, February 21, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, February 21, 2013

• Reported By: Teresa — Warsaw Missouri United States of America
Hughesnet
16060 Industrial Drive Gathesberg Maryland United Internet United States of America

Hughesnet Lied about their less than dial-up speed, omitted informing of excessive limits on bandwidth, Internet

We signed up for HughesNet because it was the only Internet Service Provider in our area at the time, but I wasn't worried because they claimed to have "high speed" service. From the time of install, there were problems. I had to have them come back several times to relocate the satellite because we could not get any service. To make matters worse, every time I called they would insist on making me reset the modem (even though I informed them that I had already tried that to no success before calling). The techs would treat me as though I was completely inept at following their redundant attempts to fix it. We finally were able to get service adequate enough to surf the net, but never could Xbox live gaming or Netflix to work. We called again. Then, we find out that it is not their fault, it is because there is a 6-7 second delay in information exchange between the satellite and the modem that is inherent to any satellite provider. Of course, you don't see this information in the commercials and advertisements, do you? In addition, there is a 250 mg bandwidth limit per day. Seriously! Unless you want to spend more and more money buying bandwidth or upgrading to their "even faster" Gen4 system. Based on the lies and omissions I've already gotten, why would I choose to start another contract that costs even more money? Besides, if the current one is slower that dial-up, the new one would probably only be as fast as dial-up, for twice the money.

Needless to say, we haven't been able to enjoy our Xbox system or do any delay-free movie streaming since we obtained their services. If I could afford the early termination fee, they would already be gone! Their advertising is false and should be illegal. If you have any other option, including dial-up, I would recommend that you avoid this company like the plague! Does anybody have any recommendations for Exede because my contract is almost up?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2013 05:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hughesnet/internet/Hughesnet-Lied-about-their-less-than-dial-up-speed-omitted-informing-of-excessive-limits-1018255. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hughesnet