isolated

• Submitted: Fri, February 01, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, December 04, 2008

• Reported By:Indianapolis Indiana
Humana Prescription Drug Plan
101 East Main Street Louisville, Kentucky U.S.A.

Humana Prescription Drug Plan refuses timely cancellation request, total ripoff Louisville Kentucky

*UPDATE Employee: You did not read your benefits

*Consumer Suggestion: Just a response.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I can try to help.

I subscribe to the Humana's medicare prescription drug plan since January 2006. My annual total prescription cost is around $ 100 and after paying the monthly premiums for the last couple of years, I decided to cancel my subscription. I called Humana on December 22nd, 2007 to cancel the membership and confirmed disenrollment request by letter on December 26th, 2007. I mailed the letter on 26th December at the Indianapolis, Castleton Post of Office to the Humana address in Louisville, KY. On January 16th 2008, I was surprised to receive a note from Humana telling me that my letter was not received in the allowed window and therefore I cannot cancel. I called Humana and tired to find out when the letter was received. They say my request was processed 14th January, but could not give me the date when it was received. I cannot conceive that Indianapolis to Louisville could have taken more then 3 days of transit time which would have been well within the window. I believe Humana is deliberately post dating the receipt of the letter in order not to honor my disenrollment request. I have filed a complaint with Medicare and also have written to the Humana Grievance Department. I do not want to continue to pay the premium for which I am not getting any benefit. Can anyone help?

Dave
Indianapolis, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/01/2008 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Humana-Prescription-Drug-Plan/Louisville-Kentucky-40270/Humana-Prescription-Drug-Plan-refuses-timely-cancellation-request-total-ripoff-Louisville-305264. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Humana Prescription Drug Plan

You did not read your benefits

AUTHOR: Dontemptf8 - (U.S.A.)

Ample time is not the same as mailing a personal letter to someone from Indy to Louisville when you are mailing correspondence to a large company.
Mail is received in Louisville and not processed within 5 minutes of the mail man dropping it off in huge bins.
Mail can take up to 14 business days to be received and processed. Check in your benefits booklet. Although I do think 14 days is too long, this is common practice with most companies the size of Humana.

The mail has to be received, opened, sorted, matched to your name and account and scanned and distributed to the correct departments via computer scan, not like it was in the old days where your letter was delivered to someones desk and handled. Do you realize how many pieces of mail come in to Humana daily? And how many of those pieces have no information to assist in finding the correct member to match the plan with? no clear address, no clear name or account number? Or if the address is clear it does not match what is in our system because the member has never notified us?

You called on the 22nd and were told it must be in writing then took 4 additional days to mail a letter.

And again, this is a MEDICARE plan. There are rules and regulations mandated by MEDICARE not Humana. SO you dropped your plan late Dec and obviously did not sign up with another carrier as it would have been deemed too late to enroll by Medicare standards.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Just a response.

AUTHOR: I Am The Law - (U.S.A.)

That is around Christmas time so I can see some delayed mail. Also, that's the time when a lot of companies start up their benefits for the next year. I'm not saying that's right, but that could explain the delay in processing.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I can try to help.

AUTHOR: Becki - (U.S.A.)

I don't know if you have gotten canceled or not yet, but you can also contact Medicare at 1-800-633-42270, and tell them you had given them ample time to dis-enroll you and they apparantly held on to the letter, or just pushed it aside, trust me neither would surprise me, I worked for this company in AZ, and they are extremely unprofessional, and do not follow any kind of laws or ethics, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit!