Complaint Review: Humane Society of Santa Clara

• Updated: Thu, September 15, 2011

• Reported By: Kim — Santa Clara California USA
Humane Society of Santa Clara
2530 Lafayette Street Santa Clara, California United States of America

Humane Society of Santa Clara Humane Society of Silicon Valley Stole my dogs out of my yard, broke the one's trachea and the other's tail by slamming it in their door Santa Clara, California

*Consumer Comment: I don't think

*Consumer Comment: Questionable advice from "Mr. Rik...

*Consumer Comment: "Booby trap"

*Author of original report: Money is their motive

*Author of original report: Just as the above person noted, I left something out

*Author of original report: You're right. Left something out...

*Consumer Comment: SCUMBAGS!

*Consumer Comment: $300 per day per dog?

*Consumer Comment: You're Leaving Something Out

Charged me over $600 to board my dogs that they stole from off my porch (saw the evidence of a struggle) while I was gone for a couple hours.  Broke my dogs trachea (dog had heart condition anyway) and the other dogs' tail (long tail with curl on the end - perfect afghan hound tail), making both of them unable to show anymore.  When I picked up the dogs the next day, they had urine and feces all over them.  I asked to go back into the kennel area and was refused, under the guise that I would not be able to handle some things and though I assured them having been a veterinary assistant for over a dozen years there is nothing in the back that would shock me unless it was unsafe/inhumane for the animals, and I was still refused admittance so I believe they had something to hide.

I was told if I didn't give them the ransome, ooops I mean payment for the overnight board of $600+, they would keep my dogs and each day it would go up $300 per dog.  The food they were feeding my dogs was garbage.  I got the dogs out and they were both so ill with vomiting and diarrhea for a week due to the bad food that it didn't surprise me they had no energy to combat what they caught in there and came down with kennel cough.  I had to pay for a rabies shot for each of them even though their vax were up to date because they didn't tell me in time that I needed proof of their shots before they would release them so the vet was closed.  I had to pay an extra amount for that.  Then, they said I had no proof they were mine.

I showed them their "citation" left on my porch and my ID with my address, exclaiming it was the address they took them from.  I even showed them a picture of the two dogs eating dinner in my home and they said it wasn't good enough.  I told them to bring the dogs out and see if they would come to me (dangerous enough with a sight hound), but they refused.  I finally said to them, you have no options for me.  I can't prove they are mine.  So they threatened to sell my dogs at the end of the week.  So, I threatened to stay in the building until they came up with a way for me to prove the dogs were mine.  They finally looked at the photo again, xeroxed it and my ID, and decided to let me have my pets.  They reeked.  They had been taken from my house around 4PM and were driven around in the vehicle for hours without any water until they were impounded.

Even by the next day, they were so dehydrated, if I lifted their skin, it stood up on end.  They required emergency medical care including fluids and surgery on the one for a broken tail.  (His tail was long and had a perfect curl on the end and they slammed it in the truck door when they put him in.  $1200.00)  I couldn't even get an apology from them for all the costs and suffering to my animals.  I knew they are government so it would be impossible to fight them, so gave up so I thank you for your site, Rip-Off Report for giving me the avenue  to let others know what they did to my 'family' and that I hope NO ONE ever supports them with monetary or other gifts... they must be stopped and the job given to someone who can take care of the responsibility of someone else's property and treat it with respect.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2011 02:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Humane-Society-of-Santa-Clara/Santa-Clara-California-95050/Humane-Society-of-Santa-Clara-Humane-Society-of-Silicon-Valley-Stole-my-dogs-out-of-my-yar-776547. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Humane Society of Santa Clara

I don't think

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

After dealing with these "humane" society predators I don't think the op will be letting her dogs run loose anymore.

Wouldn't a "pick up service" for derelict kids be a great idea!?

P.s.  Good job not letting them make dogfood out of your pets!

Questionable advice from "Mr. Rik...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

"Booby trap your yard so the next time these boys come sniffin around (and you know they do) they will be sorry. A bear trap is a good first step."

Great idea, then when your dog(s) stumble into the trap, with a little luck you may get them out of the trap before they completely chew their leg(s) off.  Not to mention the neighborhood kids in the yard retrieving an errant ball.  Should really work...go for it.

"Booby trap"

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

A bear trap is a good first step.

Money is their motive

AUTHOR: Kim - (USA)

I believe they damaged my pets to collect more money and to harass ... It was a racket like I've never seen before in there.  Thousands of dollars collected in minutes.  Forced vaccinations for those who didn't have proof of shots.  And it's not like they gave it to you for the price I would pay to a vet or to a breeder, but a fine and fee attached to everything.  It was like having your car impounded.  One of them half implied it'd be cheaper just to get new pets and let these be "put to sleep".  I just wanted my "family" out of there and out of the evil ways that were happening in that place.

Just as the above person noted, I left something out

AUTHOR: Kim - (USA)

Some young boys had been riding by on their bikes and throwing rocks at the dogs as they rode by the house.  The dogs (I'm sure) barked and were probably pretty aggressive about it.  I wasn't there, but I could imagine.  The parent(s) of the boys called the "humane" society and the dogs were picked up.

You're right. Left something out...

AUTHOR: Kim - (USA)

Neighbor boys had been throwing rocks at the dogs from their bikes.  The dogs (probably aggressively, I wasn't there, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt) barked at them, so their parents called the "humane' society to complain.

SCUMBAGS!

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Everybody should know what a bunch of scum is always hiding behind the curtains of these "operations".

They will STEAL YOUR PETS, if you give them half the chance. They will MISTREAT YOUR PETS, in the hopes of making you pay out EVEN MORE MONEY for treatment. They will GIVE YOU A HARD TIME getting back your pets, and charge RIDICULOUS FEES.
There are LOTS OF REASONS why they won't let you look BEHIND THE CURTAINS! KEEP YOUR PETS IN SIGHT or else HERE'S WHAT THE "HUMANE" SOCIETY WILL BE DOING TO THEM! p.s. Have you EVER met a "humane" society employee that wasn't CREEPY and SHIFTY???

$300 per day per dog?

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

This doesn't sound like anything a humane society would do.  Also, were they just driving by, saw your dogs behaving themselves on your porch and decide to kidnap them and hold them ransom?  Again, hard to believe.  My guess is your neighbors have problems with your dogs and someone called them in.

If so, this will probably happen again.

You're Leaving Something Out

AUTHOR: Lawrence - (USA)

I'd love to hear the reason for them "Stealing" your dogs off your porch.