Complaint Review: Huntington Bank (Polaris) Columbus Ohio

• Submitted: Thu, July 26, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, July 30, 2007

• Reported By:columbus Ohio
Huntington Bank (Polaris) Columbus Ohio
(Polaris) Columbus, Ohio COLUMBUS, Ohio U.S.A.

Huntington Bank (Polaris) Columbus Ohio CASHED POST-DATED CHECK, WHEN MONEY WASN'T IN ACCOUNT COLUMBUS Ohio

*Author of original report: Post dated checks and insufficient funds

*Consumer Suggestion: Post Dated Checks

I stumbled upon this site doing research and HAD to let you all know what HUNTINGTON did to me a few years back! I helped my significant other by paying the balance on his rent when the manager came to his apt. (she'd stated she was going away for the weekend and needed the money now), I wrote her a post dated check and told her the money wouldn't be there until the next day (he was getting home from work late that night) Anyway, I'd had my account balanced to the T, because I knew there was stuff coming in soon to be processed in the account.

The next morning, I go to make the deposit and my account is WAY overdrawn, I couldn't understand at first, but soon realized that they had cashed her post-dated check that had been written by me and the money wasn't even there at all! I called them and raised hell because this turn of events was going to ruin my life, I was simply told : "Well, sir that's just part of our customer courtesey program"

Please someone tell me how it's a courtesy (for me) when they cash a check before the date on insufficient funds! Then charge me 30.00+ dollars for each item that subsequently bounces! I don't know about you all, but I have NEVER been able to cash a post dated check on an account that didn't have the funds!

My account ballooned to negative 3 or $400.00 as they continued to charge me each day. I had told them to cancel and close the account, they simply would not until it was paid...I told them after hearing their total indifference, " Here's my customer courtesey! "I will NOT pay for this, and you can stick YOUR customer courtesey program up your a$$!"

This incident ruined my life for years and I have just now been able to establish POOR credit, and a bank account.... Huntington is the crappiest bank in the world and I don't know how they get away with ripping people off for hundreds of dollars... This is still on my credit report to this day!

T.A.G
columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2007 01:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Huntington-Bank-Polaris-Columbus-Ohio/COLUMBUS-Ohio/Huntington-Bank-Polaris-Columbus-Ohio-CASHED-POST-DATED-CHECK-WHEN-MONEY-WASNT-IN-ACCO-263254. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Huntington Bank (Polaris) Columbus Ohio

Post dated checks and insufficient funds

AUTHOR: T.a.g - (U.S.A.)

So why is it that we (the little guys) are not EVER able to cash checks when the money is not there and/or are postdated........This used to happen with my work checks, (ALOT) the check would come in the mail EARLY and I COULD NOT cash it until the date it said on the check, also when I used to work at a bank a while back, we were constantly rejecting people's checks when they would try to cash them because the small companies they worked for didn't have the money in their accounts........

I'm rebuilding my credit slowly but surely, but in my opinion they should have rejected the check but then they wouldn't have made 3 or $400.00........That way it wouldn't have wrecked my life...but either way, it was my fault for trusting the apartment manager or the bank , when she knew that I was simply helping my insignificant other, also strange that she didn't just deposit the check like most normal people do.......anyway, things are much better now...just thought I would share my story so that others don't make the same costly mistake as I did... T.A.G

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Post Dated Checks

AUTHOR: Chip - (U.S.A.)

simply don't exist. The minute you give the check to someone you're guaranteeing the funds are there NOW, not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. That's the way it works.

Lesson learned -- an expensive one albeit. Never play hard ball with a bank. You'll lose every time, and unless you're ok with bad credit and no checking accounts, you'll be miserable (as you learned) for a very long time. It's the sad state of affairs today.