Complaint Review: Hyundai

• Submitted: Sun, October 02, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, January 12, 2013

• Reported By: Kerry — Pawtucket Rhode Island U.S.A.
Hyundai
Washington st Attleboro, Massachusetts United States of America

Hyundai First Hyundai Paint rusting Attleboro, Massachusetts

*Author of original report: Honor thy product

*Consumer Comment: Seems pretty clear.

*Consumer Comment: The clear coat does NOT protect agains paint chips or rusting.

I bought my brand new $26,000 2011 Hyundai Sonata in November of 2010.  In August 2011 I noticed that there were several rust spots on the hood of my expensive new car.  I brought my car to the dealer who promptly told me it would be $500 to repair.  When asked if this would happen again he said it could.  If I wanted to be sure that it didn't happen again I had to buy a 3M protecter for an additional $750!  So after paying $26,000 for my new car, I have to shell out an additional $1250 9 months later????  Hell no.

I contacted the dealer to speak with the manager and was told they would have him call me back.  After 2 weeks I called again and got the same line.  After another 10 days, I still had not received a response to my phone calls.  I decided to call the corporate office and speak to someone there.  I was told this was not covered under the warranty as it was from a pebble on the road striking the car.  I guess I wasn't suppose to drive the car after I bought it.

I wish they had told me......I spoke with a manager and that person's manager and they still refused to do anything to repair the obviously faulty paint job on my brand new car!!!!!!  I did go to an outside body specialist to see what he thought.  I was told that it looks like the rust spots were from road debris such as a pebble but the clear coat should have definitely protected the paint.  He said to bring it to the dealer as this was a bad paint job.

If you are considering a Hyundai, please don't as they are pieces of crap!!!!!!   The company does not stand behind their product in any way.   I wish I never bought this car!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/02/2011 05:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hyundai/Attleboro-Massachusetts-/Hyundai-First-Hyundai-Paint-rusting-Attleboro-Massachusetts-783937. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hyundai

Honor thy product

AUTHOR: Dorathesnora - (U.S.A.)

After posting my complaint, I received a phone call from Greg, the general manager at First Hyundai asking me to bring the car in so that he could look it over. After viewing the paint he decided that he would have it repaired. Not only did they strip and repaint the whole hood, he also fixed a scrape on the front fender for us at no charge! Talk about going above and beyond to please a customer.

Seems pretty clear.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Both the dealer and the outside guy say that the rust is coming from rock chips.   The only thing I'd disagree with (like Ken) is that clear coat is magically able to prevent rock chips.  That's ridiculous.

Bottom line, this is not the paint job.  This is the result of small rocks hitting your paint at highway speeds.  No manufacturer warranty covers road damage like that.

The clear coat does NOT protect agains paint chips or rusting.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Road debris can chip it, the paint and primer, causing the rust.  The clear coat is there to keep metallic paints from oxidizing and deteriorating.

Whoever told you the clear coat would prevent that was mis-informed or lying.  I got some chips on my new (metallic and clear coat painted) Cadillac right after I bought it.

Got some touch up paint from the dealer....no problems.