Complaint Review: IBM

• Submitted: Sun, November 09, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, June 15, 2006

• Reported By:Kuna Idaho
IBM
1133 Westchester Avenue White Plains, New York U.S.A.

IBM ripoff, Poor warrenty/tech support White Plains New York

*Consumer Comment: A WARRANTY TO IBM MEANS NOTHING!

*Consumer Comment: No major manufacturer currently supplies out of warranty support

*Consumer Comment: Tech support means business time

*Author of original report: I never blamed IBM for my virus!

*Consumer Suggestion: How is this IBM's fault that you caught a virus and did not upgrade warranty?

I bought my computer little over 1 year ago and got a bug about 3 months ago that wiped out my computer. I called tech support, they told me my warrenty expired and would not help me at all. I had to replace my motherboard and processor. This was the first problem I had with my PC! I got no sympathy whatsoever from IBM. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Just a good luck from tech support. My old computer, Micron PC, I got tech support even after my warrenty expired. I will never buy from IBM.. Ever!

Will
Kuna, Idaho

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/09/2003 12:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/IBM/White-Plains-New-York-10604/IBM-ripoff-Poor-warrentytech-support-White-Plains-New-York-71399. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on IBM

A WARRANTY TO IBM MEANS NOTHING!

AUTHOR: Justin - (U.S.A.)

I had purchased a 3 year warranty on my laptop. With more than 1/2 year left on my warranty my computer was crashing (after any sort of processing would just simply shut off).

I called IBM, spent well over the time needed, to take my name, address, etc. and sent my laptop in. (After recieving a shipping box of course!)

When I recieved my laptop back, IBM stated that they replaced the mother board. I knew this to be a fact because the Linux operating system that was installed on the machine was now crying (had numerous errors) reguarding the processor and other numerous areas of the motherboard. Needless to say I reinstalled my operating system (instead of trying to fix it) and everything seemed fine. At least for a few weeks.

I have numerous laptops. I am a computer consultant. And its a giant hobby of mine. Therefore Im not on any particular laptop for any amount of time.

After finding time to play around with Linux, BAMMM!!!! same crashing problem. What could it be?

I still had 1 month left on my warranty, maybe a little more so I sent it in.

I was sent back my laptop with an invoice slip saying that the motherboard had again been replaced. Ok. Expecting the same errors I had gotten before when the motherboard was replaced, I turned on the laptop.

It fired right up. No errors. Curious I thought. So I played around a bit and again, everything seemed fine.

Well since than i've purchased at least 2 laptops, and again the Thinkpad/Linux went to the backburner while I concentrated on my work and other PCs that had more importance to me at the time.

Periodically throughout the last year I've maybe turned the laptop on for no more than 20 minutes at a time, maybe 5 or 6 times the entire year.

Now my job requires me to be involved more with Linux, so I fired up the Thinkpad.

GUESS WHAT?!?!?! SAME PROBLEM FROM OVER A YEAR BEFORE!!! HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?! I mean really. If anyone knows anything about computers, they know that NOBODY CHANGES A MOTHER BOARD TWICE BECUASE ITS BUSTED IN LESS THAN A 6 MONTH TIME PERIOD.

Just this afternoon I called IBM, I spent over 5 1/2 hours on the phone with them. During this over 5 hour time period I was every so rudely dissrespected more than I have ever been in my entire life.

Not only was I lied to, and laughed at, and made to hold longer than anyone im sure has ever been left on hold, but I was hung up on twice.

My entire 51/2 hour phone conversation has been documented, and recorded by IBM. 1 out of the 10 people I spoke with was reasonable enough to explain this to me. (The operator also states this at the beggining of every call.)

I have made my own report on rioffreport.com, but saw this report and couldn't leave without confirming what the topic creator had said from the begginging.

80% OF IBM PHONE SUPPORT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CALL.

When and if you call with a major concern or problem/question reguarding anything IBM might of done wrong you WILL realize the same thing.

I have requested the phone number from numerous IBM employees where I could possibly ask someone to listen to my entire phone conversations with IBM (since all of it was tracked and recorded according to a case number AND TWO Escalation numbers) but conviently nobody knows the phone number at IBM, and the last time I asked was hung up on.

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED BY MYSELF AND "APPARENTLY IBM". I HAVE CASE NUMBERS AND THE NAMES OF THE EMPLOYEES THAT DISRESPECTED ME THROUGH MY 5 HOUR ORDEAL. I CAN MORE THAN PROVE ANY STATEMENTS I HAVE MADE HERE OR IN MY OWN REPORT!

PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO ASK ME TO DO SO!

No major manufacturer currently supplies out of warranty support

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

As other posters have noted, no major computer manufacturer currently supplies out-of-warranty technical support. The costs of doing so are simply far too high for any company to absorb and still make a profit. If you wanted technical support after one year, you should have read the purchase agreement, which would have told you you needed to purchase it.

Oh, and Micron no longer sells computers.

Tech support means business time

AUTHOR: Sebastian Paul - (Romania)

While I do understand your frustration and the need to blame someone, I can't approve your criticism towards IBM. I am an experienced IT professional and, as it happends, I have a pretty good opinion about IBM. And no, I don't work for IBM.

You have to understand that providing tech support means that someone has to spend time helping you - company time. And company time means costs for the company, costs which would have not have been covered, since your warranty expired.

Now you might think "how much would it cost the time for helping me?". But you can't look at things only from your own perspective. If they would have helped you for free, other customers would have wanted the same. And even non-customers might then start to call IBM for free support. Where would all those costs go? IBM would have to raise the prices of their products in order to cover those costs.

So all this free tech support would have ended up being paid by IBM customers. Would this be fair? I think not.

If you want free tech support, there are plenty discussion forums around the Internet where you can look for help with your problems.

I never blamed IBM for my virus!

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

I never blamed IBM for the virus my computer got. What my beef was, if you read my letter, was that the tech support was non-exsistant, just because my warranty expired. I never once asked IBM to fix or replace my computer. I knew the risks when the virus first appeared. All I wanted was just a little help determining what the problem was. Even Gateway allows you to call them when your warranty has expired! So what if IBM has the largest market share? Even the most un-educated understand that a customer who is happy is likely to go back to that business. Even more, they are likely to tell others. IBM probably forgot that part!

#5 Consumer Suggestion

How is this IBM's fault that you caught a virus and did not upgrade warranty?

AUTHOR: Kim - (U.S.A.)

IBM is the oldest comuter manuf with the best tech support in the industry. When you buy your computer you are told it has a one year watrranty and you are usually given upgrade options. If you refuse the warranty upgrade then you should know you have only 1 year of coverage.

Virus's are EVERYWHERE with dozens of new virus's coming out each day. It is your responsibility to have a good virus scanner on your computer. If we replaced every single computer due to user error we would be out of business.

Micron has ZERO marketshare, plus along with making a substandard computer that is not superior to IBM in any category, so yes, they might be able to support out of warranty customers because their customer base is much smaller than IBM's, Dell's, etc..

You want warranty coverage greater than a year, like anyone else, you should not get it for free, especially when a virus is involved.