Complaint Review: IDT energy

• Reported By: Melissa — Elmira New York
IDT energy
Internet, New York United States of America

IDT energy IDT ENERGY SCAM Internet, New York

A few months ago a man came to my door just before 8 o'clock at night saying he was from the electric company. Living in an apartment busing I figured something was going on with the electric in the building so I opened the door. He asked for my nyseg bill, which I gave to him. He told me that the rates I was paying for my electric were way too high and that the company he represented could lower my bill so much that I would actually receive a "rebate check" within a few months. I asked repeatedly "will this cost me any more money in any way" each time he replied "oh no ma'am this will save you money".

My nyseg bill each month was about $100. When I received a bill the following billing cycle I had a charge of $187 from IDT. I called nyseg, there was nothing they could do about it. I called IDT obviously very upset. I had to go back and forth between nyseg and them. Oddly enough, each time I called the same agent answered and knew it was me each time I called before I gave any of my information. I cancelled my account with them but since nyseg couldn't do a meter reading this company was allowed to bill me for another billing cycle and part of a third. When I originally called and asked to speak to the person in charge they referred me to their "claims center".

This center called me back three business days later five minutes before they closed. So when I attempted to return the call I got a dead tone. I called the customer service line asking why I couldn't get through the woman said they closed and everyone in the office had gone home. The next day when they called me back it was the SAME woman who told me the day before that the office had closed. She played me the voice recording of me "agreeing to be charged the double rate" so she refused to refund me because it was proof I knew what I was signing up for. I went over and over with her about how the man lied to me and she responded by explaining the rates to me over and over.

I told her I don't need you to explain that to me I need you to refund me this money because I was lied to. I asked to speak to someone higher up than her so my lawyer could have the contact information and she began laughing at me and said "they can just call my extension back". I want to be contacted if a lawsuit is filed against this company. I am a 23 year old college student and mother of a 2 year old. I would have never signed up for something that charged me such an outrageous amount of money if I was not scammed! DO NOT sign up for this company. Even when you sign up and they are allowed to bill you even once and refuse to refund you they make their money's worth. Absolutely bogus company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2013 02:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/IDT-energy/Internet-New-York-/IDT-energy-IDT-ENERGY-SCAM-Internet-New-York-1043472. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on IDT energy