Complaint Review: IKEA

• Submitted: Wed, July 22, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, June 25, 2010

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
IKEA
ikea.com Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.

IKEA if the item is not available on the lowest shelf, you wont get it Tempe Arizona

*UPDATE Employee: An explination

So I jumped on the IKEA bandwagon. Went there 3-4 times previously, no issues. Drove 40 miles (one way) to IKEA to buy a new coffee table, this time I even took the gaz guzzler truck to make sure I can haul everything at once.

So after going thru to store and its complex system of paths we ended up having about $600 worth of self assemble crap on our cart, and the last item, our awesome coffe table should be ready on Isle 32 bin 16 (something like that).

So its about 5 pm, and I am standing in front of Isle 32 bin 16 and to my astounishment there is no coffee table. I am sad. I really wanted that table. So I look up in the same Isle and bin and about 3 shelf up there lies a pallet of the table I want. Oh joy! Let me find an associate and have them get me one.

And here we go, so the associate informs me its against their policy to operate the forklifts during business hours due to liabilities. Being American, I ask for the supervisor. Same thing, ask for the manage explain my situaution. 40 miles, gas, time, love for the table etc ....

So they offer me the following options:
1. Wait till the store closes then I will get the table, Store closes at 9 pm, and its about 5.15 pm.

2. Come back tomorrow (and hope it son the lower shelf).

3. Pay $70 to have a truck drop it off in a few days. I a mnot goint to pay $75 because your insufficencies. Free delivery would have been ok by me. After trying to explain to them what this means to me, I leave the store and go somewhere else where they have the table ready for me right away.

So I send a note on ikea.com explaining this issue, and Shaniqua (name changed to protect a poor call center agent) tells me this story about liability,etc. I told her its not my fault they can not properly stock up or forecast demand. This was my last trip to IKEA till they change their stupid policy.

I salute you Lowe's and Home depot for closing isles and getting an item for your customer. Way to go!

Customer
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2009 02:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/IKEA/Tempe-Arizona-85284/IKEA-if-the-item-is-not-available-on-the-lowest-shelf-you-wont-get-it-Tempe-Arizona-472321. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on IKEA

An explination

AUTHOR: AndyRoo - (United States of America)

I am actually an employee of IKEA.  Although I do not work in the warehouse, I do work in the Food Department.  We all have to watch the training Videos.  The managers mentioned this policy in the training, and I also thought that this was very strange.  Apparently after a few accidents in the warehouse, IKEA USA has decided to implement a nation-wide policy that they cannot run the forklift on the self-service floor during business hours.  Safety is a NUMBER 1 concern for IKEA, I am speaking from experience.  I'm really sorry about your coffee table.  You have to try to get there early.  Another suggestion:  go there during the week.  It  is a MUCH better experience.  Everyone is nicer during the week because it is WAY less crowded.

Anyways, that's all I really have to say.  I know it seems unreasonable, but hopefully this sheds some light on the subject.  It really is a great company and I LOVE working there.  GREAT EMPLOYMENT OPORTUNITIES, PEOPLE!  Also, they offer tuition assistance.  If you go to school while working, they will provide you with $2,500 per year for tuition!