The Timeshare business is frought with fraud and deceit yet millions of people including myself buy timeshares each and every day. On a recent trip to Sedona, I purchased a timeshare at the Ridge at Sedona Golf Course. For a deluxe one bedroom I paid $13,000 for a floating week. ( Sunterra resorts ) Could i have done better... Certainly, but we are dealing with Sedona... one of the most beautiful places on earth.ILX knows this and quite frankly takes advantage of the beauty. They are still selling timeshare intervals at the resort as I write this letter. God only knows what properties the deeds will be listed on.My wife and I purchased a 2 bedroom Premiere Vacation Club unit in Septemeber 2000. On January 3 2001 I called ILX to reserve a 2 bedroom unit and was told that all of the 2 bedrooms were completely booked. Instead, I was given a one bedroom and a studio unit in exchange. From 2001 to the present, that is what I have been receiving. That's OK also. Sedona is a beautiful place. Some things however still bother me and they are:
1. There is no home owners association.
2. The expense statements just have too many expenses tied to salaries and maintenance. Much more than should be
3. The 3 restaurants provide no income to the resort, yet the resort pays for their maintenance and upkeep.
4. The one bedroom units have no kitchen to speak of. I did see somewhat of a kitchen in a remodeled unit located in Building E towards the back of the resort.
5. The studio units are so small that an average person has difficulty in moving about. The Bell Rock units are spacious as studios go.
ILX has a great thing going for itself. A tremendous and sought after vacation spot. Great climate year round, some of the best views that money can buy, but somehow this all falls flat on their ears. Greed is OK in business, but carried to the extreme it somewhat gets dangerous. I hope from all of this, ILX has learned some valuable lessons. Basically, Don't screw with your own investors. Everyone who bought at ILX did so willingly. They bought thinking they finally got a piece of heaven. Whatever you do, don't make it a hell for all of us. Try and show a little class and honesty.