Complaint Review: ILX Resorts

• Submitted: Sat, October 06, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, October 06, 2007

• Reported By:San Jose California
ILX Resorts
160 Portal Lane, Sedona, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone: 928-284-1777
  • Web:
  • Category: Hotel

ILX Resorts - Premiere Vacation Club - Sedona Vacation Club - San Carlos TIMESHARE RIP OFF - CONSUMER FRAUD - DECEPTIVE PRACTICES - CROOKS Sedona Arizona

Two years ago I traded my "2 bedroom " unit for a weeks stay in the ILX resort at San Carlos Mexico. I saw the photos in the lobby at Los Abrigados of the San Carlos resort and it looked luxurious. A beautiful beach, large swimming pool, a jacuzzi, tennis courts etc. My wife and I drove down from Tucson through the border at Nogales and went over every bump that God ever created on Mexican Highways. We were anxious to arrive at this resort.When we arrived at the San Carlos resort we found the following:1. A two bedroom unit that was so dimly lit, that we bought a lamp in a Mexican store just to read at night. 2. There was no jacuzzi at the resort.3. There were no tennis courts at the resort.4. There was no beach at the resort, just a pile of sharp rocks jutting out behind a wall extending from the resort.5. There was no restaurant that was open for more than 6 hours.7. No tienda to buy the simplest of necessities.8. No bar to have a drink by, alcohol or plain soda.We found out that all of these amenities were located in a nearby hotel that ILX owned. To get to the hotel, one had to scale a small wall, travel over a road that was in reality a housing development and then through a gate finally to reach the hotel. One could have driven in a small bus that the resort provided, but unfortunately this bus was broken down for the entire week.When my wife and I checked into this "resort" we were told that telephoning from Mexico was an expensive thing, and if we needed to call the USA we should go to the hotel store and purchase Telmex phone cards.I did this and paid $30.00 US for the cards.Upon our check out we were surprised to see that the "resort" charged me $88.00 US for "making telephone calls" I explained that I followed directions and bought the Texmex cards at the hotel store and proceeded to dial the Mexican 800 number to get to the USA. The clerk said that it didn't matter since I still picked up the receiver to dial outside the "resort' I did complain to management, and I received a nice letter from the President along with $60.00 in ILX dollars for my troubles.

My wife and I have been travelling for many years worldwide and have never experienced anything as bizarre as this experience turned out to be. The photos in the lobby at Los Abrigados concerning San Carlos is strictly a "bait and switch" concept in luring unsuspecting travellers to this "resort'. Needless to say we will never go down to San Carlos again, and certainly not to anything ILX owns.You can reach me at (((Redacred))) if you wish to converse further.

Al
San Jose, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2007 07:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ILX-Resorts/Sedona-Arizona-86336/ILX-Resorts-Premiere-Vacation-Club-Sedona-Vacation-Club-San-Carlos-TIMESHARE-RIP-OFF-277405. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ILX Resorts