Complaint Review: INVENT-TECH

• Submitted: Sat, December 09, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, September 07, 2008

• Reported By:Port Carbon Pennsylvania
INVENT-TECH
2655 Lejeune Rd. Suite 550 Coral Gables, Florida U.S.A.

INVENT-TECH Eric Austin - Ed Rodriguez I was taken advantage of, called the number on tv. they told me after I sent in my idea that they had a staff meeting and my idea was a hit. I had to send in the money so they could get started. ripoff Coral Gables Florida

*Author of original report: update

*Consumer Suggestion: At least you know the reality of your situation....

I saw an ad on TV about Invention Technologies. I had been tossing around an idea I have had and I thought about marketing it.

I called for more information.I received numerous calls from them pursuading me to pursue this. They sent me forms to fill out which was where I had to name my product, it's purpose and my thoughts as to why I thought there was a need for it. I also had to draw a rough sketch. I was told my idea would have to be reviewed for marketability.

I got a call from them saying my idea was considered marketable and he even said their response was "outstanding idea".ERIC told me he never had a meeting so short.. that my idea was a hit. He told me I had to get started as soon as possible so no one would get this to market before me.

I agreed to the first package which was approximately $850.00. I was impressed with this package and I became very excited. I did notice the drawing they sent me back from my drawing was a tad bit cheap looking didn't take them alot of time to draft it.

I had a personal contact at this point and his name was Eric. He told me all about how he goes to Vegas and he puts his money in his shoe. THAT if he had my idea he would use it cause it made sense and was easy access and security as well.

I asked him if there was anything they found like my idea and he said they searched and found nothing so it could be patiented. Eric told me that they would get a patient pending. Because if someone wanted to license it or change it slightly we would have to get another patient.If a manufacturing company likes my idea this way they could change it slighty and not have to get another patient.

I asked him if they had ever fully licensed any ideas for anyone else. He said he had 4 fully licensed that year not counting what the other sales guys had. Invent-Techs fee was supposed to be 10% of whatever royalties I got.

He told me they attended over 700 trade shows. I thought wow what exposure!I was then informed that the mega exposure package was $5000 to $8500 depending on how much exposure I was willing to pay for. I'm sorry to say
I went for the $5,000 package.

He also said he would have his first millon by then. I assumed he was talking about their 10% of my royalties.
Eric wanted me to air mail the check to him,he said so we could get started and maybe I could be represented at the trade show in March. I did this and called him to make sure he got it. I noticed a chill right away. He said I was not to call him anymore at this point and he did not have time anymore anyway. I was given another number to call. I was now to work with Ed Rodriguez. Marketing Director and CALL 1-866-656-5423 for any information on the progress of my idea.

I received a few calls from them and the info I got was all very generic. "We are working on your package". The packages were rotated each month. One month it's a media package and the next month is a manufacturer's package, both containing 10 names of newspapers or 10 names of manufacturers. I have to mail these out myself and pay for the postage. Invent-Tech says this is so we can be involved. Certainly not the exposure I thought I was going to get for $5,000.

Now I never heard from them at all unless I call. When I called the last time the phone was answered as simply "yes". I thought that was very strange. I did some research and some of the companies they sent me were no longer in business and some were metal companies or construction companies. This had nothing to do with my wallet. I began to express my doubts about their operation and he got very angry was nasty. As he hung up he said "IT was a pleasure talking to you as always" I'll look into it for you but, with a lot of sarcasm.Never recieved any contacts again. they just stopped sending any information.

My contract was for 2 years and is over. I knew as soon as they received my money and the treatment I got there after that, something was wrong. I knew I had lost my money. I didn't want to believe that they would do this to me. I told them I was single and had to borrow money to do this --- Eric assured me that it would be worth it because it would sell. This was a total scam. THEY SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO THOUSANDS OF TRUSTING PEOPLE. They lied to me
for there own profit. They didn't do what they said they would and for the money I sent would not warrent the amount. They probably spent $100 IN ALL ON WHAT THEY SENT ME. THE CONTACTS AND MATERIALS TO SEND OUT THE FLYERS WHEN I PAID THE POSTAGE. I never heard from anyone on any contacts from any of the contacts.. I went on line and contacted some manufacturing companies on my own. I had some feed back and sent the e-mails to Invent-tech and they said they would handle it from there. Again nothing. they just took they money AND DID NOTHING FOR IT.

They have you sign an agreement that you will not say anything to anyone about how they operate or anything negative about their business. The public needs to be warned. I know there are thousands of people out there that have been taken advantage of by this company. It is not a company that is honorable. I do hope that we can all join together and stop them from using more people and take advantage of the hard working people out there. I have certainly already lost enough.

Darlene
Port Carbon, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2006 07:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/INVENT-TECH/Coral-Gables-Florida-33134-5846/INVENT-TECH-Eric-Austin-Ed-Rodriguez-I-was-taken-advantage-of-called-the-number-on-tv-224458. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on INVENT-TECH

update

AUTHOR: Darlene - (U.S.A.)

I have sent this to rip off and have not heard anything on my complaint. Can someone please contact me and give me some information.
Thank you Sept 7 2008.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

At least you know the reality of your situation....

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

I am not sure if the non-disclosure you signed means anything since you never seemed to get anything of value in return.

I have been down the patent path several times obtaining USA and EU patents. There is a logical process and you might want to understand it.

At some point as you proceed you WILL need an IP (Patent Attorney), and often the earlier the better. But DO focus on the fourth step.

Here is a "simplified outline":

Your first step:
Prepare a dated description complete with all sketches required to define your patent, and two witnesses who FULLY UNDERSTAND your idea. You & your witnesses must then sign and date EVERY page.

Your second step:
Figure $1000 for a patent search to discover 'prior art' ... unless you go to the PO and do this yourself. [This step is really a big benefit for you!] The PO will cite 'prior art' that they feel is related to your idea based on your document from Step 1.

Your third step:
YOU Review and YOU understand ALL discovered 'prior art' cited by PO.

Your fourth step:
YOU prepare YOUR explanations WHY any discovered 'prior art' is NOT 'prior art' to your idea... this is YOUR responsibility, not the responsibility of the IP. If any cited 'prior art' CAN be considered a variation of your idea, then this is a good place to reconsider proceeding, because if you cannot show why the cited patent is not prior art your related claim(s) WILL be rejected by a PO examiner.

Your fifth step:
NOW you are ready- maybe- to have your patent submission drafted, complete with all formal figures required to document your description and claims.

Your formal patent preparation usually starts around $5000 and could easily be $15,000.

And then.... YOU (not the IP) will argue as necessary with the PO examiners [but you communicate through your IP- Cha-ching!] as much as is necessary to prevent your claims from being disallowed out of hand because they are deemed 'prior art'. If you performed Step 4 in a diligent manner, this should be easy. But the examiners WILL be persistent, so you had better be well prepared.

If all goes well, you get a patent.

You are taking a risk if you try to market your idea before filing your patent. After all, you must TELL your prospective buyer WHAT you idea is during the selling process and then he/she might 'borrow' it. This can happen once in a while. And lawsuits to recover your stolen idea can be long, slow, and expensive... And what if all of your claims were ultimately disallowed...why would anyone pay you?

Of course, your prospects may not want to buy until your patent is actually secured.

Meanwhile, companies in other lands will learn of you idea (a granted patent is a public record unless it is a Classified idea) and, believe it or not, they may try to steal your idea. Honest!

I am sure you have noted that "I asked him if there was anything they found like my idea and he said they searched and found nothing so it could be patented." does not match with step 4 above. The key point was that YOU must make these decisions, not someone who may not really understand your idea, or who has other motives.

Have you investigated how you might file official fraud charges?