Complaint Review: ITT Technical Institute

• Submitted: Tue, January 30, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, June 17, 2007

• Reported By:Beaumont Texas
ITT Technical Institute
Webster, Tx Webster, Texas U.S.A.

ITT Technical Institute SCAMS DECENT PEOPLE THAT ONLY WANT A BETTER LIFE AND A PROMISED EDUCATION! Webster Texas

*Consumer Comment: The Job Market

*Consumer Suggestion: PRIVATE CAREER SCHOOLS CAN BE A RIP OFF THIS IS GOOD ADVICE

*Consumer Comment: ITT The biggest SCAM ever!

*Consumer Comment: I SECOND HER MOTION!

I am currently attending ITT Technical Institute. I am going to my 8th quarter (last quarter then I will be graduating). I have to say that I have not learned a thing here at ITT. All I know is I am in debt. I paid $50,000 to go to this school and I can't even get a job. This school is laughed at by recruiters. No one wants to hire people that have graduated from ITT. I regret ever wasting my time and money. I have a child and I wanted to better myself and give her a future. It looks like I have to now start over and go to a community college. The only thing this was good for was the "Associates degree of Applied Science" I will just hang it on my wall---and that is it. I am JOBLESS! I will never use it. I must say that I have absolutely no knowledge what so ever of my program choice. If I were to be hired, I wouldn't even know where to start. It is ashame, but it is the truth. I am just warning you, stay away from ITT Technical Institute. If you want to throw your money away, throw it away to me. That is all you will be doing anyway.

Just beware of the Representatives that sell you their school. They make commission and they will say anything to close the sale. I was promised a job, they can't even get me a job. My brothers friend graduated with a 4.0 Highest Honors and can't even get a job. He graduated 3 years ago. He had to get a bachelor's degree. I am not even sure if he got a job yet.
Just take my advice. Stay away. Save your money. Go to another school!!!

Jobless
Beaumont, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2007 12:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ITT-Technical-Institute/Webster-Texas/ITT-Technical-Institute-SCAMS-DECENT-PEOPLE-THAT-ONLY-WANT-A-BETTER-LIFE-AND-A-PROMISED-ED-233464. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ITT Technical Institute

The Job Market

AUTHOR: Jodie - (U.S.A.)

I graduated from ITT 15 years ago with a AS in Electronic Engineering and while still attending ITT I began working in the semiconductor industry. My pay scale is now nearly 8 times what it was when I started.

My experience with ITT was a good one, but I really feel for your bad experience. However, I think the blame lies more with the job market in the US than with ITT.

Technology Companies are doing more and more business overseas instead of in the US, thus forcing recent grads, especially those without a 4-yr degree to seek jobs outside of their course of study.

The best thing to do is research the market in your area. If you are in the Beaumont area. it is simply a terrible job market and has been for many years.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

PRIVATE CAREER SCHOOLS CAN BE A RIP OFF THIS IS GOOD ADVICE

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

I was raised in Louisiana and have resided in Texas for the last 16 years. I attended college and Vo Tech Education in both states. although I am unfamiliar with the other 48 states educational systems, let me explain something about the difference in public Vo -Tech Education and a private career technical school.
Louisiana is a notoriously poor state, and most work there consists of the blue collar type of employment. Louisiana has public Vocational and Technical schools there because community college was pretty much non exisitant there until the mid 90's Some examples of this are the following schools I am familiar with. TH HArris Vo Tech, Opelousas, Louisiana and Lafayette Regional Technical, in Lafayette, Louisiana. Lets say a person is interested in taking something like Medical/Nursing/Pharmacy Assistant, Aircraft Mechanic, NDT, Business Office/Secretarial they pay a small tuition, say 200.00 for a quarter and pay for all their own books, and supplies. Student aid is offered.
All the instructors are definately cerfified. The schools are run by the state public education system so they know that they cannot charge a person 25,000 to become a Nurse Assistant whose average wages are 9.00 an hour. My ex husband attened the public vo tech school in LAfayette, Louisiana and took Electronics Technology. When all was said and done he had paid approx. total 3,000 in tuition and another 1000 in books and supplies, and places like ITT Tech are charging people 50,000. Its a BIG SCAM!!! MY ex got an excellent post secondary education and even the opportunity to work for NASA.
I do not know if other states have public vo tech education, however if a person wants to major in Criminal Justice go to either a 2 or 4 year college because if one wants to become a police officer, they will need at least 60 credit hours from either a 2 0r 4 year state college, not a private career school. Now if a person wants to take something like Sound & Recording Engineer they can attend a specialty private career school because most 2 year colleges or public vo tech schools will not offer this. But even with that said, still investigate the school and do your homework and stay on top of things and then you won't get a big SCAM!! If people would just investigate their state's employment web pages, average wages are stated for various careers and those wages are not some uninformed sales recruiter making a bogus sales pitch saying someone can earn 15.00 an hour as a nurse assistant.

I have attended community college (Texas) 4 year college (Louisiana) and a for profit career school on line, however those studies were more about personal enrichment and additional knowledgement more than transferring credit courses. When I transferred my college credit from Louisiana I had 25 credit hours, Texas only accepted 15 and I had to take a CLEP test to test out of the rest of my English courses. If every future student in the US would accept this advice, they would all be much better off and for profit careeer schools with heavy handed sales tactics would be curbed down to very specialty schools and education for more comman careers would shift exclusively to community colleges and public vo tech schools if offered in their state.

AUTHOR: Trevor - (U.S.A.)

I attended ITT from 2002-2003. I completed a year and a half at ITT before I finaly had enough. I stayed at the school just because I thought it had to get better. I fell for "Sales pitch" also. I guess you could say I was young vulnerable.

I had attended Community College before attending ITT, so I had some college credits and I was told that some of the credits would transfer to the program (electronics engineering technology). I filled out the transcript request. I was told that I would be notified if my credits would be accepted or not. They never notified me so I assumed that the credits would not transfer (my mistake).

It turns out that the transcript request was never sent. I found this out after taking 2 math classes and half an english class that I had already taken in Community College. I went to the records office to see why the request was never sent. I was told that I never filled out the request, NOT TRUE. So, I just wasted money and time taking these classes that I did not need. I guess the joke was on me.

That not the end of the story, there's more. When I got to the electronics part of the "training" a few of my classmates were hardly passing the courses. It seem as if they were just getting passed through to the next class even though they did not know the matterial. I was also laughed at while looking for intern-ships and employement.

I finally started to realize that ITT is just one big joke. I began to hear rumors of graduates of ITT not being able to find jobs because of ITT's reputaion.

"The last straw." The last class I took at ITT, an electronics based class, my instructor was new to ITT and had never tought a class before. Although he was very knowledgable about the subject matter he didn't have a clue on how to related the information to the class. Two-Three weeks in the course the whole class seem to be lost.

A few students got to gether and decided to complain to the Super-intendent. I got involved with the students and made phone call the next day. I made my case to the Super-intendent about the teacher. He stated that he had other complaints about the teacher but intended not to do anything about it. I requested to be moved to another class but I was told that I would have to wait untill the next semester and drop out of the current class.

At this point I wasn't very happy and told him that "I'm paying ITT alot of money and if this is the way I'm going to be treated I will no longer attend the school." He told me to "Do what you have to do." He basicly didn't seem to care. Two weeks later we were assigned a new teacher. At this point we are 4to5 weeks behind and now have to kram the whole class in just a couple of weeks. I went ahead and finished the class and decided that I'm not going to waste anymore time and LOADS OF MONEY.

I SECOND HER MOTION!

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

HELL YES...they are freakin scam artists! The instructors I had BARELY knew english and usually had to be corrected by students. They actually gave "participation grades" and "attendence grades" in their classes since the more students that pass, the more money they get. Luckily I wasn't able to attend the whole semester because I got screwed over into thinking the money I was getting from the VA was going to be enough. Now I'm going to Galveston College and battling with the collection agency. EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM ITT TECH. ESPECIALLY THE ONE OFF GESSNER!