Complaint Review: ITunes Store

*Consumer Comment: Not true

*Consumer Comment: Yes

*Author of original report: Gift Cards

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like

I received an ITunes card for Christmas from my daughter. I tried to redeem it at the Itunes store and received an error message stating that I would receive an email from them. Here is the email I received:

Lynn, if you do not have the sales receipt or gift receipt for the iTunes Gift Card, it may be possible to obtain a replacement iTunes Gift Card from the store at which the card was purchased. If the store personnel are unable to replace the card itself, they may be able to reprint the receipt for you. Then you can fax or email the receipt and the card to the iTunes Store as described in our previous email. Unless you provide a receipt, the iTunes Store will be unable to assist.

My daughter lives far away from me in a different town. Why should a customer have to go so much work to enjoy a product that is already paid for? Why should customer have to do the foot work for Itunes? As far as I am concerned Itunes did not provide the product that was purchased for me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2012 09:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ITunes-Store/internet/ITunes-Store-Redeeming-ITunes-gift-card-Internet-822694. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ITunes Store

Not true

AUTHOR: Jason - (United States of America)

The same thing happened to myself over Christmas. I received a 30 dollar iTunes gift card that was not activated properly. I emailed iTunes customer service about the problem. They requested I send a picture of the front and back of the gift card. A week and a half later I received a new code to redeem my 30 dollar credit. I asked the man what happened to the cards that prevented me from using them, he told me they were not activated at the point of sale. I was happy and relieved in knowing I was able to get the credit.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I have no doubt that in the past you have never had to do this.  That is because the activation probably works correctly 99.9% of the time, if it didn't people would not want to buy them.  But there are cases, for what ever reason, that the card did not get activated.

As I said before I doubt this is an Apple issue and more of one with the store that your daughter got the card at.  I would also still bet that in the same situation this would have happened with any other card as well.

Gift Cards

AUTHOR: Lynn - (United States of America)

I have given and received many gift cards in my life and have never had to deal with any sales receipt.

Sounds like

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

That the card you tried to redeem was never activated, which means that iTunes never received proof that the card was actually purchased.

So most likely this is NOT Apple, but the store that your daughter bought it from did not activate it correctly.  These(and other gift cards) have to be activated by the store at the Point of Sale, so without that receipt Apple has no idea if it was just an honest mistake by the store or that the person claiming that they have a card just took the card but never paid for it.  So while I am not saying that your daughter would just take the card, Apple has to treat everyone the same.

No Receipt=No proof that the card was actually purchased=No Activation.

Oh and this is the same thing that would happen with EVERY Gift Card, so it is not Apple specific.