Complaint Review: Icon Health & Fitness

• Updated: Wed, November 02, 2011

• Reported By: Barbara — Holtsville New York United States of America
Icon Health & Fitness
1500 S. 1000 West Logan, Utah United States of America

Icon Health & Fitness Gold's Gym DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!! GOLD'S GYM 480 TREADMILL STOPPED WORKING AFTER ONLY 9 MILES.!!!! WALMART AND ICON DO NOT BACK PRODUCT Logan, Utah

*Consumer Comment: You were too late.

My son purchased the Gold's Gym 480 Treatmill from Walmart.com as a gift for me in early January 2011.  I had to rearrange some rooms to accommodate it, so I didn't start using it until the end of March 2011.  After walking only 7 miles the machine beeped 3 times and shut off.  The control panel was frozen so left it for another day.  The next day, I had a rough time getting the control panel to work, but it finally did so I walked 2 more miles and the same thing happened.

I called Icon customer service on 9/30/11 and was told that it sounded like the control panel was defective, but since the warranty was for only 90 days, they would SELL me a replacement panel for $150.

I then wrote to Walmart and to the manufacturer Icon Health & Fitness.  Walmart never responded.  Icon offered to sell me the replacement panel for 1/2 price.  I refused their offer.  Given the size and the weight of this unit, it's not something I can just bring back to the store!  I would like them to replace the unit or refund my son's credit card.

THIS TREADMILL COST $400 AND ONLY LASTED 9 MILES!!!!!  DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM WALMART OR ICON BECAUSE THEY DO NOT BACK WHAT THEY SELL!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2011 11:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Icon-Health-Fitness/Logan-Utah-84321/Icon-Health-Fitness-Golds-Gym-DO-NOT-BUY-THEIR-PRODUCTS-GOLDS-GYM-480-TREADMILL-STO-793593. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Icon Health & Fitness

You were too late.

AUTHOR: I am the law - (USA)

Ok, so you bought an item, and didn't use it for 90 days (which is past Walmart's posted return period and Icon's warranty). Thus, you didn't know it was defective until it was too late. Now you're complaining that you're stuck with an item that doesn't work.

People, I don't know how many times I have to say that you should test high-end items right after you buy them. It literally takes just a few seconds and can save you some serious headaches. As for Walmart, I don't know why you're blaming them. You went past the return period and they certainly don't have little bits and pieces to items in the back room to give you. In other words, they just sell items, they don't maintenance them.

I'm sorry that you got a bad piece of equipment, but I guess you'll do things differently in the future now.