Complaint Review: InPhonic, Tiger Direct, Cingular Wireless

• Submitted: Sat, September 30, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, November 20, 2006

• Reported By:Jackson Michigan
InPhonic, Tiger Direct, Cingular Wireless
PO Box 52900 Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

InPhonic, Tiger Direct, Cingular Wireless Fraud Cell Phone Rebate Company Ripoff Phoenix Arizona

*Author of original report: Update - 3 of 4 checks received

*Author of original report: Update - Government Actions off BBB website

On 10/28/2005, I purchased two new Motorola Razr V3 phones from Tiger Directs website with new cell service for both through Cingular. Tiger Direct was offering the phones with a $100.00 customer appreciation and a $100.00 customer loyalty rebate per phone. Total of all rebates was $400.00.

The rebate process is a virtual obstacle course of paperwork and specific submission dates to begin with but never the less; I complied with all paperwork submission requirements. All original required submissions were sent on 5/5/2006 via registered mail and I did receive return receipts for the submissions. The rebate terms indicate you will receive your refund within 10-12 weeks from submission.

On 5/8/2006 According to my registered return mail receipt, my paperwork was received at the rebate processing center in Phoenix, AZ.

On 5/13/2006 - I received an email stating there were problems with my submission there was no bill/invoice date and the statement The wireless bill(s) we received is invalid. The claim form submitted was incomplete and/or illegible. All fields are required. This is not a true statement.

Based on a review of my copies all fields were filled out, the form is legible, and the bill/invoice date was clearly marked. Within my duties as a Michigan State Police Officer I submit forms to the Prosecutors Office on a regular basis and I am versed in form completion and proofreading.

On 5/19/2006 - I phoned the rebate center, spoke with David and was advised of same and they requested I fax all documents to them again. I faxed and resent everything registered mail.

On 5/25/2006 I called the rebate center, spoke with Bailey and was advised all submissions looked OK and they were under review.

On 6/5/2006 - I called the rebate center and was advised all submissions were updated and all were In Review.

On 6/6/2006 I checked the rebate website and found one of the submission ID's showed an error in processing. I called the rebate center and employee Laurie stated it looked ok and resubmitted it for review.

On 6/10/2006 I looked at the rebate website and it showed the error was cleared and it was under review.

On 7/29/2006 I looked at the rebate website and it showed problems InPhonic is reprocessing your submission with a new service provider and will contact you with further information regarding your rebate request. You will receive a letter or postcard describing this problem. The letter or postcard may have instructions on how to correct this error. No postcard was ever received on this but I called the rebate center on 2 occasions in August 2006 and my file was reviewed over the phone. In both calls, the operator stated everything looked fine with my submissions and she would send a request to have my rebate checks mailed and I could expect them in 5-10 days.

On 8/31/2006 I reviewed the rebate website and it stated InPhonic is reprocessing your submission with a new service provider and will contact you with further information regarding your rebate request. You will receive a letter or postcard describing this problem. The letter or postcard may have instructions on how to correct this error. Again called the rebate center and was told my rebates were good to pay out and again they stated the checks would be mailed out in 5-10 days.

I also called the rebate center 2 more times in September and again was advised everything looked fine but the rebates were still under review.

As of September 30th, I have not received any of my rebates. I can't help but to think this company, InPhonic has no plans to pay anyone back what they are owed. I have been diligent, kept in constant contact, submitted all documents within InPhonic time requirements, made copies of everything and kept meticulous notes.

Looking at several complaint websites I see several people have basically the same issues with InPhonics as I do. I feel this may have to go to a class action civil lawsuit. In Addition, I reside in Michigan where internet fraud is prosecutable and it does not matter that the company or person is based out of state.

Interestingly enough I see that Tiger Direct is now offering a deal on Free Motorola Razr V3 phones with a new contract through Cingular with no rebate incentive. Just free phones!! Perhaps they got sick of dealing with InPhonic and all their lies.

Mark
Jackson, Michigan

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on InPhonic

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2006 11:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/InPhonic-Tiger-Direct-Cingular-Wireless/Phoenix-Arizona-85072/InPhonic-Tiger-Direct-Cingular-Wireless-Fraud-Cell-Phone-Rebate-Company-Ripoff-Phoenix-A-213532. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on InPhonic, Tiger Direct, Cingular Wireless

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Recieved my last check today. Only took 6 months and countless hours in research and phone calls.

Update - 3 of 4 checks received

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

***UPDATE*** - recieved 3 checks so far (Check numbers 9826836, 9826837,9826838).from a TX on 10/13/2006 - per "GIA" at the rebate center, 4th and last check is "in the process of being issued and mailed to you at this time".Thanks to you all for your help - couldnt have made it this far without you.I will update again when the last check is recieved.

Update - Government Actions off BBB website

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Off Better Business Bureau Website - Go figure!!

BBB Membership Issues
In November, 2005 this company's membership in the BBB was revoked by the Board of Directors of the Better Business Bureau due to failure to maintain the principles and standards required for membership.

Customer Experience
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).

Government Actions
June 8, 2006 District of Columbia

The Office of the Attorney General for the City of Washington, DC filed suit in Superior Court of the District of Colmbia seeking permanent injunction and other equitable relief, restitution and civil penalties versus Inphonic, Inc. The suit alleges that the company discloses terms and conditions of its rebate procedures far from its on-line advertising, utilizes restrictive rebate conditions, fails to disclose hidden charges, and does not provide advertised customer service.