• Report: #991951

• Reported By: Nathan — clarence center New York United States of America
Infiniti
Franklin, Tennessee United States of America

Infiniti Nissan Dangerous Malfunction Franklin, Tennessee

*Author of original report: Side curtain.

*Consumer Comment: Front airbags do NOT deploy unless there is frontal impact.

I was the owner of a 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Up until I purchased this vehicle I had always driven beater cars, but I decided that it was about time I get a nice car. Something that's fun, comfortable, and safe. Or so I thought.

A couple of weeks ago while I was on my way to work I ended up sliding off the road, into a ditch, and finally rolling over a full 360. The issue I have isn't the accident of course, it's what happened during the accident. Not a single one of my airbags deployed. None of them. I could have DIED.

I purchased this vehicle for the sake of safety, yet right when I needed it the most, the car failed me. Had the accident been any different, I could have been killed. As it stands I am left with a bit of pain, and a very stiff shoulder from bracing myself. The vehicle was well taken care of, and I hadn't had any issues with it up until this. [continued below]....
..... It was purchased used, so I can't be sure of what it had been through prior to my ownership, but from what I could tell it was in tip top shape. I even took it to the dealership when I first got it to make sure it was up to snuff with any recalls.

That's where it gets somewhat interesting, apparently these cars are known for airbag issues due to some faulty sensor. The dealer stated that my vehicle had the sensor replaced sometime ago, and it should be in the clear. Now that seems quite fishy to me, since a little while after getting the vehicle, I had a sensor light pop-on. The only issue was that the light went away by the end of my drive, and never came back. From what I understand the light can come on due to weight sensing issues with the passenger seat.

Either way, there wasn't any codes in the system, and it passed NYS inspection with flying colors. No lights on the dashboard for well over 6 months between it's inspection and the accident. To my knowledge everything was fine with the car.

I don't care that the vehicle was used. The airbags should have went off. There was more than enough going on during the accident to trip a sensor, and if something was wrong with the airbag/sensors, than there should have been a SOLID light on the dash that STAYED on. If the light that came on 6+ months ago for 1 day was my warning, than that's a pretty horrible warning. It shouldn't have just disappeared, especially since it wasn't even there long enough for me to know what it was (thought I did look it up later). Plus it didn't even fire off a problem code over the OBD2 port (would have come up during the inspection...). Lastly, Infiniti KNEW about this issue, and my car was supposedly taken care of. I don't know what the recall covers, but it certainly didn't fix the issue.

In closing, I will never buy another Infiniti after this experience. I don't care that it was used, the vehicle hadn't been abused previously, and hadn't been in an accident. I could have died in that accident, not because the car caused the rollover, but because the car didn't respond to it and deploy the airbags.

Thanks for almost killing your own customer Infiniti/Nissan.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2013 05:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Infiniti/Franklin-Tennessee-37068/Infiniti-Nissan-Dangerous-Malfunction-Franklin-Tennessee-991951. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Infiniti

Side curtain.

AUTHOR: Nathan Fiscus - (United States of America)

This car had side airbags. They would have gone off due to lateral G-Force changes. They are there for side impact and rollover situations.

Front airbags do NOT deploy unless there is frontal impact.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

This is done to prevent injury against a person who has NOT moved forward.

I suspect the airbags worked as designed and you were lucky they DIDN'T deploy.

Was this what happened, or was there a recall as you say?