Complaint Review: Instant Checkmate

• Reported By: DavidJS — Dimondale Michigan
Instant Checkmate
4330 South Valley View Blvd, Suite 112 Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Instant Checkmate Instant Checkmate Is Looking to Scam YOU Las Vegas Nevada

I signed up for Instant Checkmate to do a one-time background check on an individual.  This slick and shady website advertised a one time fee of $1 for a background check. I agreed, and submitted by credit card information for the payment. Meanwhile, on a different page, under "terms and conditions" they surruptitiously communicated that my one-time payment of $1 would be understood as an agreement to join the membership after a period of 5 days if I did not cancel within that period. Since they did not make this information obvious in pages leading to the "one-time subscription",  I assumed this was a one-time fee and no more. I was wrong. They automatically began billing me at a rate of $39.63/month.

Having overlooked this fee, 21 months later, I notice this on my credit card statements. I had be charged about $840 dollars for a service I had only used once. Additionally, after I had "signed up" for this fee, they lowered their rates by $10, yet continued to bill be according to the original fee of $39.63. After complaining to the company that I never intended to join and had no need of the services, and had only used it once, they refunded me for 8 months of fees, and canceled my "membership". I am now out $520!

After being slipped the proverbial "mickey" I learned two lessons, ALWAYS check your credit card statements and NEVER believe a company that advertises a one-time service without reading the fine print.

CONGRATULATIONS INSTANT CHECKMATE ON SKIRTING THE LAW AND RIPPING OFF A POOR STUDENT OF HIS STUDENT-LOAN MONEY!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/31/2013 11:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Instant-Checkmate/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89103/Instant-Checkmate-Instant-Checkmate-Is-Looking-to-Scam-YOU-Las-Vegas-Nevada-1055340. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Instant Checkmate