Complaint Review: Instant Checkmate

• Reported By: Dianna — Seminole Oklahoma
Instant Checkmate
Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Instant Checkmate Misrepresentation, incomplete information Las Vegas Nevada

*Author of original report: A bit confused about the rebuttal. Do you work for them??

*General Comment: so how exactly??

We signed up for what we thought-and were led to believe-was a one time fee to use their background check service. Unfortunatly we didn't read the fine print at the bottom, which stated the service would roll over to a monthly service if the customer does not call to cancel it in a certain amount of time. This is a common ripoff of some unscrupulous companies. This company misrepresented its billing practice. We pushed the button for a one time search, but it rolled over into monthly.

Fortunately, we will only be charged the extra month for the service once because I keep a close eye on our bank statements and noticed we had been charged again for it. I went ahead and didn't make a stink about the extra charge because I feel in all fairness, I should have read the fine print. But, in all fairness the other way, if one pushes the button for once then that is all the company should charge for rather than adding fine print stating otherwise. Many people don't read the fine print, they just push ok and continue on. This is an underhanded business practice and this company should stop using it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/25/2013 06:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Instant-Checkmate/Las-Vegas-Nevada/Instant-Checkmate-Misrepresentation-incomplete-information-Las-Vegas-Nevada-1053764. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Instant Checkmate

A bit confused about the rebuttal. Do you work for them??

AUTHOR: Dianna - ()

I stated quite clearly in my report that I carried part of the blame for not reading the fine print. I was mildly aggravated that I fell prey to a wily marketing trick. So why on earth would you file a rebuttal to something I have alreadly laid claim to?

The point of the report is to complain that on their site they give several  options for billing. One is to join for a monthly service fee, and one is to use the service ONE TIME for a $23.00 fee. I have no need for the service all the time, therefore my choice was to use the service ONE TIME. Any normal person would assume that if they chose the ONE TIME fee they would only be charged one time without having to jump through hoops to cancel the service

As I stated earlier I share part of the blame for not reading the fine printand that is why I didn't ask for a refund of the charge for May. It's on me. But I feel that the company is misleading if they give a one time use payment option then start charging the fee on a monthly basis if the customer does not call in and cancel before the time is up for the month. It is misleading and wrong to do so. It should state clearly on the website in regular type that the customer is signing up for a monthly service no matter which billing option they choose. This fact should not be buried in the fine print. It is sneaky and underhanded.

I stand by my report.

#2 General Comment

so how exactly??

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

So how exactly is this a ripoff? You even state that you DID NOT read the fine print. How can you as an adult sit there and blame them for your failings? Sounds to me like your just angry that you didnt catch the wording in the fine print. Sorry to tell you this, but it looks like they did disclose all relevant information. You just choose to post here because your butthurt. Take some responsability for YOUR mistake. Nothing was misrepresented to you. You just choose to NOT read everything until you were held to the terms of service. Thats all on you. Its a shame ppl like you are out there. You give the consumer a very bad name.