Complaint Review: InstantCheckmate.com

• Submitted: Tue, February 14, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, February 15, 2012

• Reported By: Connie — Charlotte Michigan United States of America
InstantCheckmate.com

InstantCheckmate.com Very sneaky & slick. Temporary charge turns into 1 year membership. Read the fine print! Internet

*Consumer Comment: Here's a pertinent part of their Terms of Use...

*Author of original report: Connie

I signed up for a $1.00 temporary membership to try the service out for checking a person's background.  I found the information it brought up was useless and figured it was only $1.00, so I let it go.  It only listed several previous addresses for the person and that's it.  Of course they had me set up an account when I paid the $1.00, which included my email and a password.

Unfortunately, I did not see where it said it was necessary for me to call the company to stop them from signing me up for a permanent membership.  I was unaware that I had been signed up for a membership until I checked my bank statement and found they had charged me $24.63 for one month.  I tried to log into my account online and it would not take my email or password.

I had written the password down, so I know I had it right.  I tried to get in twice and gave up and went to the "password reset", which said they would contact me by email for a password reset.  It would not take the request.  I entered all requested info & clicked and it would not do anything.  I did not receive a password reset via email.

I called the number they listed for Customer Service.  I talked to Amanda, who was very polite.  I asked for the membership to be canceled.  Now I have to wait and see if my request has been fulfilled.  I have McAfee Protection on my computer and when I typed in the web address it warned me that they found the site risky and recommended not going into it.  Too late for me.  I should have checked it the first time with McAfee.  Please do not do business with InstantCheckmate.com

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2012 10:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/InstantCheckmatecom/internet/InstantCheckmatecom-Very-sneaky-slick-Temporary-charge-turns-into-1-year-membership-838944. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on InstantCheckmate.com

Here's a pertinent part of their Terms of Use...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

By default, all plans are scheduled to renew automatically when the selected term comes to an end. Customers can cancel at any time by calling our customer support line at 1-866-490-5980 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-490-5980 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

If you selected a trial membership, your five day $1.00 trial (or $0.99 trial) will expire in 5 days. If you would like to cancel before the trial ends, you may do so for any reason and you will not be charged again. Simply call 1-866-490-5980 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-490-5980 end_of_the_skype_highlighting between 5:00 AM and 7:00 PM, PST, Monday through Friday, or weekends between 5:00 AM and 6:00 PM, PST to speak with one of our Customer Service Representatives. Otherwise, your trial membership will end five days after you signed up, at which time you will be charged the standard monthly rate of either $14.63, $19.63, $24.63, $29.63, $34.63, or $39.63. The monthly rate is determined by the promotion that was running at the date of purchase. Your membership will automatically renew every 30 days thereafter until you cancel.

This was a link at the bottom of their sign up page....looks pretty straightforward.

Connie

AUTHOR: Connie - (United States of America)

I was supposed to receive a confirmation via email that my account was closed and no more money would be charged to my credit card, which I did not receive, so I called them again and got a very nice person named Raven.  I told her I wanted to make sure my account was closed and that I did not intend to use their site again.  She assured me that the account had been closed and that I should check my email spam folder for the confirming email.  There was no email in my spam folder.  She said she would send another confirmation via email.  She volunteered to remove the charge from my credit card.  I felt reassured and will check my credit card account in March. I was very angry when I submitted my original report.  I am hoping this matter has been cleared up after two phone calls.  I will provide an update later.