Complaint Review: Intellius People Search

• Submitted: Sat, February 27, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, November 15, 2011

• Reported By: Bonnie — San Antonio Texas U.S.A.
Intellius People Search

Intellius People Search seen on billings and net as INT IDPROTECT MNTR. unauthorized billing of monthly charge, Internet

*Consumer Comment: It is a RIP OFF

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Intelius confusing site by design

*UPDATE Employee: Intelius Subscription

In December, I needed to find my brother's new address and phone number due to a family emergency. I consulted Intellius, but they did not have any current information on him. However, I did note that there was a single $.99 charge for a secure lookup and considered this reasonable for a one-time search. In January, I noted a charge of $19. 99 had been paid from my account to INT IDPROTECT MNTR.  With some difficulty, I found a phone number and called them. The customer service rep argued with me that I did approve the charge. Her rationale? I didn't check a box opting out of the monthly service plan and didn't call to cancel within the specified time stated on the site. Box? Cancel out. Not to my knowledge! I very adamantly told this person to close the account and was assured it would be done. Guess what, boys and girls; a new charge showed up on 2 February! Guess they couldn't take no for an answer and will be getting another call from me and quite possible the Better Business Bureau in their state.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2010 07:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Intellius-People-Search/internet/Intellius-People-Search-seen-on-billings-and-net-as-INT-IDPROTECT-MNTR-unauthorized-billi-575410. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Intellius People Search

It is a RIP OFF

AUTHOR: clark - (United States of America)

Choosing to "automatically" enroll someone in a service after 7 days is rediculous and a sure way of scamming 19 bucks out of someone. This happened to me as well and since I used your site prior to this last year and didnt recieve a charge of this sort I see it is a fairly new money making concept for you guys. I did call customer service and the only refunded me back for 30 days but had been taking it out for 3 months and I never realized it until the last charge overdrafted my account. This service is offered far less cheaper by Experian and banks as well. I think it is a rip off as well.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Intelius confusing site by design

AUTHOR: tomjasz - (United States of America)

Customer support? The site is designed to be confusing or at least the confusing screens are overlooked. This is simple baiting. Shame on you! I called support and got nothing but a run around. Please folks their services are poor and the site is set with traps. They pop up constantly in Google searches. How many hundreds of consumers are baited and get nicked for $19.95?

Intelius Subscription

AUTHOR: Intelius_Customer_Support - (USA)

If you select a promotional price on the Intelius website, you will also receive a free 7 day trial of Identity Protect.   After the 7 day trial, it will convert to a regular subscription and bill out at $19.95 monthly.

However, theres no obligation.  If you determine within the 7 day trial that you no longer want Identity Protect, you can cancel your service anytime, online or over the phone with a customer support representative.

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday Friday 4:30am 10:00pm PST.  We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.