Complaint Review: International Books - Maryland

• Submitted: Mon, May 23, 2011
  • Updated: Sun, August 21, 2011

• Reported By: Profilady — Avondale Arizona U.S.A.
International Books - Maryland
567 Central Avenue, Dover, NH, 03820 Internet United States of America

International Books - Maryland International Book Sales Reselling my books & jacking up prices by $ 100 withOUT my permission; contact by my attorney - no reply Dover, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Ask their attorney

*Consumer Comment: How is it illegal?

*General Comment: International Books

I am the AUTHOR of a book called "The Only Handwriting Analysis Book You Will Ever Need" and THIS MAN does NOT have permission to SELL MY BOOK - he is RAISING THE PRICE $ 100 and then SELLING it. I have contacted him and there has been NO REPLY. My ATTORNEY is going to contact him but we have NO contact information OTHER THAN "contact Seller" on Amazon. We did contact Amazon who provided this contact information for the purpose of my attorney's contacting him & this report.

What he is doing is ILLEGAL / INTERSTATE FRAUD and I FULLY INTEND to press charges if he does not stop immediately. Here is the seller's page with MY book on it...

Thank you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/23/2011 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/International-Books-Maryland/internet/International-Books-Maryland-International-Book-Sales-Reselling-my-books-jacking-up-pr-732162. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on International Books - Maryland

Ask their attorney

AUTHOR: JulieM87105 - (USA)

If you have questions about why / how this is illegal - email their corporate legal guru at Ray@SolveMyCase.com

They won't answer here because they don't read these after posting.

How is it illegal?

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

IF they are selling legally obtained copies of your book, I don't see how they are breaking the law by reselling it for more than they paid for it.

I suggest you ask your attorney to look into a tenet of law known as the "first sale doctrine" (sometimes called "right of first sale.")

Example:  If I purchase a lawfull copy of a book from BooksRus (publisher is paid)  and then resell it online for double what it cost me I am NOT breaking any U.S. copyright law-First Sale Doctrine.

Kindly explain what law it is that your or your attorney believe they are breaking.

#3 General Comment

International Books

AUTHOR: Eagle Eye - (Canada)

Re the author in Arizona complaining that this company jacked up the price of his book and is trying to sell it on Amazon. There is no more law against that than trying to sell a used car for more than it cost new. If he can find suckers to pay such a price he can't be stopped by the law. I have the same situation but worse. The publisher of my book, Dangerous Days, pulled a fake bankruptcy and skipped off half a year of royalties. Since a year later Amazon was still advertising the book I went after Amazon and got no response. After three tries, I finally I obtained the address of their CEO and a couple of VPs and suggested to them that we could all save some time and legal costs if they responded to my complaint. This brought a response. They claimed that they had sold not a single copy but they would keep the book on strictly for used books. Now if they sold no new ones, where are we supposed to believe the used ones will come from? The Amazon ads still run for the used book two years later and guess who is selling a copy - International Books. It sold new for $12 and International is asking $95.00 for a used one.

This is laughable. But it sure makes Amazon look bad. I'll think twice before I ever deal with them again. Another plaintiff in this report complained about International taking his money and not shipping whatever he bought. Since these transactions are done through Amazon, it is Amazon which is responsible for the refund. Go after them.