amounts

Complaint Review: Interstate Subscription Services, Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, January 28, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, April 09, 2012

• Reported By:Gresham Oregon
Interstate Subscription Services, Inc.
4835 Fredericksburg Rd. San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

Interstate Subscription Services Inc intentionally lied about refund policy, now will not compromise dirty ripoff liars the business that doesnt give a dam tricked and lied to us San Antonio Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: ISS is a great company

*UPDATE Employee: so u cant handle being a mag agent

*UPDATE Employee: Please Liar

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Been there, done that

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: To all of those mag people

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: My story of how it all happened

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Response to brain washed agent and customer who bought magazines

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Organized Slavery

A salesman of magazine subscription deceived me into buying 26 issues. He was selling the subcriptions for some contest that was run buy the company already noted.

He ensured me that if I were to order a subscription that there would be no problem receiving full refund and he would still earn points for his little contest. The deal sounded like there would be no harm towards me or my wallet.

I was informed that when I receive the magazine to simply send it back, and in turn I would get a full refund. That was the return policy as explained to me.

After a few weeks and no sign of the magazine, I got curious as to when I might be receiving it. I scrounged up the receipt and found in small letters written on the back of the carbon copy the return policy was only accepted if you made a written cancellation to the company 3 days after signing for the subscription.

After reading this I immediately sent in for my refund, and an explanation of my deceit only to be turned down by not complying with company policy.

The subscription is not for a substantial amount of money, but to not act on this would not settle well with me. Also as a struggling college student the smallest amount means a great deal.

I realize now that I was swindled into a bad deal, but I was just trying to help the kid and not get hurt in the process. Which is exactly what I was told

Bobby
Gresham, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2003 02:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Interstate-Subscription-Services-Inc/San-Antonio-Texas-78229/Interstate-Subscription-Services-Inc-intentionally-lied-about-refund-policy-now-will-not-43048. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Interstate Subscription Services, Inc.

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

ISS is a great company

AUTHOR: worlds best mag agent - (United States of America)

Iss is a great company. I worked for Dennis Street under Tom Roach for a good while. These reports of people being told to lie are false and down right lies. One thing while I was there they always stressed was not be honest to you coustomers because if you don't your orders will be canceled. I mean they are backed by thre bbb so thats a lie anyone looking at this can see that if you talk the time to look. They do not beat or cuss you out. The only time I saw a manager cuss at a employ was because he caught him doing drugs. Thats a big no no. Dennis Street was not only a great friend but mentor and i look at him as a father figure because he did all the things one would have done. I'm not just saying these things because I think everyone is wrong I'm just giveing my personal account of my life on a mag crew. I'm sure there are bad people out there and crazy crew members and managers but all I'm saying is not all the people and I fell most are desent people. So please put names of who you are talking about. Thanks my name is jessie woodard if you know me call or text me at 217 620 4428.

so u cant handle being a mag agent

AUTHOR: mindy - (United States of America)

you know what i am sick of these ppl on here complaing about how they feel forget ur feelings and get over urself dont ever say a bad word about jimmie he is the best boss ever and this is not slavery see these ppl that talk about it being slavery were to much of cry babies to be able to handle what we do out here and i make alot of money i dont starve and i dont sleep on the floor the ppl that complain just cant be mag agents and they wabed u dont like being called a wab then  u should have never joined this is a self motviated job that means u learn the job and  go to work its not that hard if u cant sell mags then ur life is trash and the ppl that r complaing are retarted becasue all they can do is lie about how bad they had it when they were here
always mindy agent number 33
jw inc we winning dont hate

Please Liar

AUTHOR: Another Ex Employee - (United States of America)

Tell me why does your fake website pretend to be affiliated and approved by the Better Business Bureau when on the real site, they claim you as non credited by them?  And I hope they aren't still sending people out late at night past 7pm risking their lives, having them walking around with money that the poor customers scammed gave to them. You do know people working with your company got robbed right? at gun point and just some some jumping them or snatching their little booklets filled with cash.

Funny they bully the workers (the more newer and naive ones) to getting only cash out of customers, and calling them broke, cussing at them when they don't make their qouta and they try to honestly, unlike the people that have been their for years who know how to trick customers by pink slipping, using their donations to buy books themselves.

I had to room with chicks that stole from me things I had before coming there. They called me broke and worthless when I didn't meet my qouta,but I was prettier,well spoken and didn't try to sell by body or lie to customers to get a sale like the ugly chicks working for them, cussing out people, that witch Mavis even threatened me. They try to mind F their newer employees into thinking that if they don't make their qouta, they are going to be humiliated later on, and they call them broke and which some are, but that company does that, prey on people with nothing, hire them and abuse them making them feel like they are lucky to be there. I was glad to leave, I have family and friends, and make honest money and have a ball with it too. I buy real purses and jewelry unlike those people shopping at flea markets after receiving their drug money and donations.

Tell Mavis and everyone else stop prostituting these people, cuz if they go to jail, get robbed or killed, you guys won't take responsibility.

This is one of the managers. http://www.facebook.com/people/Mavis-Faison/100001348817599

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Been there, done that

AUTHOR: Renee - (U.S.A.)

I worked for ISS as well. The company, itself is not a bad company to work for. The only exception is Corey Barker. He is the worst excuse for a manager, ever. He's degrading. He's a pervert. He's a liar. He's violent and abbusive. If the company cared about making honest money, they'd do it better without Corey.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

To all of those mag people

AUTHOR: Maggurl - (U.S.A.)

all i can say is that i worked for iss for some time i worked for a sub branch of the company called Element Sales Inc., i will tell you that knocking doors as we call it can be a tough job it is definitely not for everyone and thankfully i had a great manager. however in response to bruce in alabama i know kids that had to go through stuff like that i know of managers that didn't pay their kids and sometimes it led to them having to do foolish things just to get by. Regular people might say then why don't you quit? the reality of it is that more than half of the kids that sell magazines have no where to go or come from bad homes "the road" is an escape from reality...it is sad though because a lot of these managers take advantage of these kids hell some company managers beat their kids....and let me add this sometimes it is not the companies that are bad it is the managers....you see each company has little units as i like to call them and each has a manager of so many kids...you can either end up with a real jerk or a good guy but let me note there are not a lot of good guys in the business....as far as the NFSA(national field sales association) i do recall being told to tell the jones that we were apart of this, however i never had any proof so that is a big lie to....also the whole we are a member with the BBB....anyone if in business can be found on the BBB.org website so it is easy to canvas that to someone...nice selling target. oh and before i continue some might read this and say what a WAB...on here running their mouth because they were awful at the job, but let me correct you that i was actually very good at my job...and sometimes i think that is what kept my boss off my back because the better you do the better you are treated... but all in all the road is one of those jobs that i do not regret because i met some great people and the travelling was great..but i would never do it again because it is a whole life of lies and deceit....and as for the managers that may rebuttal that... whatever they are not ones going door to door in all types of weather conditions, and not to mention at all hours of the day selling the subscriptions they get to sit back at the hotel or drive you around dropping you off and send you out to pay for that nice house they have or some other materialistic possession...because remember that whatever money you make it all goes to them...all of it and that p&H crap is just a rip off so that the managers can make more bank in their pocket....so therefore, mag agents are like in away indentured servants....the poor man makes the rich man richer...and as for corey barker he should be punished there are a lot of kids that have been beat up and left because they were not up to par.....to all of the people that encounter these agents just to let you know that bruce is right you don't need to buy a magazine from them maybe offer them some food or better yet ask them if they need help getting home because a lot of mag kids are too scared to let their managers know they are thinking about leaving so please help if you can....and good luck to all of those who stick with it i could only do it for 5 years and that was 5 years too many....

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

So I was reading through this & i joined the mag crew in May-June 07, I only stayed till the 4th of July. My boyfriend & I joined together, cause I was a 21 yr old girl & i didn't feel safe going by myself to that sorta thing. Pretty soon we caught on that they are conman...not in the sense that people didn't get the mags, cause I sent some home, but in the since that they con young people. They want you to work long hours, & say whatever it is you need to say...to get that sale. They give you a packet as soon as you get there to study, so you have your wording right. The more you sell, the more they like you. If you try to go against the rules or not be apart of the group, your treated different. My pap had 2 stroke, it took my family almost 2 days to even tell me...I can remember is as if it were yesterday, I was in Missouri, we were on our way to another jump(next destination) I was riding with Becky Britian, in Corey's BMW...yeah what manager drives a BLACK BMW...of course Corey Barker lol. So anyways I finally get the call at 11 pm. I'm pretty upset, cause my grandparents raised me, they acted as if it was not a huge deal, people die all the time. Ok, thats fine act like that...its not your Grandfather. Then it got to the point where they told me to shut up about it, cause I would cry about it. One night I got fed up & decided that I had, had enough. I talked to my bf, & then to 2 of our other friends & we all decided we needed to leave, so we go into the Office & talk to Corey, but he pretty much already knew we planning on leaving...don't trust most of the people on the team, they all run their mouths to Corey. We were told to pack, so we did. They left all 4 of us at a bus station at 9 am. They said they;d be back with money for the tickets...I started to feel a lil fishy about this...starting asking the bus station guys when they closed...they closed at 6. The last bus came in at 7, I figured out early on in the day that they weren't coming back, they were just going to leave us there, in Arkansas, far away from Wheeling, WV...where I was from. So I start calling my family, then call the lady I had talked to before choosing this job & she assured me, they were coming back. They NEVER came back, they were going to leave us there. I started calling Cindy a lot...& then had my Mom call her. Finally at 6 we found out they we were getting on the bus...they ordered the tickets over the phone...the cowards. After 32 hours on a greyhound bus, I finally came home. I'm not saying all door to door salesman are bad people, I most certainly am not. I'm a 22 yr old girl, who comes from not a rich family, but not a poor family. I thought i'd be making money & traveling with my bf. I never deceived people, nor stole anything from anyone. I'm writing this so hopefully maybe someone reads this & doesn't let their child go...these people don't care about your child...or you. They only care about themselves.

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

My story of how it all happened

AUTHOR: Ex-untouchable - (U.S.A.)

Every thing you've read about the I.S.S. is true. i worked with them once in Dec of 07 to Jan of 08. My First day there was exciting i met kids who were from different states of the U.S. i was introduced to the Managers Corey, Brian, Jimmy, Jeff, Harry and their crews. the first night i was told i had to memorize the First Five and Nine Point Close. The second day we woke up at 6:30am had morning meeting at 7am. We (the kids selling for them) introduced our selves; name, hometown, age, zodiac sign and one thing about ourself as well as our high day and high week (which was the day and week we sold the most magazine).

the managers would come in we would shout "manager Hooo" The Managers would call out the names of those who broke their quota and to divide us into vehicles; surburbans, yukons, minivans, 15 passenger vans, and honda accords. one person in each vehicle would be picked to drive us to our spots known as "our T (territory)". we would be dropped off in a neighborhood knock on each door give our spill and make sure they buy a magazine. I thought it was rude that we stood there at their door trying to convince the "jones" to buy a magazine when he/she said NO more than 3 times. We would have five Drops which were an hour long and sometimes an hour and a half. at the end of the day we would all cram in the vehicle do our check in so that we would be able to go to sleep as soon as we got back to the hotel/motel. the crews would have their own meeting to talk about the day and how well/poor we did. at the end of the day when check in was finished the manager would hand us $20 to buy dinner for that night or breakfast the next day. my quota was to sell 6 magazines and it would go up 1 after two weeks..i would sometimes meet my quota or more and sometimes i wouldn't. either way i always recieved $20 for that day.

The company would bribe us with vacations, banquets and a promise of $500 and a trip to Rome italy or Paris if we won the Contest. i worked with becky Britian, who is known for winning the contest 3 years in a row which means she won 6 contests. the contests were 6 months long Jan-June Jul-Dec. when i was recruited i was told i joined just in time because we were going to South Padre Islands for Christmas Vacation. i asked if we were able to go home and spend cristmas with our family their response "yea if your family buys your ticket there and back". i figured ok alright its only fair what ever. christmas came around i stayed with with the groups.
"staying in a condo by the beach was an opportunity i wouldn't want to miss because i knew i would never have that opportunity to do that with my family. so i stayed."
ok back to working with Becy. when i asked her "so where did you go Rome Italy or Paris?" she looked at me like i was crazy until she remembered "oh yea i went to Rome with corey we had a great time". Becky isn't the smartest crayon there she was a bit of an airhead so i could see right through her lies.

In jan 08 my friend/co worker sprained her ankle badly. we called our manager Jeff and told him what had happened to her. he said "well can she at least walk?" i said "yes but she's in pain" and she was. she was lying there on the ground crying and holding her leg. she was afraid to get up. jeff said "well i want the two of you to knock doors until i get there" what kind of employer would do that to his workers. so he finally cam 30 mins later pickup us up. our other friends/ co workers were concerned for her and all he cared about was weither or not she would be able to work or not. my friend who sprained her ankle was one of his hard workers who always brought in cash orders which is what he liked about her. the next day we woke up to get ready and she asked me to ask him if she had to work today because she was in a lot of pain and all he said was "well i'll get her an ankle wrap and some aspirin. she better be up and ready like the rest of us" i walked back to my room and she was sitting at the edge of the bed in pain telling me "OMG i don't wanna get up. it hurts so bad. i put little pressure on it and it hurts too much" Guys weren't allowed in our room, if they were they'd be fined $500. a few of the guys from the other crew that we were pretty close with were standing at the door talkin to her telling her "you shouldn't work today. you have to stay off that leg" she cried as she walked into the bathroom, down the hallway on our way to morning meeting and as we walked door to door.
She was never given the chance to be compensated for her injury. our manager wouldn't let her stay at the hotel. she never had it taken care of by a doctor because we worked 6 days a week and spent our days off driving into a different city. we did our laundry after working a long stressful day.

W.A.B
which is abbrieviation used to label kids who left to go home because they saw the whole job for what it really was "a joke/ fraud". In the begginning before joining the companys magazine crews. the recruters told who ever called about the add. they would be trained for two weeks and at the end of two weeks they'll recieve $500 and if they decide they don't like the job they would buy their bus ticket home. which is FALSE. i've known many young adults who were left stranded at the bus station. and before being taken to the bus station the other kids would treat them in a rude manner saying "wat are you still doing here you W.A.B. walk your butt home what makes you think our manger want to waste our gas just to take your sorry butt home"

we've had days where we didnt sell very much and our manager would be so mad he would kick us out of the car and make us walk back to the motel/hotel and threaten us by saying he will not pay us for that day because he feels we didn't deserve it.

we've been told by many that our job was a scam. but we didn't listen or believe them because our manager would have a rebuddle to everything. he would say ask them how much they make an hour and what is is they do. and you tell me if their job is a scam or not.

Yes there has been moments when a few of the girls and myself would cry because of the verbal and mental abuse he put us through and the days we weren't selling very many magazines. when we blanked (sold no magazines at all) on a drop we would be so scared to get in the vehicle because we didn't want to be called stupid or have him yell at all of us. i once knocked on a door and in the middle of giving my spill my co worker and i started crying and the owner of the house invited us in and offerred me a drink and i spoke to him about everything. He said "well the whole thing sounds like a scam to me. sweety why don't you go home i'm sure your family misses you. i can't buy a magazine from you but i can help you out with this" the stranger gave me $100 so that i could purchase a bus ticket home. i took the money and bought a magazine subscription with it..how stupid of me to do so. i broke the bill at a store. and stayed with them until the 14th of January. my family bought the ticket themselves so that i would come home.

i don't regret working for them because i met the greatest and most interested kids my age. where i come from kids my age or rude and very disrespectful.

#11 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Response to brain washed agent and customer who bought magazines

AUTHOR: Victoria - (U.S.A.)

To Bruce of Lake Havasu Alabama. There has never been a sales team with I.S.S named Millenium Sales. So you have the wrong Company. How about some proof ? A 1099 form, A contest standing with your name on it? Anything? You may want to be sure of the facts before you make a claim. There are alot of magazine companies out there. We are in good standing with the B.B.B We are members of N.F.S.A (National Field Selling Association) I have been in this business for 21 years.I was hired out of Kentucky at 22.

I did work hard,some long hours ocassionally.But I also made alot of money,I had tons of fun,I got to do and see what most may never get to do in a life time let alone for a job.No it is not for every one, but for those that it is right for, it can be the best thing that ever happens to them.I know it was for me. I have been to many beautiful places and met alot of wonderful people. It is how I met my husband. Not only do we hire other peoples kids to sell but our own childern have worked or do work for our company. My step son was on the road for years, worked his way up,ran his own sales team,met his wife. Our 20 year old son is out on the road now.And our 16 year old works in our office answering phones,Which takes me to Bobby in Oregon, I am sorry if it was one of our persons that lied to you concerning the cancelation policy.

I will tell you we have since made some company changes in order to protect our customers and to secur that we are a reputible business. We now have a verfiction line that every magazine sold in the field is verified by one of our operators. The sales agent calls the toll free number, then they put the customer on the phone and the operator then goes through a series of Questions to make sure of the magazine they are buying, how many issues,and the total cost. They are then informed that this program is not sponsored by any schools or does not offer any scholarships.That if for any reason (including cancelling) the order is not processed ,the agent does not receive any points.

This verification process insures that the customer is getting the exact magazine they ordered, so the sales person cannot misrepresent anything in any way. The results from this new program is wonderful.Not only have we weeded out undesirables who lie and scam the customer.But the customer is protected, we have built confidence in our customers and in our company. We are the only company in this industry who is doing this.It is exspensive.But well worth the results.Exspecailly with all the scam companies out there in this industry.Unfortunitly we are all lumped together.Our hope is over time our record will speak for its self.And the fly by night companies will be gone.Our company has been around for a long time.We are the best in this industry.And will continue to strive to be the best, to ensure our customers are getting what they paid for without being lied to.

We value each and every person who has ever helped one of our sales people.And now we are confident that the qaulity of our sales persons are the best and honest.They have no way around it.Every receipt must have a verfication code on it, or it is not excepted.And there is no way for the agent to make up the codes. For any of our customers who would like, may visit our web site at www.intersubserv.com ther is info about the incentive programs we run,the contest standings, cancelation policys ect. Thanks for your time, Sincerly Victoria

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Organized Slavery

AUTHOR: Bruce - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for a branch of ISS called millenium sales. i read a help wanted add in the paper that said "cool travel job" so i called. three days later i was on a bus. to what i thought was going to be a great oppertunity. the first day or two went ok. but then the slavery set in. first was the brain washing of what they call there first five. they not only made you memorize it but live by it. repeating it time and time again day after day after day. our days started at 530 am when we all woke up then it was off for coffee. followed by what they called morning meeting. AKA Brain washing. after the meeting we went to breakfast most of the kids couldnt rub two pennys together. they gave us 15 dollars a day to live off of. after supper the night before and a pack of cig's most of the kids couldnt afford breakfast or lunch. so we got sent out starving. we traveled in 15 passenger vans usually craming up to 20 kids in them. they would pick out a neighbourhood like a hawk. then someones name would be called out they would drop us off and give us a time they would be back and where to meet them. it was usually about two hours. this all started at about 11 am we would usually have 5 "drops" bringing our day to an end at about 9. then after the last drop we would have to drive back to the motel. it was usually about 10 pm by the time we got back. then we had to do turn in. which was giving them the money for the magazines we sold. turn in was usually over at about 11 to quarter after 11. then if you werent able to get 5 people to help you and buy a mag. you had to go to what they call under 5 meeting. which usually started at midnight. it was about 1 am when the meeting was over. then it was off to your room where they crammed up to 5 of us in a room which ment that 3 of us would have to sleep on the hard floor. by the time you got settled in and ready for bed it was almost 2 am. your feet ached from walking non stop for 10 hours a day every day. your nuckles were sore from having to knock on doors all day long. i got athleats foot while i worked for them but off 15 dollars a day i couldnt afford new socks. shoes. not even anything to put on them to get rid of the athleats foot. my feet started to fall apart skin was comming off in sheets. it burned to walk . but it got no attention. i told the boss. and he said work or get left behind. so i had to keep going. they would have left me in some town thousands of miles from home if i didn't no money. not knowing anyone.sundays were supposed to be our days off. but when we woke up sunday morning we would have to pack our stuff. then load it into trailers. then thy would cram about 20 of us in a 15 passenger van and set off for the next town.driving all day and all night. no way to get comfortable and sleep. when they stopped for gas. we would all try and get out and streatch. but not having any money we couldnt eat. usually monday morning we would pull into a differnt town most times a different state. we would get our rooms about 9 am unload all of our stuff then be expected to get ready to go to work. no sleep no food. not a sign of energy. just exausted but we couldnt say anything or we would get left behind. if we didnt sell we didnt get paid. it might only be 15 dollars a day. but our lives depended on it. so next time you have a kid knock on your door. dont slam it in their face. yuo dont need to buy a magazine if you dont want. but maybe you could offer him or her something to drink. or a bite to eat or maybe give him or her a dollar or two. its not alot of money but it means alot to them. believe me they will be thankfull. you might have just saved them from starving for another day. i can only hope that someone reads this and understands what i had to go through. and i would like to thank a very wonderful lady who lives in pacifica california. i knocked on her door one day. she didnt buy a magazine but she gave me 10 dollars. it wasnt much money to her but it ment food for me i hadnt eaten in two days. i will never forget her.