Complaint Review: Inventech

• Submitted: Sat, July 28, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, August 11, 2007

• Reported By:Dartmouth Nova Scotia
Inventech
2655 Lejeune Road Coral Gables Fla. Coal Gables, Florida U.S.A.

Inventech Worried about my idea Coal Gables Florida

*Consumer Comment: My two cents

*Consumer Comment: Patents are expensive, and I have gathered here that Inventech promises more than they can deliver

Well I don't know what to think now. I have been in touch with these people and was ready to sned one of my ideas to them.
I'm not so sure after reading these reports. Thay have sent me a package to use to send my idea to them.
I have been through the patent process on another project. The amounts of money were huge. This was done with a patent attorney and his firm. After the fact one of the people that worked on our project went to another firm and called to tell us that we had paid too much as the owner was supposedly billing us for his time at the higher rate. That this work was done by him.
I guess I'm just looking to see if this is a diferent way to bring a product to market. As some have said it is still doable by yourself.

East coast blues
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/28/2007 08:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Inventech/Coal-Gables-Florida-33134/Inventech-Worried-about-my-idea-Coal-Gables-Florida-263800. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Inventech

My two cents

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

The old IP attorney, if he was in fact a patent attorney (there is a special Bar for patent lawyers), did not need his work reviewed. Even if he did, the reporter shouldn't have been billed at the senior attorney's rate for the entire matter, just for the review, which should be a relatively small fraction of the overall time spent on the matter.

To the reporter: if you have a viable and creative invention or improvement to an existing invention, I wouldn't recommend trying to DIY. Just find a reasonably priced patent attorney, and check with your state's bar to see what his standing and disciplniary history is like.

In all reality, you probably could do all of the work yourself. In all reality, there's not much that lawyers do that normal people can't do themselves, and I say that as a practicing attorney. The question is this: do you want to do it yourself, VERY possibly screw it up, and then have to hire an attorney to fix your mess, or would you rather have an attorney right out of the gate (FYI: it's cheaper to do it right the first time than to have to come back and fix any errors, with or without an attorney)? If the attorney louses up your case, you can hold him accountable and sue him for malpractice. If you louse up your own case, you can try to sue yourself for malpractice, but I don't think it would do you much good.

Best of luck with the invention!

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

...so your previous IP attorney (may have) billed you at his rate for work done by an underling? This surprises you? The IP must review and validate all of his underlings work, no?

And WHY "After the fact (did) one of the people (who) worked on (your) project (and then) went to another firm (call) to tell (you) that (you) had paid too much as the owner was supposedly billing (you) for (the owner's) time at (the owner's) higher rate. That this work was (actually) done by (the underling)." Doesn't this sound REALLY disloyal?

Face it: Lawyers are money machines.

Your objective is to obtain a *defendable* and *enforceable* patent. Not to police the patent industry.