likes

• Updated: Mon, July 30, 2012

• Reported By: Inventor — Saint Peters Missouri United States of America
InventionHome
275 Center Road, Suite 105 Monroeville, Pennsylvania United States of America

InventionHome inventionhome.com, Jacob Enterprises Patent Search Ripoff - missed more than half of relevant patents I found myself Monroeville, Pennsylvania

*Author of original report: update by author

*Author of original report: update on this matter

I had a product I wanted to patent so I could sell it. I did some research online and found a few similar patents. I wanted a professional search done, to cover all the relevant patents, so I would know exactly what other products in this field had already been patented.

After reading many reviews of other inventor-marketed companies, I contacted inventionhome.com since they seemed the "least bad". They offered me a patent search for $399 to begin the process.

I was aware that most patent attorneys charge around $1000 for a patent search, so I thought I was getting a good deal.

I paid my $399, and within a couple days they sent me an email listing all the patents that matched my idea. To my disappointment, they had only found five relevant patents. With my own search using google patents, I had found seven others by myself, for free. Only one patent was duplicated in both my list and their list.

I was expecting a comprehensive list of patents, not a short list I could have created myself with ten minutes of internet usage.

I told them that I had found other patents, and they said the ones in their list were the most relevant. This was completely untrue, as the patents I had found, that they had missed, were all very similar to the ones they found. In fact, one of the patents that I found, that they did not find, was an expired patent for the same idea. This expired patent placed the product into the public domain, where anyone could now use it.

They missed this very important patent, which makes the whole process of patenting this product useless.

Since they actually provided the service, I am unable to reverse the charges on my credit card. So I paid them $400 for incomplete information. Had I relied on their information alone, I would be filling out a patent application right now, and wasting years in the process, on a product already in the public domain. Their patent search was misleading and incomplete.

They just want people to purchase their assistance in filing patents, it does not matter if the idea has already been patented or is in public domain. Beware.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/24/2012 12:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/InventionHome/Monroeville-Pennsylvania-15146/InventionHome-inventionhomecom-Jacob-Enterprises-Patent-Search-Ripoff-missed-more-than-916716. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on InventionHome

update by author

AUTHOR: Inventor - (United States of America)

I discussed this situation with representatives of the company,  and they have resolved my complaint to my satisfaction. They were very professional and polite. I am confident they will prevent this issue in the future.

update on this matter

AUTHOR: Inventor - (United States of America)

After some discussion with the company, we have resolved the problem. They were very professional and polite and happy to address my complaint.

I'm confident they will not have similar issues in the future.