Complaint Review: Island Estates BP

• Reported By: Anonymous — Clearwater Florida
Island Estates BP
50 Island Way Clearwater, FL 33767 , Select State/Province USA

Island Estates BP Overcharges overcharges overcharges Clearwater Beach FLORIDA

I contacted Steve on a Saturday morning and asked if they could install a belt on my car that I had previously purchased. He said bring the car to him an he could give me an estimate. The belt that was broken drove the alternator, water pump and power steering. The short drive was just enough not to overheat the car.

He looked at the car and my situation and told me there was a tensioner pulley "missing" and the total to repair would be 288.00. I knew the amount was excessive from the beginning but needed the car fixed. It was an saturday after all.

I signed a form that if the repair was to exceed 290.00 that they would call me. Later that afternoon I was contacted and was informed that the repair was 320.00 because of some "special" pulleys (2) that had to be installed in place of the tensioner. When I arrived the total was now 370.00. This is totally against Florida Statutes and I am reporting him to the state as well. I honestly believe there was nothing "missing" (tensioner) and the "special" pulleys were a figment of an imaginative ripoff repair shop.

Here is the rundown...

1 tensioner $140... avail locally to me for $40

total to install my belt plus tensioner 288.00

2 "special" pulleys at 68.00 each. avail 15.00 locally

New "shorter" belt installed 71.00 avail locally 37.00. I could take mine back to NAPA

Labor 1.5 hours 135.00

Total now instead of 320.00 is 370.00 take it or leave it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2013 02:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Island-Estates-BP/Select-StateProvince/Island-Estates-BP-Overcharges-overcharges-overcharges-Clearwater-Beach-FLORIDA-1084543. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Island Estates BP