Complaint Review: Istvan Hertel

• Reported By: Craigers — Toronto Ontario
Istvan Hertel
Sheppard Ave E, North York North York, Ontario Canada

Istvan Hertel The god of price gouging. North York Ontario

A few months ago I had to take our family dog to the Emergency Vet as she had eaten a small amount of milk chocolate.  We called the clinic before hand and after the person that answered the phone asked the Doctor, we were advised she was on the borderline level for bad chocolate toxicity.  We rushed our beloved family pet into the clinic where she was promptly taken out back to vomit.  Dr. Hertel came into the waiting room shortly after and asked us how long it had been since she ate the chocolate to which I responded about 30 minutes.  He went into the back and soon we heard our dog wretching away followed by the sounds of encouragement from the people in the back room.

Dr. Hertel appeared in the waiting room shortly after and said that she had vomitted up some chocolate and nothing more was coming up.  Then, he went on to say that he would like to keep our dog overnight at the clinic to monitor her, put her on IV fluids and run blood tests.  As this is not the first time I've had this issue with a Dog, I was unfamiliar with this extended treatment that was introduced to me.  I asked Dr. Hertel how much this would cost and he told me in the general area of $1200!  I asked why all of these things were necessary and he started to trip over his own words while explaining his reasonings.  I then mentioned that I have had this problem with Dogs in the past and this type of treatment was offered before and he suddenly changed his tone, cleared his offer from the table and told us to wait and our Dog would be out shortly.

We payed for the 60 minutes of treatment our Dog recieved that night and left.  The next day I called our Vet and inquired about the additional treatment that was offered to us and we were told that under extreme circumstance those options would be offered.  When I explained that Dr. Hertel knew exactly how much milk chocolate our Dog ate and that it was only eaten in a time frame of 30 minutes from ingestion to being vomitted out, our Vet said that no further treatment would have been necessary.  Just for comparison, I thought I would cold call a few other area Vets and see what they said, and they all said the same thing as what my Vet told me.

A friend of a friend contacted me the other night and told me that she too had a similar run in with Dr. Hertel recently.  So I'm more than certain that there are others out there that have been gouged or an attempt was made to have their bank account sucked dry by Dr. Hertel.  Which brings me here.  Don't let this man trick talk you into more than what's needed to put your pet back into good health!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2013 11:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Istvan-Hertel/North-York-Ontario/Istvan-Hertel-The-god-of-price-gouging-North-York-Ontario-1047977. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Istvan Hertel