Complaint Review: J & L Distributing - Kirby Vacuum

• Submitted: Sun, October 03, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, March 31, 2009

• Reported By:reno Nevada
J & L Distributing - Kirby Vacuum
1757 Silverada Blvd Reno, Nevada U.S.A.

J & L Distributing - Kirby Vacuum ripoff lying cheating wasting people's time & money Reno Nevada

*Consumer Comment: Confirming the base salary Gaurantee offer...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: nothing but a glorified responce due to reputation damage

*UPDATE Employee: Kirby Isn't All Bad

*Consumer Comment: Seemed Really Cheezy!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: opportunity is often disguised as work

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: That is SO true

J & L distributing here in Reno, Nevada are a bunch of manipulating scam artists. They place ads in the local paper gaurenteeing $1400 a month to work for them and when I first started they told me that it was the base pay, but there was a potential to make much more than that. I came to find out by the second week (nine days of working there) that none of the promises they had made were going to come true, after the owner of this independent distributor claimed quote: "You are full of it.

I never told you that there was a base pay, and you are not going to get the prize money you won either." When I went in for the initial interview, there were several other people there and we were interviewed and hired all at once. They made promises to everyone and held little contests during our training for prizes that were supposed to be included in our first paychecks. (I won a $500.00 prize that I never recieved for memorizing their sales cliches.) They had told us initially that there would be no selling, but on the fourth day they turned around and gave us the kirby vaccum to take home for the weekend and show to friends and family to try to make our first sales.

They manipulated everyone into thinking that they were going to make big bucks by that time and most of us still stuck around. The following week they told us that we all earned a position they called "canvassers". The canvassers job is to go door to door and pass out flyers on the Kirby to unsuspecting homes and try to talk their way into the home to do a demonstration with the sales person who drives them around. We were told then that we would make $100 per vaccum we actually sold. I was getting very wary of the job, and my family kept telling me that it was all a scam. I decided to try and stick around until payday. The sales people who drove us around were also very pushy and manipulative, and two days before payday a certain sales person went too far with me and I decided to quit.

I phoned in to the boss that day and told him I wouldn't be working there anymore. Two days later, on payday, I called the boss to see if my paycheck was ready and that's when they denied everything. One of my bosses said quote: "I know we owe you money, but just try and get it." They denied me earning the prize money and said that they had given me $10.00 for winning (which is a lie, I never recieved any money)and that they had people willing to say they saw it. They denied that I made any sales and told me not to call any more. I tried to contact the main distributor for Kirby about the problem, but they were equally unhelpful and manipulative.

During the duration of employment there, they tricked everyone into signing contracts saying basically that we were our own independant dealer, but at the time, they said that part wasn't relavant because I was going to be a canvasser and not a dealer. I am afraid to take this to court and I think it'd be a waste of my time and money because they are so good at the scam they are running. I would like the media to do a story on them though, because they run ads in our local paper all the time, forever seeking more naive young people to scam.

If you are even thinking of going to work for J & L Distributing, don't!

Andrew
reno, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2004 05:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/J-L-Distributing-Kirby-Vacuum/Reno-Nevada-89512/J-L-Distributing-Kirby-Vacuum-ripoff-lying-cheating-wasting-peoples-time-money-Reno-111262. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on J & L Distributing - Kirby Vacuum

Confirming the base salary Gaurantee offer...

AUTHOR: The Patriot Miner - (U.S.A.)

Hey - just so you know, we just had a "30 yr" kirby veteran rep pitch us and also offered up to my son and his friend to come work for Kirby through J & L Distributing and earn a minimum base salary!!! It is true - my wife and these two boys were all there!

Recommend everyone read my article on "Unauthorized Credit Checking" by J & L Dist.

After he pitched us for an $1800 Kirby - we declined to purchase; my wife had begun to complete a credit application but did not finish - she was waiting for me to get home. I expressly told the rep that under no circumstances would I finance anything. Guess what? He took the incomplete application and ran my credit anyway!!!!!!!!!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

nothing but a glorified responce due to reputation damage

AUTHOR: Justice - (U.S.A.)

this letter was an attempt by the the owner and by direction of the owner of J&L. i witnessed this conversation the owner was told about this site and the negative remarks on it his response to this was to post a positive remark on all the site and blogs you can find. this person asked like what the owner said he did not care make something up if you have to I cant afford to lose potential employees over these kind of forums.With that said some of what you read is truth how ever over glorified it is. but all the post you see here about employee recruitment is true like the refinance to post Report: #111262 this is about this very same distributer i refinance IN THIS POST the post is 100% ACCURATE the company policies is to be as vague as possible in the employment add. They will not post what the job is if you ask they beat around the bush and if that don,t work they tell you they will fill you in in the inter view they never do.I wans asked why they offered the base salary of 2.000.00 a month base pay when base pay has no strings attached to it and why the demo count was so high 72 under this distributer I said that is over 2 demos a day and would be tough for any one to ac heave and was told that they never intend to pay it that is why the demo count was so high they think out of 72 demos you should be able to sell enough kirbys to make more than the base pay then if you don't sell enough they hit you with let me see your demo log book to see if you made your 72 count for that month if you did not then there is no base pay.You just worked for free at no pay because you signed a 1099 form with is a scam its self.to benefit the company only by tax laws and compensation of medical benefits

Kirby Isn't All Bad

AUTHOR: Kirby Guy - (U.S.A.)

I just read every single posting in this forum. So here is my two cents.

I have been working with the Kirby company for 4 years and 2 months. I started as a door-to-door sells man (Dealer) and was promoted to manager (Team Leader) during my second year.

I am on honest person with morals and values. I do not agree with any high pressure sells techniques, and I have seen high pressure situations during some Kirby demonstrations. That doesn't mean that every Kirby representative uses high pressure techniques. I do NOT.

I've never made $100k in a year. However Kirby has given me an opportunity to provide a comfortable lifestyle for my family.

I am an example of someone who really buckled down and learned to become an honest sells person. I can say with a clear continence that I have satisfied every customer complaint, and personally attended to every cancellation.

I do work 10-14 hour days 6 days a week. For that amount of work my team of sells people (Crew) and I are compensated with an average yearly income of between $40k to $55k each, and we consistently win 1 to 3 vacations each year. The vacations are 4 days long and usually to somewhere like Tahoe, Las Vegas, Monterey Bay, or San Francisco.

I do work on commission. I have no salary or base pay. When I started they didn't have any kind of $2000 guarantee based on doing 60 demos in a 30 day period or any of that. I was just nave enough to buy into working on commission. My trainer tolled me that working on an hourly basis was a rip-off because no matter how hard I worked during that hour I would only make the hourly wage. That made sense to me for some reason.

I did answer an employment ad in the newspaper that was so blind two seeing-eye-dogs show up with me to the interview. lol

I was young (20) at the time and it seemed great. I just listened to everything like Forest Gump would have. I didn't question anything because no body I knew had anything bad to say about it.

I have met some really great people in this business. Some that have made $100k or more in a year doing this. It is possible. Maybe the reason I haven't done it yet is because my number one priority is to stay right with God, and my number two priority is to my wife and daughter. Then comes my career and crew.

There are some Kirby dealers, managers, and distributors that are unscrupulous. I have met them. They make a lot of money and have empty personalities. I believe that the reason there is so much anti-Kirby talk going around is because of this unscrupulous minority.

When someone has a great Kirby experience with an honest sales person they don't go online to write about it in a forum. However when someone has a bad experience they are motivated to do so. This forum is proof of that. Just like any business, it's not the profession it's the person.

I have to believe that the majority of Kirby/Customer interactions are positive and professional whether they end in a sale or not. These positive interactions just never get recognized because that is the way it is supposed to be. That is what is expected. The only time someone makes a report or blog about something is when it seems, out of the ordinary or weird.

I just thought everyone would like to know that there is another side to the business, and if you like the product, you can find honest people to sell to you.

Seemed Really Cheezy!

AUTHOR: Faard2001 - (U.S.A.)

I just had an interview with J&L Distribution in Reno, Nevada this morning. Turns out they were Kirby Vacuums in disguise! When I called for the interview they said it would be setting up appliances in customers' homes The first red flag was how many candidates showed up at the same time I was scheduled for. The office was very stark and ghetto fabulous. Cameron, the manager, was a fast talker in a cheap suit with pink shirt and tie. During our less than ten minute interview he did not even look at my cover letter and resume, nor bat a lash when I told him of my college education. The rest of the applicants looked like they were playing hooky from high school. Several times he was distracted from my seemingly annoying probing questions as a buxom blonde walked by his office window! He mentioned many different products, but the whole office was actually Kirby Vacuums. The experience was very amateur and cheesy. My gut feelings immediately told me that this place reeked of dishonesty. They promise $2,000 a month salary, but after reading all these posts, I am sure that includes way more than 40 hours a week. Sounds like the whole pay scale is the old bait and switch technique. As I drove away they were loading up the white vans with vacuums and young sucker employees. This guy is no spring chicken that fell off the turnip truck yesterday! I am so glad I found this and read about all the scams they pull on their customers and employees. I was just typing "Kirby Vacuums" into Google and immediately "Scams" popped up after the name! Thousands of hits and links under that should tell you something...

Thanks everyone, especially the trash talking Kirby reps that exposed their selves as bitter shysters. Go try Amway or Vector Knives next!

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

opportunity is often disguised as work

AUTHOR: Billy - (U.S.A.)

For all of those who reported above and for those reading the report. I worked in that office for about 5 years I received every paycheck that I was supposed to get. I do understand how the hiring works and agree that they don't tell you everything during the interview. But really if you think about it does any job tell you everything. If a company told you that you would be part of a door to door operation and that you'd be working 9+ hours a day, 95% of Americans wouldn't give the opportunity a chance. Working for Jeff at J&L was one of the best things to happen to me. The owner Jeff never once lied to me, in fact he was brutally honest with me the whole time. He always pushed me to do even better the next month. FYI for those reading this, this is the first company that I ever made over 100K in one year with. Now is this a company that would be great for everyone? No, most people do not have the mental strength and passion in their goals to truly achieve them.

For the "girl" who made the statement saying that J&L gave the wrong number and is a company moving across the country. First off, that number hasn't changed in over 10 years. secondly Jeff bought that building back in 1999 and still currently uses it. They do have multiple offices but that's a company growing, not being like gypsies like she implied. The statement about "one of the owners hitting on you". Well there's only one owner, it was probably one of the sales guys and you can't blame a guy for trying.

Please remember that people tend to hear what they want to hear. When they don't get what they want they like to cry on every shoulder possible. The Internet has provide a large shoulder. If you want a true shot at success get a Job with Kirby, you'll work hard and if you work smart you'll make plenty of money.

AUTHOR: Leah - (U.S.A.)

The company I work for is in the same business park as J & L. We constantly have thier interviewees coming into our store thiking that we are the ones interviewing them. I give them directions to the other side of the building, since the J & L never gives them anymore than an address. We have suite numbers and are the only company in the business park with a sign above the door.

There have been a few instances wich I have had direct contact with the owners of this company. I have called them for a potential interviewer asking a question, the man on the other end asks me not to tell the interviwee that they are really selling vacums. That if the person knew that he would not come in for the interview. Then he procedded to hit on me. Telling me that he has seem me walking around getting the mail and he wanted me to come over and say "Hi" to him sometime. That is tottaly uncalled for and most of all bad business practice.

We have also been getting phone calls from J & L's potential hires inquiring about interview times. They have been giving out our business phone saying it was thiers.

We looked them up online to see what we could find out about them. That is when we came across this web site. I thought that they might be a chain but I reacall the one I talked to on the phone mentioning that he just moved here from Nevada.

My take on this is that they are moving around the U.S. scamming as many people as they can, then moving on.

I have printed out copys of the original complaint about them and am handing it out to the lost interviewers that wander in here in hops they do not fall for the same thing.

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Michele - (U.S.A.)

They know the bad reputation Kirby has, and the ads are so misleading! When I called them the man I talked to said they are a "distributor of home appliances" so I asked "like, washing machines and stuff?" and he said "yeah!" and I believed they could really teach me how to make all that money he claimed. You are totally right never work there it's lame. They have a good product but they hire all the wrong people.

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds