Complaint Review: J. MICHAEL KELLY Attorney

• Submitted: Sun, December 17, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, December 18, 2010

• Reported By:Los Angeles California
J. MICHAEL KELLY Attorney
429 Santa Monica Blvd. Suite 120 Santa Monica, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 310-393 0236
  • Web:
  • Category: Lawyers

J. MICHAEL KELLY Attorney An INCOMPETENT SWINDLER with his paralegal HOWARD KAISER an EQUALLY GREEDY and INCOMPETENT CROOKS Santa Monica California

*Consumer Comment: Ripped me off too

*Consumer Comment: Kelly's Rebuttal to this Post is the Most Time He has Taken To Address a Clients' Concern

*Consumer Comment: it is so important

*Consumer Comment: Observations

*Consumer Suggestion: Victims of J. Michael Kelly UNITE! by calling 310 543-9965

*Consumer Comment: I CAN'T AEE ANY EVIDENCE OF LEGAL WRONG DOING HERE...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Preliminary Rebuttal by the Law Offices of J. Michael Kelly

*Consumer Comment: Will email me please! I need to talk to you about Michael Kelly! I beat him in court!

*Consumer Comment: Michael Kelly ripped me off also!

*Consumer Suggestion: State Bar Options

J. MICHAEL KELLY a crook and a thief attorney located at 429 Santa Monica Blvd. suite 120, Santa Monica 90401 USA. J. MICHAEL KELLY is an incompetent and confuse attorney because of his poor memory and HOWARD KAISER his paralegal an equally greedy and incompetent pair of crooks, dishonest from the first minute you enter their office they will take your retainer and promise you the best legal advice. This is a complete lie! They will ask you to sign a Legal Service Agreement which is normal with all attorneys except J. MICHAEL KELLY and his side-kick dedicates 3 of his 7 page agreement to the possibilities of any future disputes in which if you want to sue them for incompetence and get your money back you have to go through the slow process of Binding Arbitration. MY ADVICE DON'T SIGN ANY AGREEMENT WITH J. MICHAEL KELLY better yet shop and check with other attorneys believe me you will find good honest attorneys in Los Angeles DON'T HIRE J. MICHAEL KELLY he will give you the run around for months and never completes a simple OSC and when you pressure them then they turn around and offered you another legal maneuver then mail you a bill with inflated rates and legal cost and ask you for more money.

If you like to contact me I will be glad to give you all details from the first day until today I have all records and I don't plan to let him get away until he returns all my money.

J. MICHAEL KELLY also has a disciplinary actions against him recorded in State Bar of California you can check public reproval/with duties 99-O-10375 from 2000. For negligence and greed. And if you check the attorney who represented him in this hearing of Mar 1, 2000, you will find an unbelievable repeated disciplinary offender with a long record of disciplinary actions. All crooks stick together.

I retain J. MICHAEL KELLY for $390 per hour to help me settle a custody dispute of my young daughter with my ex-wife, I was already done from a previous attorney when I come to him then J. MICHAEL KELLY and HOWARD KAISER cleverly called my last attorney a monkey for not getting me Joint Custody (the last attorney did a good job I just didn't not like her bossy attitude) J. MICHAEL KELLY trick me into thinking that he can get me Joint legal custody. From the date I retain this crook June 13, 2004, then pass July, August, September, October, November never prepared the OSC and his office always giving me the run around then finally in early December 2004 I started panicking because I normally travel every year to Moscow to visit my Daughter as per previous court order and these pair of con artists continuing giving me the run around, to make the story short they never prepared my OSC and got some useless court order for the ex-wife not to harass me in Moscow which I was already in Moscow and ready for return to Los Angeles and J. MICHAEL KELLY never submitted to the courts until a week after I return from my 3 weeks visit to Moscow with my daughter. Please you tell me if I don't deserve my money back? J. MICHAEL KELLY and HOWARD Kaiser like a pair of swindlers use the law practice to rip me off and so far are getting away.

J. MICHAEL KELLY will tell you look at my website, he is definitely fooling hundreds of people with his deceiving website his website is a fraud it all false advertising he is a poser fooling consumers and sucking thousands of US dollars from naive vulnerable people seeking legal help. Don's commit the same mistake I made DO NOT HIRE THIS CROOK ATTORNEY J. MICHAEL KELLY or his paralegal HOWARD KAISER.

Will g.
Los Angeles, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/17/2006 02:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/J-MICHAEL-KELLY-Attorney/Santa-Monica-California-90029/J-MICHAEL-KELLY-Attorney-An-INCOMPETENT-SWINDLER-with-his-paralegal-HOWARD-KAISER-an-EQU-225910. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on J. MICHAEL KELLY Attorney

Ripped me off too

AUTHOR: Ruready2tapout - (U.S.A.)

I posted a report a few years ago on this website and have noticed many more complaints since. Too bad these people didn't see my report before they hired Michael Kelly. I would like to give everyone an update.

I sued Mr. Kelly in court for the money he said I owed him. We went back in forth in court because he wanted me to be the defendant because I was the one who owed the money. I told the judge however you want to do it is fine with me. So I went back as a Plaintiff and Mr. Kelly didnt even show up to court! He then files in Santa Monica civil court to gain home field advantage. In the mean time his paralegal's are trying to make offers to me to settle for about half the amount out of court. I told him that I was not interested because I want the court to see what Mr. Kelly is doing to his clients.

This time Mr. Kelly shows up to court and presents his pitiful case. I know California law better than this man who has been practicing law for over 40 years. You have 30 days after arbitration to file a court case. You can do this is small claims court and Mr. Kelly said I filed in the wrong court to begin with. Strike one! Once a case is filed in a court you can't transfer or file it in another court. Strike two! Mr. Kelly mentioned over and over that the arbitration decision in binding! Its not binding if you file within 30 days whether you show up to arbitration or not! Lets face it the arbitrator is just another lawyer. Strike three! The judge said he would get back to us with his decision. He called me the next morning and then called Mr. Kelly with a 3 way call. He laid into Mr. Kelly telling him he should know better and awarded in my favor!

A few months after I beat him in court he re-filed against me. I get a phone call from his paralegal. He said Mr. Kelly would drop the new lawsuit if I take my initial report off this website (www.ripoffreport.com) and all other negative remarks on the internet. I told him it is impossible because it is the policy of these website never to delete information once its posted. I also mentioned to him that the statue of limitations in CA is 2 years on verbal and 4 years on written contracts. I told him I will see you in court again and embarrass your boss Mr. Kelley and your firm again. Mr. Kelly did not show up to court that day! He still to this day is sending me bills even after losing in court! Let me tell you just one of his ridiculous charges on his bill. I finally get my court case after over 1 year. He wasnt even trying to get me into court and stretching out the process as long as possible. In the meantime charging me for things he wasnt even doing. When I finally get to court he doesnt show up a sends another attorney from a completely different office to continue my case. I asked him where Mr. Kelly is and he told me he was in Santa Monica court working on other cases. Mr. Kelly had the nerve to send me a bill for $500 to pay this other attorney for coming to court to continue my case.

If anyone has been a victim of Mr. Kelly and has additional information please email me at (((Redacted)))or call me at (((Redacted)))

AUTHOR: Briarrose - (U.S.A.)

Kelly's little explanation is meant to steer the blame elsewhere. I am telling you all that this attorney, and his firm, especially Mitchell Sperling, did absolutely nothing in our case except bill like crazy. He had no idea what the case was about, neither did the attorney put on the case. They switched attorneys all around, they did simply nothing for 6 months of time. Nothing at all. The worst part is their collection department, Jack, just makes calls all day long to "collect" fees, fees which are neither deserved nor earned. They double-bill. They are a bunch of idiots. Simply put.

it is so important

AUTHOR: Ripped off wife - (U.S.A.)

to make a formal complaint and document your complaints every where you can-tape record these initial meetings or all meetings with business people chronically able to cheat you and get away with it.

Lawyers are one of the few groups able to collect money up front before any services or rendered. They've outlawed contractors from accepting up front money except for special orders of materials etc. Because so many people would have the job stopped, stalled or never any work performed with cash in advance.

This lawyer's answer is a stock response knowing how few people, regardless of how much harm they have received, losses they have suffered will complain to the Bar or anywhere else. Then they have the nerve to say 'nobody else has complained' which could be just a big fat lie. Or throw out percentages of customers served and the few who are not happy. Like this lawyer did. Classic. Common behaviors-but they won't know unless you complain. Don't just eat it and throw more good money after bad to other lawyers playing the same greedy tricks.

The Better Business Bureau is another outlet for complaints against any business-whether a member or not of the BBB. They will investigate every complaint.

We need a Consumer's Union with some teeth and power behind it as people are ripped off all the time by the so called professionals and it takes some mighty effort to rectify the situation let alone recover your money for work never performed. Or lawyer work done and not done that actually hurts your case.

"They" do not make it easy for people to complain or achieve some back up or even a third party mediator without it costing the victim an arm and a leg in time, effort and costs. Throwing more good money after bad is not conducive to anyone who's suffered losses and has grievances against a business or person who has not done what they've agreed to do.

Observations

AUTHOR: APB - (United States of America)

My ex-wife just retained Mr. Kelly's firm and I've found a lot of reports like this online from frustrated ex-clients. I thought I would add my 2 cents as a self-represented opponent. First of all, I did my due diligence and checked his disciplinary file at the State Bar Association (in person - there are no details online). It explained a lot, and I would encourage anyone who is considering hiring this firm (or up against them) to check it out. You don't have to go there, you can get a copy of the file by mail for a small administrative fee (probably less than it costs to park in downtown LA!)

It's early days yet and my ex has had so many previous attorneys I don't know how long this one will last. However, in the two weeks or so that he has been retained he has shown no interest whatsoever in settling even the most tirivial of matters. All of his actions so far have (I assume) been very costly for his client, my ex-wife. For example, an ex-parte application was made and one of his attorneys appeared in court, with Mr. Kelly, just to continue our next hearing.

I'll keep you posted...

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Victims of J. Michael Kelly UNITE! by calling 310 543-9965

AUTHOR: Andre Deloje - (U.S.A.)

I will organize a March infront of his office and intend to sue him. If you would like to take part, in order to protect future innocent victims, and gain strength in defending ourselves from this predator, call me,

Andre at (((ROR REDACTED)))

I CAN'T AEE ANY EVIDENCE OF LEGAL WRONG DOING HERE...

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

I HATE CROOKS AS MUCH AS ANYONE BUT WHAT I SEE HERE IS ONE OF THOSE HIGHLY EMOTIONALLY CHARGED CUSTODY CASES AND NOT VERY COHERENT DETAILS OF WHAT HAPPENED THERE.

MOSTLY A LOT OF NAME-CALLING WITHOUT ANYTHING TO BACK IT UP THAT I WOULD CONSIDER VALID EVIDENCE. I WASN'T ABLE TO MAKE MUCH SENSE OUT OF IT AND SO I WROTE IT OFF AS SEMI-COHERENT RAVINGS OF A EX WHO WAS UPSET THAT THE CUSTODY ARRANGEMENT DID NOT COME OUT OF THE COURT TO HIS LIKING.
SEEMS TO ME HE STILL HAS A LOT OF ANGER ISSUES WITH THE EX WIFE THAT ARE STILL UNRESOLVED AND THAT THE POOR KID MIGHT BE USED AS A PAWN AND PLAYED BETWEEN TWO WARRING PARENTS. THIS IS SO TYPICAL AND SO DAMNED SAD!

APPARENTLY WANTING THE IMPOSSIBLE AND HAS RIPPED THROUGH TWO ATTORNEYS AND OWING MONEY TO DO SO...

AND WHEN HE CAN'T GET WHAT IS APPARENTLY IMPOSSIBLE, THROWS TANTRUM AND ACCUSATIONS OF "crook!" NAME CALLING WHEN LOGIC FAILS.

THE LADY ATTORNEY WAS "BOSSY" OR WAS SHE JUST GIVING GOOD LEGAL ADVICE WHICH I CANNOT DO AND WON'T PRESUME TO DO...HE ADMITS SHE DID HIM A GOOD JOB. HE HAS ISSUES AGAINST WOMEN -- AND NOT JUST WOMEN ATTORNEYS?

IF SHE DID HIM SUCH A GOOD JOB, WHY DID HE SEEK COUNSEL ELSEWHERE?

I RETAINED THE SAME ATTORNEY TO REPRESENT ME IN CIVIL MATTERS FOR OVER 15 YEARS UNTIL HE FINALLY RETIRED.

YOU NEVER ABANDON A GOOD ATTORNEY. YOU TREASURE THEM AND PAY THEM CASH AND BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE THEM AND GET THEM MOUNT BLANC PENS AND NICE BRIEFCASES AND THOUGHTFUL GIFTS THEY CAN USE.

HOMEBOY SHOULD HAVE HAD THE GOOD SENSE TO KNOW THE DIVORCE LAW IN HIS STATE AND HAVE HAD REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS OF WHAT TO EXCEPT IN COURT. WHO KNOWS WHAT HE WAS THINKING BUT CALLING AN ATTORNEY A CROOK FOR NO APPARENT GOOD REASON IS NOT GOOD THINKING.

I WONDER IF I STILL WANT TO EVEN BE AN ATTORNEY ANYMORE OR EVEN FINISH MY PARALEGAL DEGREE! I LOVE THE LAW BUT I DON'T THINK I WANT TO DEAL WITH FAMILY LAW!

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Preliminary Rebuttal by the Law Offices of J. Michael Kelly

AUTHOR: Law Offices Of J. Michael Kelly - (U.S.A.)

The following is a preliminary rebuttal. We are retrieving court documents from storage and other sources.

I have been a member of the California State Bar since 1969. I have been headquartered in Santa Monica for 40 years. My staff now numbers 38 people. At any one year, we may have close to 225 current clients. By doing the simple math of 225 times 40, this would result in approximately 9,000 clients served. This means, these 7,000 clients have families, daughters, sons, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, in-laws. In addition to these 9,000 clients, there was an equal amount of attorneys, paralegals, judges, minor's counsel, psychologists, detectives, accountants, and therapists.

The enormity of my service for over 40 years to California is self explanatory with these numbers. And as a result, having one or two disgruntled client is not impossible to imagine. This individual that wrote this specific Rip Off Report, specifically and intentionally omitted important facts of his case and how we served him and protected the children's best interest.

We got him visitation in Moscow despite the resistance of his wife. All you have to do to get the truth in this matter and find out how untruthful this individual this person is, is to review the file and pleadings located at the courthouse in downtown Los Angeles the case number is ####. He failed to pay his bill. We have a $3500 judgment against him and he bankrupted out. The file will show his inappropriate and maniacal behavior towards his ex-wife.

This individual did not have the courage or integrity to provide his accurate name and initials. We did trace him through his email address.

The second report was written by an individual who was put in jail because of his behavior regarding his ex-wife and daughter. He was jailed based on his own inappropriate behavior. We got him overnight expanded custody.

I would be willing to speak to anybody in regards to comments or concerns. Please feel free to contact me at no charge at (310) 393-0236.

AUTHOR: Ruready2tapout - (U.S.A.)

Please email me with your contact info so we can put our info together for the bar.

Michael Kelly ripped me off also!

AUTHOR: Ruready2tapout - (U.S.A.)

Will, Please call me as soon as possible. Michael Kelly ripped me off as well and I have even more stuff than you mentioned in your story. Did you file a complaint with the bar? Please call me as soon as possible Ryan

#10 Consumer Suggestion

State Bar Options

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

I know this does not help get the OSC before the judge. But, you can seek the return of unearned fees back. By your complaint you found the "State Bar's" web site. You will find on that same site the protocal for filing a comp-laint against a attorney. Attorney's like doctors must maintain malpractice insurance to stay licensed.

Though it may take time and energy to try and recover monies/damages, might be worth it. I realize that it is now always wise to go in pro se but if money is tight after giving it all to this attorney, you can go to the clerks office of the Court which has jurisdiction and request a blank OSC package. It comes with directions for pro se filings. Some Courts also provide Assistence/links on their Web sites as to document preparation. You might also qualify for a Application for Fee Waiver (Court Filing Fees) should you need it.

Good Luck