Complaint Review: JANNETH M. ZOMBAS

• Updated: Thu, May 17, 2012

• Reported By: felicia — BLUFFTON South Carolina United States of America
JANNETH M. ZOMBAS
52 anglican road Internet United States of America

JANNETH M. ZOMBAS BRIAN K. KORTA I SENT $1250 BY WESTERN UNION TO MR.ZOMBAS FOR A RENTAL POSTED ON CRAIGSLIST AT 81 MUIRFIELD RD. OKATIE, SC 29909 victoria island Internet

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: FALSE COMPLAINT - SCAMMER FROM NIGERIA USED MY NAME!!!

*General Comment: Didn't you ever read online or on Craigslist about rental scams?

*Consumer Comment: Nigeria?

I recently was on Craigslist and I saw an advertisement for a 3bd/2ba house in Eagle's Point, 81 Muirfield Drive Okatie, SC 29909 for rent at $750 a month and $500 security deposit. The contact information given was to email zjannethm@yahoo.com. I did that as soon as I saw it and a Mrs. Zombas emailed me with what they expect out of me if they should rent me the home, what was included in the rent, and she wanted me to fill out a short rental form, but the form asked basic questions no personal questions about my social security, birth, etc. I filled it out and sent it back and heard from a Mr. Zomba since then with the application and me being accepted as their new tennant. He then said before I could get the keys I needed to send him the security deposit of $500 I did that on May 10. As soon as I did it I emailed him with the Western Union mtcn number. He called me to let me know he received it and emailed me. Then said Fedex would be at my door by 10am the next day and that he is a man of God that him and his wife were doing Missionary work  with World Changers and will be out of the country for 2-3yrs. they just wanted someone to take care of their home, because they let the realtors and bank rent before and had issues with the last tennants, plus being Godly people they saw how the realtors was charging more than what they pay for the house and they don't want that to happen to anyone so they decided to handle the rental. The next day no Fedex, but he called and said the Accelerator told him before he sent the keys to me I needed to send the first months rent so I sent him on May 14 Western Union $750 for the first month, both time not sending it in his name, but to a Brian K. Korta 52 Anglican Road Victoria Island, Lagos 23401 in Nigeria. Again Fedex was to be at my home by 10am the next day no Fedex. I trusted that he was the man of God he said he was, because I trusted this was a blessing from God. He calls now stating that customs stopped my package and I needed to provide them with my address and signiture and I had to send $500, now reality kicked in because I work for the postal service and know you don't pay that much for a key to be sent to the US. I now realize the money I entrusted to him was now gone if he was whom he said he was. I emailed him practically begging him to please refund me my money because that money was money I need to find a place for my family and I trusted that his home was the place. Now I have no down payment for anything and I have until May 30 to be moved from where I am now. With fees and money sent through Western Union I lost $1325 since sending this I have not heard from him or received a call, before then he will call everyday or email me convincing me that he is who he is, but it was all a lie because if he was truly a man of God he would not hesitate to send my money. I have kept every email, document he emailed, and every phone number he used to call me along with my Western Union transactions. I pray someone helps me because I have less than two weeks to move and the money I gave him was a down payment for a rental that I can afford because I can no longer afford where I am. I live paycheck to paycheck and receive very little hours at work.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2012 05:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JANNETH-M-ZOMBAS/internet/JANNETH-M-ZOMBAS-BRIAN-K-KORTA-I-SENT-1250-BY-WESTERN-UNION-TO-MRZOMBAS-FOR-A-RENTAL-P-883959. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JANNETH M. ZOMBAS

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

FALSE COMPLAINT - SCAMMER FROM NIGERIA USED MY NAME!!!

AUTHOR: Janneth - ()

This is a totally false complaint against my name.  My husband and I rented our house through a property mgmt company and they posted the ad on Craigslist.  From this posting, the scammer must have taken our property information to find my name online and to create another posting. This scammer created an email with my name and pretended to be me.  Also, this scammer pretended to be my husband when he called from Nigeria. We live in the US and my husband and I are not missionaries. We’ve never been to Nigeria and we don’t know anybody that lives in Nigeria. Moreover, we don’t know anybody with that name whom she sent the money to in Nigeria.

I don’t even know why she sent the money in the first place (and sent it to Nigeria) without someone showing the inside of the house in person.

Also, it looks like I cannot have this complaint removed or changed from this website without paying thousands of dollars in legal fees. My husband and I are victims of this as well, just like the woman that sent the money.

WHO SENDS MONEY TO SOMEONE IN NIGERIA FOR A PRODUCT OR PROPERTY THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN? DOES THIS MAKES SENSE?

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE NOT PART OF THIS SCAM!!!

#2 General Comment

Didn't you ever read online or on Craigslist about rental scams?

AUTHOR: Keli - (United States of America)

Nigerian rental scams are one of the oldest, most well known scams on the Internet. I'm sorry you were ripped off but from now on don't ever send money via Western Union or any similar way. Always pay by credit card so your protected and get get your money back if something should happen to you. Also goggle internet scams and learn about common scams online. You need to do a lot of research on scams before you ever drop another dime online. You should check out every company you are considering a transaction with before you follow thru. There are just too many thieves out there nowadays.

Nigeria?

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

I'm guessing that you must be new to the Internet.    Anything having to do with Nigeria is a scam.  It is one of the country's chief industries.

I'm afraid you're out of luck on this one.   Besides sending money to Nigeria, sending W.U. transfers to anyone you don't know personally is always a scam.  So is paying a depsit and rent on a house that you have not personally inspected.

At the top of every Craigslist housing post is the following warning :

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any arrangement involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, or a landlord/owner who is out of the country or cannot meet you in person.  "

That warning is there for very obvious reasons.